Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spleen

Can I relicense source ports that mix Doom Source License and GPL to pure GPLv3?

Specifically, most of it is GPLv3 but a couple files are DSL. I've bugged Maes about it a couple years ago, and I wonder if I should bug him again, or if it's okay to just swap out the licenses myself.

MochaDoom is a great project and I was thinking of doing things to its code just for kicks, but I'm concerned about the license for a couple files in particular. If I start messing around with it now and putting that stuff on github, would it be complicated to sort it out later?

:~/mochadoom$ grep -EIRin 'doom source code license'
src/f/EndLevel.java:11:// only under the terms of the DOOM Source Code License as
src/f/EndLevel.java:16:// FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the DOOM Source Code License
src/v/BufferedRenderer32.java:17:// only under the terms of the DOOM Source Code License as
src/v/BufferedRenderer32.java:22:// FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the DOOM Source Code License
src/v/BufferedRenderer16.java:17:// only under the terms of the DOOM Source Code License as
src/v/BufferedRenderer16.java:22:// FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the DOOM Source Code License
src/v/GammaTables.java:11://only under the terms of the DOOM Source Code License as
src/v/GammaTables.java:16://FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the DOOM Source Code License
src/w/WadLoader.java:9:// only under the terms of the DOOM Source Code License as
src/w/WadLoader.java:14:// FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the DOOM Source Code License

Code that comes directly from Doom can be relicensed, code new to Mocha and put under the DSL, well, you'll have to get Maes' okay.

Thanks Gez.

I send Maes another PM, this time with a list of the 5 files. If that turns out to be not enough, I can send some sed or awk commands or something, that will just swap the license right in there.

Hooray, Maes finally swapped the Doom Source License with the GPL. Now I can make a MochaDoom fork! Thank you Maes!!!!