Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Jenesis

Ooh, this sounds fun, and Jenesis is one of my favorite mapsets.

I'm sure I'll die in the first level, as Jenesis loves cruel enemy placement. But still, this is a great idea!

Love the idea! Here's my entry: https://www.mediafire.com/?bn82j36jafsmkup

A stupid death in map15 after about 2,5 hours of playing. An unfortunate death really since I was in decent shape for the most part. I was getting kinda exhausted so in hindsight I should've definitely taken a break at some point. Perhaps the death could have been avoided even... I had very little recollections of the maps past map02 but I wouldn't say it contributed much in my demise this time.

I didn't get too far. Died on Map02 due to bony bastards. I've only ever gotten to about Map05 in this wad before so I didn't expect too much.

This sounds like a good reason to learn to us glboom over here. I've beaten this mapset before but never like this, so it should be fun to see how i do with something like this.

A mighty middle finger and a ferocious "fuck you" to MAP02 thing 94. What a way to go :(
Still, I'm surprised I managed to get past MAP01. Past experience has told me that going for the RL secret there is more trouble than it's really worth, but even then I've fallen foul of some of the set-ups later on.

This is such a cool idea. It's been rainy and depressing here today, and I really like Jenesis, so I went ahead and made an attempt. Recorded in PrBoom+ cl9.

http://mekworx.the-powerhouse.net/mekastuff/wads/demoz/dwim/mek-dwim-jen.lmp

Made it to MAP04, and I had a feeling that's where my run was going to end. That map was one I remember having troubles with back in my original playthrough...lots of opposition from all sides. Particularly those chainners in that first arena, though I actually got squished by a Rev in the cave area :P

I actually had a power outage about halfway through the first map, so I had to restart. Dunno if that disqualifies me or not, heh.

Here comes the creator! Boy oh boy. Can he get past the dreaded ending of MAP12?

God I hope so, I'll be so upset if I die in the same spot, or by God, earlier this time.

http://www.twitch.tv/jimmybtsx (done. see post just below)

OP updated! Map02 and 04 are shanking the everliving Hell out of our Ironmen. Will some luckless bastard fall victim to Map01 before the month is out?

Veinen currently in the lead on Map15. A good effort! I didn't have time to watch most of the run so I skipped ahead to the demise... but I did catch a glimpse of some sort of quandary in map04 :)

Mechadon said:

I actually had a power outage about halfway through the first map, so I had to restart. Dunno if that disqualifies me or not, heh.

I don't think I have it in me to condone such a ruthless rule, haha. I'll think up some sort of way to account for disconnects and such, but in the mean time, yeah, no problems.

Alfonzo said:

I don't think I have it in me to condone such a ruthless rule, haha. I'll think up some sort of way to account for disconnects and such, but in the mean time, yeah, no problems.

You are a kind and just ruler Alfonzo :D

Alfonzo said:

Veinen currently in the lead on Map15. A good effort! I didn't have time to watch most of the run so I skipped ahead to the demise... but I did catch a glimpse of some sort of quandary in map04 :)

Oh there was quandary in map04 for sure :D Death there was much closer than I care to admit.

Let me get this straight. This goes on throughout the month? Just have a continuous run and get as far as we can without dying? If we die, can we start over and try from the beginning again? I've never played Jenesis, so I have no idea about the secrets or anything. I'd be doing demos anyway, so not much of a way for me to cheat.

You have one attempt for the entire month. Some folks (like Jimmy!) will have lots of pre-knowledge where others don't, but there aren't any special exceptions or leaderboards. Playing blind and getting further than some of the more in-the-know participants will net you lots of plaudits, though, I'm sure!

Alfonzo said:

You have one attempt for the entire month. Some folks (like Jimmy!) will have lots of pre-knowledge where others don't, but there aren't any special exceptions or leaderboards. Playing blind and getting further than some of the more in-the-know participants will net you lots of plaudits, though, I'm sure!

Cool. I'll give it try later tonight or maybe tomorrow. Probably die on map one, hope not though. Took me awhile to find the blue key on map one. Died on map 02, Mancubi reamed me right in the butt.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ku50j4bnrhsq0bg/Ashman.lmp?dl=0

Jimmy said:

DEAD - MAP20, after 3:40:00 of play

https://www.twitch.tv/jimmybtsx/v/76306954

You probably shouldn't watch how it happened.

Entire stream vod: https://www.twitch.tv/jimmybtsx/v/76306767

I watched it. That's gotta suck after almost 4 hours of playing. I must say, you took the defeat well. I'd have been raging. At least you're not last place like me :( On my run, I knew another mancubus was on the way, just with that regular shotgun, I only needed one more shot to finish off the one I was working on and the other one got behind me faster than I thought. On map 01, I forgot where the blue key was and kept peeping out the same door where it wasn't visible, so I spent a lot of time running around like an idiot.

Dead at the end of map26 after four hour and a half hours of hard graft (not counting map 20's death exit). The trio of cyberdemons and their mancubus pals did me in because I was too afraid to push forward with them alive in case there was a nasty trap behind the door. Pretty bad decisions made at the end, as I probably should have eliminated the mancs straight away but fatigue does that to you.

This was a good exercise. I'm not used to continuous play so it was strange to have a glut of cells and rockets most of the time to defuse encounters and I didn't fully take advantage of it. Amusingly, I take my worst hits at the start of the session due to a lack of warm up. Almost tapped my quit button (y) twice in a row on more than one occasion when reaching for plasma/bfg. I've played through the wad somewhat recently (last year) so I was aware of some of the secrets on earlier maps etc.

Oh and I thought that map18 had bugged out because of the unusual progression (the big lifts in the starting area). I was convinced that a bridge rising was fucked up by demons or something and spent a lot of time circling the map in a desperate confusion.

Here's the stream past broadcast: https://www.twitch.tv/korenya/v/76349691 (archived highlight version here)
Here's a demo for those who dislike my taste in music: http://cyberdemon.co.uk/stuff/jenesis-ironman-fail-koren.zip

Well I've decided to join in on this challenge despite having never played Jenesis.

https://secure.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/v/76398092 = part 1 of my run, covering maps 01-04.

Not dead at the moment (had to quicksave and end the stream after clearing the initial area in map 05), but had a really close call with that DICKMOVE of a trap on map 4 that was a Hell Revealed callback. Also not liking the Revenant numbers in Jenesis so far, but I'm coping for now.

My minimum goal of getting past map 02 was met, so anything after that is a delightful bonus for me. Hopefully next time I'll get to at least map 6 or 7 before maybe dying.

Certainly is interesting to play Doom in this manner, that's for sure.

DEAD - Map 26 (Roughly at 6 1/2 hours or so total. Yeah, I play slow as hell and kill everything if possible, heh)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/j7w9w4fp51paqda/ (Recorded with GLBoom Plus 2.5.1.4, -complevel 9)

Total of two demos here. First one ends after the forced death on map 20. Had a couple AFK moments in the second demo (map 22 and I think 24 as well. No longer than a minute or so for each one though).

Anyways....my death in map 26 might just top Jimmy's in the "...did that really just happen?" category. Apparently my brain decided to blue screen when dodging Revenant missiles.

Although to be honest, I went to map 31 for the BFG. If anyone can tell me how lucky I got not to have the AV roast me to death there given my panicking for a good 10-20 seconds, I'm all ears.

Still, this was a blast to do. Can't wait until the next one!

Well, playing like this is a dramatic change of style for me. The feeling that you really have only one life is daunting. I made a clumsy mistake on map04 resulting in the premature end to my run. (GlBoom Plus, 2.5.1.4, default settings)

If I can find the time I will definitely play through the rest of Jenesis though, it seems to be a great set of levels so far!

EDIT: Forgot to mention this was a mostly blind run, I watched about 10-15 mins of Suite's stream earlier, aside from that, blind.

Woah, those are some mad runs, guys! I remember being intimidated a lot by that cyber trio at the end of Map26 during a regular playthrough a couple of years ago. A pretty shaky confrontation, and it showed on koren's run. I guess you were focusing too much on waiting for those rockets to pass and overlooked the sniper Mancs; tough luck!

Anima's death is a textbook example of playing for too long and having one's brain create its own blind spots. I suppose you wouldn't forget about those sorts of surprise rockets 99 times out of 100 on any earlier map. Still, you made it that far! That's impressive.

joe-ilya said:

Died in MAP03 because I was too risky, but who cares? My adrenaline was pumped, that's for sure. Besides, how am I ever going to get past MAP20 anyway? Especally since the only guy who got this far made the maps himself.

https://www.twitch.tv/joe_ilya/v/76399965

Hey, joe. I'll pin the run up in the OP this time but please make sure you display your compat settings for the next run.

Also, good luck Suite! Getting past those opening few maps with no knowledge of what's coming is no mean feat.

I'm extremely pleased to say I lasted quite a while... made it to MAP02! Could've played a tiny bit more cautiously, but where's the fun in that? The demo also shows you some of my horrible reaction times, which is a big reason why I don't do FDAs (I'm also unaccustomed to playing in PrBoom). The rev use is ruder than I remember.

A couple of rule changes - nothing groundbreaking:

In conventional permadeath circles, "Ironman" typically means completing the game or set in a single sitting without dying. I'm not going to mandate that Jenesis or any subsequent mapset be completed in this way, but to keep in step with this definition I'll place an asterix (*) next to any run that's been split into multiple parts. Apparently, this means they're "hardcore." It's all just semantics, to me; you're all winners!!

The second change is with secret maps. These are still optional, but completing them will give you an edge on the leaderboard assuming you finish the game. That is, if two players die on map21, say, and only one of them has beaten map31, the usual system of time played alone will be checked to determine the ranking. However, if both players complete the game, then the number of completed secret levels will be considered before time played. Bonus points!

Keep'em comin'!

Sometimes you've just got to stop and give those poor spiderdemons the time of day. It only takes a moment and couple hundred rounds of plasma!