Find results in...
Blastfrog

Why all the hate for The Chasm?

Crunchynut44 said:

One could even say the map made good use of...sarchasm

Ill see myself out.

Ow, I cut myself on your wit's ledge.

MetroidJunkie said:

That one couple of platforms with the invulnerability sphere, they raised the more you pressed use around the edge so you could make the center piece (...) raise all the way up to the ceiling.

Doom's linedef actions (and many other map design elements) are not only very inflexible, but often weirdly impractical. They totally could have coded a faster and slightly modified version of the donut effect (floors go up/down to their surrounding sector's height) that would work perfectly for that particular platform, maybe with just a little change to map design.

I always liked the first room with the waterfalls in that level, it's very open and resembles an underground cave. The part of the level I didn't like is whenever the pack of lost souls show up in the platforming segment, they should have put a teleporter there in case you fell in (which is very likely for new players.)

scifista42 said:

Doom's linedef actions (and many other map design elements) are not only very inflexible, but often weirdly impractical.

Looks as though many line specials were made on the fly as needed with little forethought or order put into them.

That's how much of the game's mechanics felt like, to be honest, that they were winging it. Guess it makes sense, it broke so much ground and they probably didn't have too much time to sit there and think about everything.

Chasm is only really memorable if you're pistol starting it because, all of a sudden, getting to that shotgun (and maybe rocket launcher) becomes your life-line, especially on UV.

Unf said:

its platforming elements.

= type of level that makes me quit in no time :p