Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chickensoup101

That Phobos poster.....

Do you guys thinking that they're gonna remake Knee Deep in the Dead? Chapter 1 of Doom 1993 takes place in Phobos, so possibly?

Chickensoup101 said:

Do you guys thinking that they're gonna remake Knee Deep in the Dead? Chapter 1 of Doom 1993 takes place in Phobos, so possibly?

https://jii.moe/VyoJsjarb.jpg

They might remake all of doom 1 as a bridge between this doom and the next earth chapter. Possible, highly so. The doomslayer was either sent back to hell or to the moons of mars.

Nope.

Its only a reference to the classic shareware episode Knee Deep in the Dead.

id would try something fresh for Doom 2016 IMO rather than a DLC/Expansion Pack for the classic Doomers.

Those Posters are out of place if no DLC or expansion was made based on them. I would bet money that Phobos is coming at some point.

Voros said:

id would try something fresh for Doom 2016 IMO rather than a DLC/Expansion Pack for the classic Doomers.

I damn well hope so. I feel alone in thinking this, but all this talk about a potential Doom E1 remake has left me not wanting it at all.

Chezza said:

Those Posters are out of place if no DLC or expansion was made based on them. I would bet money that Phobos is coming at some point.

Well there are also tharsis tholus and titan (the moon) posters in the game. So they could be there just for fun.

We have the reboot situated on Mars, and be a kinda-sorta FPS God of War (yeah, Mars is the Roman version, but so what), so it would be oddly befitting to have a more horror-centric expansion set on Phobos and Deimos.

Good analogy TAPETRVE, yeah Phobos & Deimos literally mean fear and terror.
It would be awesome to see more horror elements added "IE DOOM 3" and expanded upon into a possible Knee deep in the dead/The Shores of Hell/Inferno remake.
Maybe a compact 3-4 hour campaign on Phobos and the same with Deimos and Hell, that would be pretty epic, top it off with SP Coop and were GOLDEN.

LittleInferno said:

Just seems like a reference.

Bothering to construct a poster (which, off topic, is wonderfully similar to the promotional poster for 1986's "Aliens") that references something that is nowhere to be found in the new game, that a good chunk of the audience won't get, seems awful arbitrary if there really is nothing to it...

GoatLord said:

Bothering to construct a poster (which, off topic, is wonderfully similar to the promotional poster for 1986's "Aliens") that references something that is nowhere to be found in the new game, that a good chunk of the audience won't get, seems awful arbitrary if there really is nothing to it...

Could be fun concept art or just ingame art/work to make the setting livelier.
It is not a confirmation of anything imo. There are also posters of titan tharsis tholus and tei tenga man. Phobos and deimos are just the moons of mars, we already had 9 levels in mars with a space setting. It may or may not be in a dlc / expac / sequel, don't hold your breath.

Voros said:

Given that the primary game lore mentions that there are facilities on Phobos and Deimos (even if that could just be easter egg'y), we might get to go there in a Paid DLC/Expansion, though if they do that, I doubt it'd be a full on reboot of E1 and E2, for the very simple reason that both moons would be too damned small for a facility that large.

The facilities there would have to be boiled down to a single building for each moon.

It'd be just as likely that we'll just explore other parts of the Mars facility as Mars itself is fairly big.

GoatLord said:

Bungie did the same thing with destiny in halo reach

dsm said:

I doubt it'd be a full on reboot of E1 and E2, for the very simple reason that both moons would be too damned small for a facility that large.

The facilities there would have to be boiled down to a single building for each moon.

Would 6350 km² not be enough for the facilities of e1?

I am not a big fan of Phobos and Deimos myself because in my opinion grey floating rock without atmosphere isn't a very interesting setting, but the moons aren't that small.

Tetzlaff said:

Would 6350 km² not be enough for the facilities of e1?

You may have a point, however, while I could be very wrong in this, I'm of the impression that the surfaces of each moon is too uneven?

EDIT: And maybe having a lot of very heavy buildings on those moons could destabilize their orbit, though I suppose the magic Argent-powered miracle tech of the UAC could offset that somehow...

I am not a big fan of Phobos and Deimos myself because in my opinion grey floating rock without atmosphere isn't a very interesting setting, but the moons aren't that small.

I suppose this explanation is a better reason, why I'd prefer to limit a visit to each moon to just one facility each. As a quick side-tour it wouldn't hurt, especially if each Moon facility looks unique.

Having a massive Mars floating overhead would look pretty sweet, but if that is what we get to see of the skybox for much more than two levels (and the Doom'16 levels are pretty huge at that), it could get boring really quickly.

I suppose, if they went with "Deimos getting sucked into Hell", the Deimos base could have a Hell sky to give it a different look.

Concerning the "Phobos and Deimos are just gray potato lumps and that's not very atmospheric" argument, consider that you would be looking into at atmospheric sky full of stars, with the middle of the Milky Way visible in the far distance. The sun would be a distant but very distinct ball, with Mars in the immediate background, the facilities visible as small but identifiable structures on its surface. You're gonna tell me that isn't something to look at it? Now, as for the satellite bases themselves...well, hopefully there'd be something to distinguish them from the Martian UAC bases. I imagine Phobos and Deimos having some really weird top secret labs and research areas, but at the same time, there wouldn't be many personnel there and thus it would be a bit grungier and grimier than Mars.

Anyone remember that scene in Prey, where you go through a portal and suddenly walk around on a mini-asteroid in a display case, while enemies look down on you from above?

I think if you're gonna be on the surface of Phobos, there shouldn't be any noise whatsoever, also zero gravity. I think that would be pretty neat to be in complete silence except for your suit noises and impacts from impacts

Great point.
The Phobos base would likely take place on or around the Stickney crater, this area is roughly 5 miles around, more than enough to hold a substantial base.

I'd personally like to see the levels recreated with as much realism as possible, not exact carbon copy's, but a vivid reimagining of what places like the hanger "e1m1" might actually look and operate like in reality etc.

Maybe even going as far as letting the player openly choose where he goes throughout the base, creating an entire playable phobos base would be wicked.
And zero gravity areas would be an awesome addition to Doom, I could definitely see Doomguy waving through floating UAC bodies with lost souls and cacodemons in the distance inhabiting the dead space.
The base should be built around the Phobos anomaly, the first original portal to hell in original Doom lore.

Here is concept art from Destiny showing what almost looks like the Hanger building from there phobos mission-

dsm said:

Given that the primary game lore mentions that there are facilities on Phobos and Deimos (even if that could just be easter egg'y), we might get to go there in a Paid DLC/Expansion, though if they do that, I doubt it'd be a full on reboot of E1 and E2, for the very simple reason that both moons would be too damned small for a facility that large.

It'd be just as likely that we'll just explore other parts of the Mars facility as Mars itself is fairly big.

Deimos is 12km in diameter and 15 km wide trust me it's big enough maybe not for a giant particle acelerador.

I would very much like to see a return to Phobos/Deimos, maybe the installations can be built into the very moon itself. Reminiscent of Titan Station from Dead Space 2, but with the face of Mars looming ominously in the background. Maybe they will will appear in a DLC expansion, or better yet serve as a setting for a possible sequel. Perhaps at the end of Doom 2016, Hayden transported the Doom Slayer to be contained on Phobos while he continues his Argent experiments on Earth. Something goes wrong and hell is unleashed on the two moons of Mars, ultimately leading to Hell on Earth (Blade Runner visuals come to mind) and it's up to Doom Slayer to save the Earth. A very rudimentary idea, but something like that could work.

As mentioned, some zero gravity areas would be a nice addition. Plus, they could bring back the Arachnotrons, Pain Elemental, Archvile (yeah Summoner, I know) among other new baddies added to the roster.