Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Am I the only one that likes the Doom movie?

raymoohawk said:

it would have been so cool if fraggle had gotten his cameo XD

if the movie had been released this year i think there would have been a wave of angry people who never played doom but were pissed off that doomguy was aparently black. but when the movie got released and they realized that the rock was not doomguy some of them would start blindingly celebrating the movie. a few of the 15 year olds would then join doomworld just to make threads defending the movie and expressing how much they hate other young people and how they were born in the wrong generation

It was always known Rock was playing the "Sarge" and Karl Urban was playing the main guy
Also, no, people wouldn't complain about the doomguy being black, because the Rock is in a much higher pedestal now than he was when the movie came out. Plus he's the fucking Rock.
Dwayne Johnson starred in Doom
If it was present day, The Rock would've starred in Doom
Big (slight) difference

I thought the Rock was more famous back then, perhaps I'm mistaken. I watched his Daily Show appearance just a few days before seeing it and was glad they confirmed he wasn't the actual Doomguy, for no other reason than Karl Urban's look matching up better with the in-game mug.

Sodaholic said:

Well, am I?

No, there are 7/8 billion people on this planet at least, not to mention a lot of animals and an infinite amount of inanimate objects (plus aliens from outer space). At least one of them will like it and not just you.

Not to get into a semantics argument, but it has not been proven (nor can it be with current technology) that there are an infinite number of inanimate objects.

Plus we can cut on that human population figure by a good half, if not 5/6 ths, if we assume that watching (let alone liking) a movie based on a video game franchise is a first world problem, at best.

I get the feeling that since Doom '16 has been successful (so far), there may be justification in attempting another Hollywood adaptation. I suspect that, given how corny and god-awful the first attempt was, whatever the new one ends up being will likely be at least marginally better.

Cmon, we all know by now that only Uwe Boll has a chance of making an even remotely interesting Doom movie.

His movies may be catastrophic, which is of course interesting, by the actual content is often just boring. That's worse than making a bad movie. I have to say he did some funny things with Postal, and yet I couldn't bring mysef to finish it, lol.

We just need to show Uwe some mods like DMCHOSHO and the Cybie series, I'm sure he'll get some interesting ideas.

AndyW said:

Doom Movie sucks like cocks in Hell!

FTFY

I have to give the art team props for the set pieces, most of which felt UAC-y, and the monster puppets, which despite their extremely limited mobility captured some of Doom 3's designs well. It's just a shame there's so few of them.

I didn't feel the puppets in the movie did justice to the Doom 3 designs. They felt a little bit too much like random lumps of flesh. Maybe except pinky.

GoatLord said:

His movies may be catastrophic, which is of course interesting, by the actual content is often just boring. That's worse than making a bad movie. I have to say he did some funny things with Postal, and yet I couldn't bring mysef to finish it, lol.

Postal was his best work and is one of the few video game movies that is actually similar to the game.
I think a Wolfenstein movie could be good. Might just end up being an Indiana Jones ripoff, but hey, those are still enjoyable!

GoatLord said:

I get the feeling that since Doom '16 has been successful (so far), there may be justification in attempting another Hollywood adaptation. I suspect that, given how corny and god-awful the first attempt was, whatever the new one ends up being will likely be at least marginally better.

Who needs a Hollywood adaptation when this short film is the best Doom movie ever?

I feel the Doom movie sucked because it forgot what made Doom Doom.

Evil Dead 2 + Aliens (1986) + Dungeons & Dragons + copious amounts of 80's and early 90's thrash metal = Doom (1993).

Anyway, my ideal Doom movie would be a mix of Evil Dead 2, Event Horizon, Aliens (1986), Alien (1979), and yah.

Like the tech would be retro-futuristic like the Aliens franchise.

The demons would be straight from the Doom games.

The gore would come from the games and also from Evil Dead 2.

The twisted Hellish environments would come from The Shores of Hell, Event Horizon, and of course Inferno.

I think though.... that if you are going to explain the demons.... just say that someone "accidentally" read a Sumerian Book of Teleportation out loud while trying to figure out the secrets to opening up a portal between Phobos and Deimos, and it conjured up demons from the Sumerian Hell instead. (huge shoutout to Evil Dead 2 there. :3)

So yah, just my two cents. :P

I watched it a long time ago and thought it got much more hate than it deserved. Of course it seemed like the monsters were more of aliens than demons and it really had nothing to do with Doom but it wasn't bad. Just not Doom

I thought it was an ok sci-fi movie, but awful as a Doom movie. The genome angle was just stupid. I'm not necessarily in the "It's not Doom without demons from Hell" camp, because I enjoyed the Doom novels, but they at least came up with a semi-plausible explanation for not having actual demons (for anyone who hasn't read them, the invasion is orchestrated by powerful aliens who surveyed Earth centuries ago and genetically engineered the monsters to look demonic/mythical, thinking humans would still be uber-religious and fall apart when confronted by them and they'd easily overrun us).

Some parts of the movie were awful though, like the douche-chills-inducing scene in the beginning where the arm gets severed in the door. So cheesy. I actually didn't enjoy the FPS sequence that much, it was a cool idea but the action had to be slow as fuck so you could actually tell what was going on, kind of took me out of the immersion.

Face23785 said:

I actually didn't enjoy the FPS sequence that much, it was a cool idea but the action had to be slow as fuck so you could actually tell what was going on, kind of took me out of the immersion.

So, despite the Doom movie being based on Doom 3, the FPS scene was more like Doom 2k16? ;)

I've seen worse. I didn't particularly hate it, but I wouldn't ever call it a good movie. It's been a few years since I last saw it though. I remember being slightly weirded out by Sam and John's relationship, that it crossed some sort of intimacy border it really shouldn't have, but I can't remember exactly what it was anymore. I know I'm not about to rewatch it just to confirm it.

I thought the Rock and Karl Urban were both good in it, not so sure about the rest of the cast. And I agree the actual set design was great, only if they used it to its potential.
I was actual going to reEdit the entire movie and just keep everything that made it good, there are enough good shots of Mars and various UAC structures to reconstruct everything & take out all the dialogue that killed most of the vibe it had going.
IT was clearly rushed as hell, it could have been way better that's for sure. There are rumors however of a possible remake in the works.

i didnt like that the movie was about doom3 but like a good fan of doom i enjoy everything about doom, and the FPS was great, if i get millionaire i swear i would make a doom movie advised by the people of this forum

Like a few others have said, it was an okay sci-fi movie,one which you would walk away feeling okay about if it was just a generic sci-fi. But being a huge doom fan the glaring plot differences between the movie and the game really did ruin it for me. The film was fairly well acted and the first person segment was pretty cool to watch though.

I think the film could have been more digestible with better writing, there are far too many cringe-worthy moments from shit characters with no discernible qualities beyond those of broad stereotypes. You can tell the actors were trying to polish a turd.

The bullshit chromosome story wrote them into a corner, gave them no room to work with. They should have scrapped it and either made it about Hell as it should have been or, if they're too big of pansies to bring up the subject, then make it aliens from some other planet or something. Doom was originally inspired by the movie Aliens so it's not like they couldn't have taken that angle to it and it would have justified Doom's lineup up monsters instead of scrambling to try to make them look like mutated humans.