Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
John Rambo 787

How to run Doom and Final doom on ePSXe

First of all, If your having trouble running Doom and Final Doom on your ePSXe emulator.
Experiencing loading screen just sitting and not loading when u start up the game?
Here's what u have to do.

1. Run ePSXe.
2. Load Doom or Final Doom cue file, not bin cuz the CD media will not load therefore the game will hang at the loading screen.

I'm using ePSXe 1.9.0, but it should work for any ePSXe versions.

I hope this solves your loading problem.

for anyone who's been having problem with loading Doom and Final Doom on their PlayStation emulator.

I know lots of people have been looking for ways to get Doom psx iso's to work on their emulators.

that's why I posted this thread.

Have you considered trying Mednafen or the Mednafen core in Retroarch? I heard that they tend to have higher accuracy and compatibility than ePSXe.

Ok... Here we go:
First of all you must chose the video drive. Each game in ePSXe requires his own video driver. For example for Duke Nukem 3D you must use freshest driver but ever there exist a few graphical glitches.
The faster way to find out which driver requires a game is just pick one of them - press 'nice' button and then launch.

Spoiler

Sound driver: P.E.Op.S. Sound audio driver 1.10
CD-Driver: SaPu's CD-ROM Plugin 1.3 (better to test others too)

But i recommend to use ISO files. More easy, less lags.

Danfun64 said:

Have you considered trying Mednafen or the Mednafen core in Retroarch? I heard that they tend to have higher accuracy and compatibility than ePSXe.

I'll try it out, but I know u still have to load the cue file for it to load.
cuz lot of psx games have streamed media which can't be played without loading the cue file.

Azuruish said:

Ok... Here we go:
First of all you must chose the video drive. Each game in ePSXe requires his own video driver. For example for Duke Nukem 3D you must use freshest driver but ever there exist a few graphical glitches.
The faster way to find out which driver requires a game is just pick one of them - press 'nice' button and then launch.

Sound driver: P.E.Op.S. Sound audio driver 1.10
CD-Driver: SaPu's CD-ROM Plugin 1.3 (better to test others too)

But i recommend to use ISO files. More easy, less lags.

I use Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.7 for the Video plugin.
ePSXe SPU core 1.90. is recommended for Doom and Final Doom. don't use P.E.Open.S. Sound audio driver 1.10 cuz the streamed media for doom will not play.

Instructions:
ePSXe 1.9.0
Video: Pete's Open GL2 Driver 2.9 
Sound: P.E.Op.S DSound Audio Driver 1.9
Cdrom: mooby2 cd disk image driver 2.8
File=>Run CDROM=>Show:all files=>Doom.cue=>enjoy:)

CDROM.png

Doom and Final doom use relative paths to play music files. Game hangs to the [ LOADING... ] screen due to a bad file naming.
Make sure your .bin files are named exactly like this : PSXDOOM.bin or PSXFINALDOOM.bin , otherwise game wouldn't find the path to the intro music it's supposed to play after the loading screen (PSXDOOM\CDAUDIO\DOOMMAIN.RAW).
Then the game should work fine.
Hope I've explained it well ... Kisses from France <3

I was one of those persons who thought that Doom will never run on the ePSXe emulator. Luckily, I have found PsyDoom. So for me there is no need anymore to play PSXDoom on an emulator.

and for those who still want to use emulation (most likely to play the psx master edition beta 4, as it is not supported on psydoom), duckstation is the best option you got.

Duckstation is the only PS1 emulator worth using at this point, its true. It also has full support for RetroAchievements, with both Doom and Final Doom having full sets to earn. Although a few of them are utterly ridiculous..

I haven't used ePSXe in ages now, I'm mainly just used Duckstation. I Very much recommend Duckstation, gold star.

9 hours ago, Devalaous said:

Duckstation is the only PS1 emulator worth using at this point, its true. It also has full support for RetroAchievements, with both Doom and Final Doom having full sets to earn. Although a few of them are utterly ridiculous..

Does Duckstation require RetroArch? Or am I thinking of Beetle?

Just now, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Does Duckstation require RetroArch? Or am I thinking of Beetle?

Last I remember there is a Duckstation on Retroarch (under a different name I think), but the main one doesn't require it.

Just now, Mr Masker said:

Last I remember there is a Duckstation on Retroarch (under a different name I think), but the main one doesn't require it.

Cool, thanks. I hated RetroArch's UI. PSX emulators have always been a real pain in the ass for me. epsxe just kind of sucks, Beetle on RetroArch has cool things like texture replacement, widescreen, and the ability to "fix" PSX wobbly geometry, but the interface sucks. I find PSX emulators to be more of a hassle than any other console. Still haven't found anything that can run DQVII without some kind of issue.

image.png

Duckstation was so good, its UI and systems ended up in PCSX2 when the lead developer jumped to that project

Stenzek is still working on DuckStation IIRC! Development resumed a few months after it was paused, he just needed to step away for a bit. Some PCSX2 improvements have made their way back to DuckStation - Controller mapping in particular is so much nicer now.

On 1/1/2023 at 11:30 PM, DoodlesGDX said:

and for those who still want to use emulation (most likely to play the psx master edition beta 4, as it is not supported on psydoom), duckstation is the best option you got.

This.

For anyone else who reads this topic, while the general recommendation would still by PsyDoom, for those who really want the authentic experience (framerate and all), please use DuckStation, or RetroArch's BeetlePSX core (and/or whatever they call their DuckStation core).

ePSXe was a good emulator back in the day, but it's simply outclassed by either of those options in emulation accuracy, reduced complications due to not being plugin-based emulators (is the bug in the emulator, or the plugin?), and a whole bunch of other technical shit that I'd be happy to bore you with if you wanted to ask me about it.

Trust me on this. I've seen a lot of emulators come and go in twenty years. Just because it was widespread and popular does not mean it will always be so - otherwise, we'd still be using NESticle, Gens, and UltraHLE.

And if those all sound like Greek to you, you should DEFINITELY be taking my advice.

6 hours ago, Lollie said:

Stenzek is still working on DuckStation IIRC! Development resumed a few months after it was paused, he just needed to step away for a bit. Some PCSX2 improvements have made their way back to DuckStation - Controller mapping in particular is so much nicer now.

He's madly updating PCSX2 right now, the daily changes almost always have his name on there in recent days, but yeah, Duckstation is still under development and getting updates hre and there, if youve got the development branch active.