Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
untilitdies

Chasm (Alpha v1.0)

Hi all, this is Chasm, my second map. I've taken to heart a lot of the feedback I got on Baby's First Map, and tried to make this map the best I could.

I don't consider the map 100% finished, but I've done the best job I could without any feedback on it.

I've created this map with all difficulty modes in mind, and hope you have a good time playing it. Please leave me feedback and criticism so I can continue to improve it!

The map can be found here.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cc6ah74k4owtzsi/Chasm.wad

Wow, this is very challenging, I was begging for a medikit or a box of ammo the whole time. Here is a demo of my playthrough, but I cheated by exploiting a bug with the locked doors (you're using an S1 action with a zero tag, which in classic ports means that the action is applied to all non-tagged sectors, so pretty much everything opens). Also some cacodemons opened the secret rocket launcher room for me, maybe you can fix that by giving the secret door a "secret/shown as 1-sided" flag.

I guess you haven't learned the "deaf/ambush" flag and the "block sound" lines yet? When I shoot, a lot of nearby monsters hear me. In this map it actually works nicely I think (they start attacking from all directions, which is very pressuring) but you need to learn these things at some point. They are used a lot in most levels.

If you're looking for improvements, maybe you can work on the lighting more. In some areas pretty much all sectors have the same brightness, which can seem a little bland.

kuchitsu said:

Wow, this is very challenging, I was begging for a medikit or a box of ammo the whole time. Here is a demo of my playthrough, but I cheated by exploiting a bug with the locked doors (you're using an S1 action with a zero tag, which in classic ports means that the action is applied to all non-tagged sectors, so pretty much everything opens). Also some cacodemons opened the secret rocket launcher room for me, maybe you can fix that by giving the secret door a "secret/shown as 1-sided" flag.

I guess you haven't learned the "deaf/ambush" flag and the "block sound" lines yet? When I shoot, a lot of nearby monsters hear me. In this map it actually works nicely I think (they start attacking from all directions, which is very pressuring) but you need to learn these things at some point. They are used a lot in most levels.

If you're looking for improvements, maybe you can work on the lighting more. In some areas pretty much all sectors have the same brightness, which can seem a little bland.

I'm very glad that you found it challenging, and not needlessly difficult!
I suppose I was pretty ignorant about flags; I'll definitely go change what you mentioned about the door tags; every door sector should have a different tag?

How did you feel about the ammo/health? I didn't want to overload the player with ammo and medkits, but I also didn't want you to have to go out punching Imps. Would you say I hit the right balance?

If something is operated by a S1/SR/W1/WR/G1/GR action, it needs a tag. D1/DR doors don't need a tag.

Ammo/health was tight but enough I think. Maybe some people will have problems with it, but they can choose another difficulty level I guess. Though it's funny how sometimes on UV you get a baron while on HMP you get an arch-vile, which is more dangerous in a way.