Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ranhcase

How to load .pk3 files in GZdoom Builder?

So... i know this is a dumb question, but i couldn't find the awnser anywhere.
I been trying to load the "project brutality" .pk3 file, but it always give me this message:

Unable to load resources from location "D:\Project_Brutality_2.03.pk3". Please make sure the location is accessible and not in use by another program. The resources will now be loaded with this location excluded. You may reload the resources to try again.
IOException when creating data reader: Multiple files with the same filename in the same directory are not allowed. See: "DECORATE"
And i also wanted to know if there is a way to add the skulltag "skins" to GZdoom.

When you go to open your map, in the 'Map Options' screen that pops up, click 'Add Resource...". In the next screen that pops up, click the "From PK3/PK7" tab and then browse for your .pk3 file. Click OK and that should do it.

Hmm, well you should be loading it the right way then. The error message sounds like there's some problem with where the .pk3 is being accessed from. Maybe try moving it to a different folder and see what happens?

Looks like Project_Brutality_2.03.pk3 contains multiple files named "DECORATE" in the same folder. Since most of DB2/GZDB folder/pk3 handling logic is 1. shared and 2. heavily based on using System.IO classes (which are aimed at working with Windows files and folders), they cannot process this, because this is not something you can do using any windows-compatible filesystem.

So... there is no way to load the .pk3 file in specific? Okay, i'll have to live with this information.
And what about the skultag skins to GZdoom?

RanhDoomer said:

...... but it always give me this message:

With PROJECT BRUTALITY you could try the following:

Unzip the file, click to not overwrite existing files.
Then rezip the resulting files as a zip file.
Rename the zip to pk3.

When you load this file as resource you will get 42 errors, which you can either ignore or fix.
Anyways, you can then use that pk3 as a resource.

The issue is that there are several different files with the same path and name, something that ZIP technically allow but which is not supposed to happen normally.

The solution is to open it in SLADE, and then rename the multiple DECORATE files to give them a different extension each, for example DECORATE.1, DECORATE.2, DECORATE.3, etc. Then they'll have a different full name, so GZDB will no longer complain.

Kappes Buur said:

Unzip the file, click to not overwrite existing files.
Then rezip the resulting files as a zip file.
Rename the zip to pk3.

No, don't do that! It won't work, it'll just result in some of the files not getting extracted at all, and therefore they'll be missing from your rezipped archive.

I don't now what you are trying to do but the way I loaded project brutality as a resource is that I didn't. I made a dummy.wad that contains very simple decorate actors with same names as the ones used in pb. Then I exclude this dummy.wad from testing and add pb as a custom testing parameter.

I can upload this file if you want but it doesn't contain all the monsters (imps, pinkys, cyberdemons and masterminds are missing), all items (tbh most items are missing) or ammo. If you want something specific I can add it in before upload.

and then rename the multiple DECORATE files to give them a different extension each, for example DECORATE.1, DECORATE.2, DECORATE.3, etc.

I've tried this, but it show me another message for a diferent file, and after i rename
that one, another error for another file appeared, i don't know much(actually, i know almost nothing) about adding and changing resources inside a .pk3 or wad, but i know it'll take a while to rename all of the sprites in the .pk3, but thanks to all that helped. :)

EDIT: i still didn't found a way to load the skulltag "skins" :P

When Gez wrote, in response to my post above,

Gez said:

No, don't do that! It won't work, it'll just result in some of the files not getting extracted at all, and therefore they'll be missing from your rezipped archive.

He is incorrect in mentioning that it does not work. He is correct, however, that you will loose some resources.

If you need every resource in Project Brutality, then make a list for each file you encounter during the unzipping process which is either overwritten, or not, as per your choice. Then load Project Brutality into Slade3 and correct the lumps as per that list. Which may entail renaming some lumps and/or rewriting some references in various text lumps. It's a lot of work though.

Note:
I was using version Project_Brutality_2.03, not Project_Brutality_2.03a, which is even worse to deal with.

Note2:
Obviously you have not yet tried my approach.
Well, it is up to you how you want to do this.

I've gave up on trying to load the .pk3 file, but thanks to all who helped.
But now i have another question about GZDB, and it's about the skills, in the UDMF format, there are 8 skill settings, but only four in most of the Doom's games, and i wanted to know how that works(if it is only 4 skills to choose, or 8).

Yes, the original Doom / Doom 2 / Final Doom have 5 skill levels (ITYTD, HNTR, HMP, UV, NM) and only gameplay mods for advanced source ports (like G/ZDoom) may change it. In fact, the classic Doom map format has only 3 thing flags (Easy, Medium, Hard) encompassing those 5 skill levels, with Easy = ITYTD + HNTR and Hard = UV + NM.

RanhDoomer said:

Thanks for helping...But, what about the skulltag actors?

You may have noticed that loading the files skulltag_actors.pk3 and skulltag_data.pk3] or
skulltag_actors_1-1-1.pk3 and skulltag_data_126.pk3 into GZDOOM cause numerous errors.

Spoiler

To make this work you have to unzip the actor file and eliminate the incompatible lines.