Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Valerio

First attempt of making sprites

Hello,

My name is Valerio, I'm french, I'm 15 years old and I've got ASD (I'm autistic). Freedoom is the first video game I've played, and I love it. I've tried to draw some sprites of a new monster called "deadmask" on Paint, are they any good ? I don't really know what size they should be, actually...
http://valadami.deviantart.com/art/Deadmask-617791121

Hi there, Valerio.
I appreciate the honesty with your disorder. I too have Asperger's and it's interesting that many creatives have ASD.
You have made a valiant effort with your sprites, especially for your first attempt.
Quite a inventive design too! I can say that it would benefit from more detailed shading and definition, especially for the red flames and the explosion.
Also the design may be a tad too cartoony, but that's just my opinion.
You defiantly have some natural talent here. A warm welcome to Doomworld, Valerio!

Valerio said:

Hello,

My name is Valerio, I'm french, I'm 15 years old and I've got ASD (I'm autistic). Freedoom is the first video game I've played, and I love it. I've tried to draw some sprites of a new monster called "deadmask" on Paint, are they any good ? I don't really know what size they should be, actually...
http://valadami.deviantart.com/art/Deadmask-617791121

well then, welcome, I guess...

As a man who contributed some stuff to freedoom... welp, you tried. Basically, concept is altight but you'll need something better than Paint. I personally recommend Paint.net. A bit better alternative + it's totally free.

Those ones need a lot of hard work yet.

Blueworrior said:

it's interesting that many creatives have ASD.

Because people with ASD need to be heard. Creation of art is most common way for them. And easy as well.

Thanks to all of you for your answers and advice. I've downloaded paint.net, and I'll try again to make sprites, more realistic and less "cartony" (although I love cartoons...).

See you soon !

Valerio, you have a very interesting art style. One thing though, don't forget that in the game the sprite will be stretched vertically because of aspect ratio correction, so you might want to take that into account when spriting.

On another note, there's a game project called Shaw's Nightmare which is similar to Doom but runs on the Build engine (Duke Nukem 3D etc.). The game concept is that it takes place in a nightmarish world, but the characters, while being cartoonish in design, are often somewhat generic and/or underdetailed. It seems to me that the monster you have designed would feel at home in Shaw's Nightmare and I think it would be interesting to see what other outlandish creatures you could create for that game - provided you find it interesting for yourself that is :)

hello fellow Aspie welcome to doomworld... also your sprites are really nice.. they kinda remind me of a game called "off"...

too bad that game has a cancerous fandom