Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Machine Games releases new Quake episode

Just one question: what does DOPA mean?

Kind of need to know for my Steam shortcut ...

One thing is for sure, this episode is no joke when it comes to difficulty, if you wanna beat this episode, you better find those secrets and i mean it.

I only had time to play through the first level, but it was quality. Very slip-gate-complexy. Looking forward to playing through the rest when I have time.

raymoohawk said:

i am stupid,, how can i play this?

Drop the dopa folder into your quake directory and dbl click winquake dopa batch file :) took me a few mins

BTW this mapset is really good, pretty damn hard though

Very cool! I think it's safe to say they have a love and appreciation of the original Quake game. I'd like to see them officially do a spin on it if they did.

Very linear. Secrets are really easy to find.

MachineGames knows how to make great games, but Quake maps? Eh, not so much.

Well there's already tons of epic user maps on various Quake related sites but I guess these guys did a decent enough job.

Could there be a hint for a Single Player Quake Reboot by Machinegames after releasing the DOPA episode for Classic Quake 1?

JoeKilledKenney2016 said:

Could there be a hint for a Single Player Quake Reboot by Machinegames after releasing the DOPA episode for Classic Quake 1?

I'd be down haha, and to the others saying it was too easy to find secrets I feel embarrassed to say I didn't find all of them on any of the levels

Just downloaded it, just haven't gotten the chance to play it.

But hearing it was linear... That doesn't sound like my cup of tea since this is Quake after all, but never the less I'll still give it a try.

AnonimVio said:

I agree with this for first 3-4 levels, but later maps are at the same level as id's maps imo.

Now it's quite clear that they are testing the ground, to see if there is demand for a Quake single player. I don't think they will just make 11 maps as a fan service, plus they made quality maps.

I guess now we have a 3rd official expansion for Quake.

AnonimVio said:

MachineGames knows how to make great games, but Quake maps? Eh, not so much.

It's quite clear that you didn't bother playing past the first map.

AnonimVio said:

Secrets are really easy to find.

True that - this is maybe the major flaw in this mapset. The entrance leading to the Nightmare skill is a prime example : all you have to do is explore a slight bit off the beaten path, and tada, there you go.
I'd tend to agree on the linearity thing as well - you definitely won't get lost in these maps.

Other than that, still, DOPA is a really good episode. A pleasant surprise, I certainly didn't expect that.
I love how old-school it is, with solid, classic Quake themes ( base, castle, runic etc. ). Only E4 themes are missing, sadly.

Gameplay is deliciously challenging, and manageable in Nightmare skill. I just wished they included all the classic enemies, as well as a more memorable ending map, but overall it's been a fantastic experience all the way through. I'd recommend it to any Quake fan. Also, yay traps. :>

Played it through just yesterday, enjoyed it a lot. Possibly even more so than OG Quake.

On map 3, it's possible to reach a secret from the wrong way with a grenade jump, and then when you actually activate the secret door from its back side, you get squashed and pushed out in the void. :v

On map 4, I'm trying to find out how to open the quad damage secret. Shooting the switch behind the blocking, err, block opened something somewhere (I heard the noises) but not that. I don't know what it did exactly, I suspect it's the secret area with the yellow armor in the crusher gauntlet but I'm not sure.

Anyway, no, secrets aren't always easy.

FYI this episode was made by J.F.Gustaffson, not the whole of MachineGames as is suggested.

I plowed through the episode in one sitting. Damn, it was very good. Not too easy, and not too hard.

The linearity wasn't exactly a bad thing, since it's only rather noticeable in the first few levels. I wouldn't mind Gustaffson (or maybe even more machine games members) making more of these, because they're thoroughly enjoyable.

Jerk Gustafsson is the Executive Producer of Machinegames. He made the DOPA episode of Quake. There has to be a hint for a New Single Player Quake Reboot.

Do you guys think that Machinegames made DOPA episode just to give us a hint for a Single Player Quake Reboot at QuakeCon or just for the 20th Anniversary?