Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

What do you want to see in the next Doom?

Voros said:

Doom is filled with puzzles!
E1M1: Hmm, how do I get that blue armor laying about in that toxic pool, outside? Maybe there's a switch around here.
E1M3: Hmm, how do I get that the Soulsphere on display?... Wait, did I hear an elevator go down?
E2M1: Hmm, how do get past this red door? Maybe a red keycard is hidden somewhere.

Its everywhere in Doom!

there's some stuff like that in doom2016 too. By puzzles i thought the more elaborate ones in hexen 1/2. Also some things in doom2 and finaldoom annoyed me, shouldnt have been there.

Voros said:

Doom is filled with puzzles!
E1M1: Hmm, how do I get that blue armor laying about in that toxic pool, outside? Maybe there's a switch around here.
E1M3: Hmm, how do I get that the Soulsphere on display?... Wait, did I hear an elevator go down?
E2M1: Hmm, how do get past this red door? Maybe a red keycard is hidden somewhere.

Its everywhere in Doom!

Yeah, but they are usually reserved for the secrets and those few puzzles that are required to progress are typically really simple and easy.

What people mean when they say that "puzzles are not Doom" is that we don't want some really complex, cerebral puzzle to suddenly bring the action to a screeching halt, because you're forced to do the puzzle to progress and can't do diddley-squat before you've figured out the puzzle.
Easy ones are ok, because they don't get you stuck and unable to keep killing for hours if you're not used to puzzle-solving.

I'm pretty sure no one is asking for DOOM to go all-out Portal. Hell, the portals that do exist in the new game are the ugliest and most simplistic teleporters that graced a game in years :-D .

Even though the arenas in DOOM are very well designed and fun, I'd say my main request for DOOM II would be to make the levels feel more unpredictable and open. The one significant flaw with DOOM is that the player can generally predict what's going to happen when they walk into a room. The player shouldn't know what to expect around every corner. That keeps the experience consistently engaging and less repetitive.

Some of the later levels featured occasional classic Doom surprises and traps, especially in Titan's Realm. I know people complained that Doom 3 was all monster closets, so id Software probably avoided using traps for the most part, but I'd like to see more of that. I loved the skull switch fake-out in Titan's Realm, as well as the Mancubus monster closet in the acid room.

And going back to levels being open, I think we can all agree that the levels should be fully explorable throughout the progress of the level, and it would be great if most of the levels encouraged open-ended exploration like The Foundry and Argent Facility. It adds a whole extra layer of engagement without detracting from anything. About half of the DOOM levels were open-ended, but I'd like that to be more of the norm.

Besides that, I agree that a futuristic Earth setting would be cool to see in the sequel. I also agree that it would be really cool to see some battles take place on moving platforms, like fighting on a train or elevator. Like this but with a cooler backdrop:

I want to see more of a balance between horror and action. Certainly the new Doom has action that's for sure. But I never genuinely feel terrified by anything in particular.

IMHO the demons should be grotesque, scary, horrifying, and quite frankly I should feel scared if I'm low on ammo. Not to mention, that Hell should be more otherworldly and disturbing.

Looking at Xen from Half-Life, Hell from Doom 3, Hell from Doom 64, and Lovecraftian stuff could prove rather useful.

I'd like to see more classic-styled demons, or at least variants of the already-existing demons but the original classic ones just reimagined.

I'd like to see more actual gore, as opposed to just chunks of meat; and burn-away effect from Doom 3. I know it's done for the framerate, but would it hurt to just disable the physics once the corpses drop? Like in Halo or Dark Souls? Then you wouldn't have the issue of disappearing corpses.

I for one like seeing the dead bodies, if only because it shows how truly detailed the blood and gore system is.

The new Doom is pretty gory, but I wish the chunks of meat feature could be toned down a bit. :P

Cause it's not even detailed gore like Brutal Doom. It's just meat.

TAPETRVE said:

I'm pretty sure no one is asking for DOOM to go all-out Portal. Hell, the portals that do exist in the new game are the ugliest and most simplistic teleporters that graced a game in years :-D .

Thats one of my main issues with the last mission. Everything is nicley tone in tone and then there are these baby-blue and glowing red portals. They are so off. I dont know why they made them look like this. And i hate the jump-pads too. Those and the portals look like from another game. For me they both dont fit in the rest of the design.

I'd like to see levels with a darker ambiance when it comes to music, similar to levels like E1M3, not creepy but not too heavy. Something fitting to a tough battle as well as for exploration, without a need for change.

Also if the upgrade system was changed, I'm ok with it but the issue is that there is too many of them, It gets a little ridiculous in my opinion.

EDIT: Also, Arachnotrons.

DoomzRules said:

A quad-barreled shotgun. Because why not?

Because that would be so overpowered it would overshadow other weapons...

GoatLord said:

Because that would be so overpowered it would overshadow other weapons...

yeah unbelievable how powerful the ssg is in doom 16, feels ever more powerful than in doom and doom2. And that before quad damage lol. Only tradeoff is close distance, but hey you cant have it all.

massivefanofdoom said:

yeah unbelievable how powerful the ssg is in doom 16, feels ever more powerful than in doom and doom2. And that before quad damage lol. Only tradeoff is close distance, but hey you cant have it all.

the double shot is kind of OP. I enjoy using the SSG more before its upgraded.

You know there are various modifications for 3 barrel shotguns in real life. I dont think you can shoot all 3 at once though, or even 2 like in the game. I had read once its sort of possible but needs complex mechanisms and can damage the shotgun and the recoil would be insane on some old school SXS double barrel.

2 SSG shots and a gauss cannon blast will insta kill a revenant

As for what he want to see; I'd love to see less linear levels with more secrets (field drones should be abandoned imho, they should be replaced with actually finding the weapon mod)

A few new weapons would be cool (if they are useful and unique)

More than 13 levels

Better multiplayer

Bosses with other demons roaming around

And finally; co op campaign levels (separate from the main levels)

Part of me wants Livvy to survive the death of the Spider Mastermind, and then be forced by the DOOMguy to join up with him against Hayden.

I suspect hardware advancements will allow id to abandon the formulaic exploration/arena approach. We'll probably see a return to form where you can explore large stretches of area and have dozens of enemies coming after you at once. I would be really surprised if it still weren't feasible to do that by the time the sequel is in development.

I'm down for quad barrel shotgun. Make it dual weidling too, 8 barrels total with grenade launcher attachments.

A new powerup called AntMode where your doom guy turns into an ant that stands up straight on his two back legs and has 4 arms free to carry an extra two 4 barrel shotguns so let's make that 16 barrels total.

TheWizard said:

A new powerup called AntMode where your doom guy turns into an ant that stands up straight on his two back legs and has 4 arms free to carry an extra two 4 barrel shotguns so let's make that 16 barrels total.

That is messed up.

TheWizard said:

That's laughable, if there was ever something like that, i'd be laughing non-stop till i fell off my chair.

DoomzRules said:

True. But I mean something like 2 barrels on top of 2 barrels. :P

Shadow Warrior 2013 says hello.

In all seriousness though, I want more ambience and more horror-esque stuff in the next Doom.

I get that they were not really aiming for a horror vibe, but the original Doom scared the shit out of people back in the day.

Sure it was an first-person shooter, and sure it DID make you feel like a badass, but it also scared the living shit out of people, because of how HELLISH the Hell section felt and how it showed the surrealness of Hell and stuff.

I mean the Doom 2016 Hell is great and all, but it honestly feels like something out of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion or World of Warcraft or Diablo 3....

It doesn't feel scary and intimidating like Diablo 1, 2, or even the original Doom games which were very scary!

Hell should BE scary!

Oh and I wish and hope and pray that the next Doom game is as disturbing as PSX/N64 Doom was. :3

I Doubt it, Doom is more of an Action game than a Horror game, Hell wasn't meant to "Scare you" in the New game.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I Doubt it, Doom is more of an Action game than a Horror game, Hell wasn't meant to "Scare you" in the New game.

Yeah I know. But the next Doom should draw upon the disturbing vibe that Doom 64 and PSX Doom had.