Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Poormetheus

Share your Megawads!

Doom is like a fine wine, it gets better with age.

Of course, everyone likes different flavors and accents in their wine! I'll bet many of you, like me, have tried to refine the DOOM experience to exactly what you want by compiling a megawad that contains scripts and files from many different wads, etc. I'm sure you have aimed to pinpoint the best DOOM experience.

If you're a purist who says "I just use Zdoom alone - it's the authentic experience', then perhaps this thread is a waste of your time.

I'm searching for the DOOM fans who feel they have archived modifications perfectly to create the best DOOM experience possible!

Who wants to share their .pk3 files?! :D

Poormetheus said:

If you're a purist who says "I just use Zdoom alone - it's the authentic experience'

This part is hilarious.

Poormetheus said:

If you're a purist who says "I just use Zdoom alone - it's the authentic experience',

Heh, zDoom and authentic don't belong in the same sentence.

Let's just hope that the OP meant it as a joke and he wasn't really that delusioned to be unaware of the vanilla executable and classic vanilla-emulating / widely-compatible ports etc.

Besides the uncapped framerate, ZDoom is a pretty convincing vanilla-emulator if you leave it in its default config that looks like it's built from 12 pixels.

SavageCorona said:

Besides the uncapped framerate, ZDoom is a pretty convincing vanilla-emulator if you leave it in its default config that looks like it's built from 12 pixels.

You mean purely in terms of visuals, right?

Poormetheus said:

Of course, everyone likes different flavors and accents in their wine! I'll bet many of you, like me, have tried to refine the DOOM experience to exactly what you want by compiling a megawad that contains scripts and files from many different wads, etc. I'm sure you have aimed to pinpoint the best DOOM experience.

I think he's asking if someone took maps from various megawads and combined them into a sort of "best of" collection. Although I assume that's frowned upon in the modding scene.

Wait, so you looking for random zdoom gameplay wads made from us and then you join them into a megawad, right?

In other words, a sort of community project?

walter confalonieri said:

Wait, so you looking for random zdoom gameplay wads made from us and then you join them into a megawad, right?

In other words, a sort of community project?

No no, I'd just like you to tell us which wads you queue up to augment DOOM to your own personal liking.

Furthermore, if you have concocted your own .pk3 featuring multiple graphical/gameplay mods, I'd be interested to see that too.

Alright, for the usual Smooth Doom compatible wad that doesn't use tons of clashing custom assets I load:

-pk_doom_sfx.wad: For better vanilla sound effects.
-SmoothDoom_NoGore.pk3: Edited version of SmoothDoom that removes the gib sprites that end up lagging slaughtermaps.
-BDoom_HDsprites.wad: Nicer looking pickup items.
-ketchupV5_nogibs.pk3: For better blood effects.
-Liquidpatchv2.pk3: For some nicer liquid textures for water/lava etc.
-footsteps_zan.pk3: For, well, footstep sounds.
-HXRTCHUD_V1.2.pk3: Better HUD with helpful powerup timers.

rileymartin said:

-SmoothDoom_NoGore.pk3: Edited version of SmoothDoom that removes the gib sprites that end up lagging slaughtermaps.

That's very interesting, because my BeautifulDoom.pk3 contains gib animations that consist of particle fountains that lag the hell out of my game! Maybe i'll check it out.

Poormetheus said:

Megawads

...Who wants to share their .pk3 files?! :D

A megawad is a set of levels (15+ I believe) in one .wad (which in fairness is what is in a .PK3 most of the time) and it usually consists of just levels and possible graphics + sounds (then again some do have game changing features) meaning that most megawads do not contain what you are looking for.

I think what you are asking for is a mod, that being a file that modifies the game itself and not the levels (granted, many mods come with levels and count as megawads because of this).

An example of what I am saying would be Beautiful Doom is not a megawad as it contains no levels, only gamelay changes. Brutal Doom is also not a megawad but the Brutal Doom starter pack is (Brutal Doom changes gameplay and the starter pack adds maps). I hope this clears the confusement.

Poormetheus said:

If you're a purist who says "I just use Zdoom alone - it's the authentic experience', then perhaps this thread is a waste of your time.

I am a purist who uses Chocolate Doom alone - it's the authentic experience.

*Leaves thread*