Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fonze

DoomWorld Flagged as "Harmful" by Bing

Idk how Bing even wound up as my default search engine, (thanks Windows updates!) but I just searched for something and found something else:

So... yeah; don't visit DoomWorld because apparently it's "unsafe," heh. At least enough so to where you need to click the little link under the "WARNING!" label to continue to the site.

The Bing Conspiracy! Propaganda machines and big corporations, man! Brainwashing the masses!

Heh, but that is a bit curious in all seriousness.

Also found it interesting that Bing used a straight quote from the wikia, too, at the top of the results... Never mind, total conspiracy. Get out your pitchforks and torches; we're gonna burn the internet down.

I assume that's because it has links to EXEs and stuff? That's fucking lame.

e: ok so Bing specifically lists doomlegacy_1.44_alpha5_win32.zip and xwe116.zip as malware for some reason???

Here I thought the Bing malware warning would be because of ads displayed at the bottom of the site/forum. That happened here a few times some years back. I can't really tell nowadays due to Adblock.

Fonze said:

Idk how Bing even wound up as my default search engine, (thanks Windows updates!)

Bing is malware.

Linguica said:

I assume that's because it has links to EXEs and stuff? That's fucking lame.

e: ok so Bing specifically lists doomlegacy_1.44_alpha5_win32.zip and xwe116.zip as malware for some reason???

Ah interesting; I was wondering where the cause could have been, but figured it had to have been some hosted file. I (probably wrongly) figured due to a package containing a server program or something like IPXSETUP.EXE. Thanks for the info.

I agree that it is really fucking lame; not only that there is a "WARNING!" label, and not only that you cannot click the real link to get to the site (but must click the little one in the warning label), but also at the strong wording of the warning label, "We recommend you choose another result ..." pretty much is going to turn away any new traffic that is previously unaware of this site's existence and looking for some random info (on Doom).

Why some of you use Bing anyway? Afaik, there's no advantage of using Bing over Google.. Is Google too mainstream or something?

ChekaAgent said:

Why some of you use Bing anyway? Afaik, there's no advantage of using Bing over Google.. Is Google too mainstream or something?

Well...whenever I need to fuck up with my computer's BIOS clock for some reason, all Google services cease functioning, since they reverted to secure connections. Bing, for one, remains usable. In any case, it's always good to have alternatives at one's disposal.

"Warning! This site contains user-made files for an outdated software application, which can harm the safe and secure computing experience we have created for you."

"We recommend you choose another site, one that we have endorsed."

(well not yet, but eventually :p)

Linguica said:

Where are the jokes about it being true for xwe?

ChekaAgent said:

Bing's image search knocks the socks off Google. For basic web search it's not so good though.

Jon said:

Bing's image search knocks the socks off Google. For basic web search it's not so good though.

Everyone uses basic search. The rest comes along, like images, videos, etc.

TBH I hate Bing for that stupid "our homepage background is giant picture!". Uses your precious internet data to load a picture no one wants to see. We just want to search for something.

Google Search. Simple and gets the job done with little data usage.

Yeah, I'm pretty picky with how much MB I use.

Voros said:

Google Search. Simple and gets the job done with little data usage.

DuckDuckGo does all that and it doesn't give away your results to NSA. Why do people use Google in 2016 is beyond my mind. :]

bzzrak said:

DuckDuckGo does all that and it doesn't give away your results to NSA. Why do people use Google in 2016 is beyond my mind. :]

Actually I don't think anyone can refuse to give their results/logs to the NSA, if asked, at least not if they want to host a public search engine and they don't want all sorts of legal and bureaucratic "accidents" to start happening.

kuchitsu said:

I wanted to, but meh.

Doom Legacy is an interesting choice as well.

ChekaAgent said:

Bing has an uncensored image search, Google is good for its reverse image search though, when it works properly.

Cyanosis said:

Bing has an uncensored image search

Is this something more than what you get when you turn the "Safe Search" option off?

I think the bing image search UI is much nicer. I preferred Google's until they reworked it in the last couple of years.

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Is this something more than what you get when you turn the "Safe Search" option off?

Nope it behaves exactly like Google's disabled safe search used to, when Google wasn't trying to be a net nanny.

kuchitsu said:

I was going to, but I was reading the thread on ipod and fuck typing on those things.

Linguica said:

Yesterday when this thread started, I was going to comment on the possibility of terrywads and stuff as the cause, but I said "no, no way that can be why".

Holy shit.

Well Ling, you know what to do: Put XWE to sleep.

All jokes aside, why did it got caught in their radar? A suspicious DLL file?

Probably no Windows 10 compliance.

Both of those are actually malicious nowadays to be perfectly honest :D