Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Unregistered account

Kapanyo's Ultra not-crap Duel map™ (Hey, that rhymes!) - NOW V.1B

SCREENIES (Warning: Test textures - a lot of BRNGRN)
V.1b

Spoiler

Now taken in-game. The instant lift resting on the edge of the Plasma Rifle cave was removed, and instead there's an instant lift in this area - the Medikit is sitting on it.

This shot was taken from the other side of the hallway, rather than the centre. Instead of a lowered water cave, it's now a fairly consistent-height lava cavern. The Plasma Rifle lift is lowered upon entering the cavern.

V.1a
Spoiler

So, I've been working on the layout for this Duel map and I was really tired of making unfinished, overdetailed corridors that I'd scrap because I ran out of steam, so I used my recent experience on Zandronum Duel40 servers (all 6 weeks of it) to fart out this map. Also, I wanted to release a late map for my birthday, but that passed too quickly.

I'm looking for feedback, comments and criticism. I really need negative feedback, but also tell me what I did right because I have no idea what will work outside of bot testing.

Here's a starter: should I keep the Shotgun spawns, or change them to SSGs? Because if they're annoying with bots (which they are), they'll probably be even worse with real (experienced) players. I just wanted to deviate from the standard "SSG at every spawn and one Plasma Rifle on a lift" mindset, but I think it'd be more fun to play with more SSGs.

And remember, the detail will come later, as will more Player spawns and more weapons.

V.1b [DOWNLOAD]
V.1a [DOWNLOAD]

Yeah, sorry, I just wanted to get this out here as quickly as possible. Will upload screenies in a minute (when my sister gets off Audiosurf 2 and I can use the PC again).

UPDATE: Added images!

Saying that's it's "ultra-crap" in the title isn't really giving me (or anybody) incentive to look at it. Have a bit more confidence in your map when you're looking for feedback.

I guess first and foremost, it's ugly. I didn't download because mediafire has been giving me redirects and other problems lately. please try sendspace.com

Don't take duel40 maps as gospel of aesthetics. There is a difference between distracting detail and clean detail. Most of the maps in duel40 are old as mold and result in being plain-ass ugly.

From what I see is a random scattering of ammo with no rhyme or reason, and a heap of health bonuses just because? Putting the plasma down in a pit is not a very good idea because auto-aim is dodgy with projectiles, and plasma projectiles already suffer enough from lag and crazy RNG it really needs to be in a more strategic area (small corridors or openish coves like ssl2).

There are lots of maps that balance ssg and sg spawns. King1, if you want an example from Duel40, and Dweller2 Map11 if you want something a little crazier for the spawns. If you have, say, 7 spawns, try to have at least 2 or 3 spawns with ssg, the rest with ssg easy to find or just a bit out of the way if you're trying to balance timing. Check out EonDM if you want to see how you can balance some SSG/SG action. What you need to do is get a server up on TSPG and have it tested by people and determine what is best for spawns where.

Overall though, the map looks a bit small, cramped, and nothing new/nothing that hasn't been seen before. But I'd like to at least try it before passing too much judgement on it.

Decay said:

Saying that's it's "ultra-crap" in the title isn't really giving me (or anybody) incentive to look at it. Have a bit more confidence in your map when you're looking for feedback.

Fixed. ;)

I guess first and foremost, it's ugly.
-----
Don't take duel40 maps as gospel of aesthetics. There is a difference between distracting detail and clean detail. Most of the maps in duel40 are old as mold and result in being plain-ass ugly.

I know. I mentioned twice in my post that I'm using test textures.
I assume you thought I said that my map's visuals were inspired by Duel40, but I just said I wanted to put my pitifully short experience of it to use.

I didn't download because mediafire has been giving me redirects and other problems lately. please try sendspace.com.

okay, yeah, I've been meaning to ditch that dodgy tool for a while now.

From what I see is a random scattering of ammo with no rhyme or reason, and a heap of health bonuses just because?

Yeah, the evenly-scattered ammo was just an experiment. I don't think it ruins the gameplay, but it doesn't help it either, so I guess that's something I'll take out.
The health bonuses run along the top of the raised platform. I'm not too keen on getting rid of them, but if you think they're pointless, then I can and will.

Putting the plasma down in a pit is not a very good idea because auto-aim is dodgy with projectiles, and plasma projectiles already suffer enough from lag and crazy RNG it really needs to be in a more strategic area (small corridors or openish coves like ssl2).

Oh, right, thanks! I'll take that into consideration for later maps, too. I guess I must have just taken a "quick-'N'-dirty" approach, such as "I don't want to make the Plasma too easy to get to, so I'll just place it in the middle of a corridor with an instant lift on one end and stairs on the other!"

Overall though, the map looks a bit small, cramped, and nothing new/nothing that hasn't been seen before. But I'd like to at least try it before passing too much judgement on it.

Yeah, I didn't take very flattering screenshots, and I was actually thinking "Hmm, this map might be a bit too open for a Duel map" because the area visible through the middle window (overlooking the green armour ledge) in the first screenshot is actually quite big. But maybe I can even the two areas (the one in the screenshot and the one through the window) out.

Overall, thank you for giving me some criticisms and feedback so early without even playing it (that must be a rare skill) - it's honestly helped me, and I should be able to iron things out for 1b!

UPDATE: The Download link now uses OneDrive, rather than MediaFire. Phew.

UPDATE: Now V.1B - check the images!

Okay, downloaded. Make some adjustments and I'd love to try it. At least it doesn't have that cramped feeling just from the screens anymore. Open sky is nice, maybe do some more to make places more distinguished from each other. Also just use sendspace.com. Damn people and their drive sites.

http://i.imgur.com/yZwkDqBIn this screen we see what looks like a lift, but it's actually only activated from 1 side. change the texture so people don't think it can be activated from the side seen here, because it isn't consistent with the other lifts. Is it even worth going up there for a RL? Not really. I'd actually recommend a BFG. It's a nice open space, a slightly inconveniencing lift, not OP.

http://i.imgur.com/uFjcZDD move this SSG to the right, closer to the spawn.

http://i.imgur.com/1oOUr6Zthis rocket launcher is set up to cause you to suicide. Again we have an issue of projectiles, heights, and autoaim. You could probably find a better place for it.

http://i.imgur.com/pjEf78a Remove this spawn, not really needed. See where that ammo box is? Add a spawn there instead. Speaking of ammo boxes I don't remember if I even saw a chaingun.

http://i.imgur.com/FVLHxl1 remove this spawn, not needed and will get rocked by the SSG spawned person beside them or the SSG spawned person who has this spawn in their clear view.

http://i.imgur.com/l9QjR2b Consider adding a spawn here, probably preferably in the cave itself. Maybe consider a chaingun spawn here? Speaking of the cave, if you add the BFG i mentioned earlier, it's fine to keep the damaging lava, but if you don't, nobody will go for the plasma otherwise. People scarcely use it as it is, and with a damaging floor, there is 0 incentive to do so. Alternatively, you could up the damage and make that plasma a BFG and then make that useless RL a plasma instead.

Hope this help

Edit: Damn pics. Also meant to suggest the CG spawn in the cave, NOT where the sg spawn I advised removing.

Yes, it definitely does - thanks! It's great to get useful info from an experienced player such as yourself, and any advice is valued really - but what you've said is very helpful, and I appreciate it.

There actually is one Chaingun, but it's not placed very competently. I'll definitely rethink weapon placement.

Regarding the Rocket Launcher/Plasma Rifle lifts, I think that while making this map I subconsciously made it a goal to not include a BFG whatsoever. While playing Duel40, I came to this conclusion: Open maps can have Plasma Rifles but never BFGs, while enclosed ones can have BFGs but shouldn't really have Plasma Rifles. Moreover, in most maps where the "power weapon" is included, it's usually just sitting on a lift with a switch in easy reach. Originally these setups meant that a player would have to press the switch and then race towards said power weapon, but mostly that doesn't apply... I mean, it really doesn't require much effort to wait for a lift, even if your opponent is pestering you (which they more often than not won't be).
This is why I placed a simple Rocket Launcher on the lift. That said, I can see why it's a bit of a waste of effort - there are plenty of Rocket Launchers in the vicinity which are simple to obtain. Maybe I could replace it with a Plasma Rifle.
As for the Plasma lift, I don't think it needs a more powerful item because the players are travelling so fast and the distance over the lava to the lift is so small that most people will be able to run over to it without even taking any damage.
As for replacing it with a BFG, I understand that any feature to help change/spice up a game is welcome, but this map is fairly open and it might be an unfun addition if someone where to fight against a BFG whore when they just want a good ol' fashioned duel.

EDIT: Although, that being said,
there are quite a lot of options for cover
on this map... perhaps I will see how
switching out the Plasma for a BFG goes.
Once again, thanks so much for taking the time to play my map and giving me valuable tips and criticism. I really appreciate it.