Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Jenesis

Demo link here.

An unfortunate end seen to by confusion as to whether or not I was being riddled with bullets or fireballs, only to eventually notice that the rails are indeed still energized. Always lock-out and tag-out when working on electrical equipment!

(shit that's so bad, considering my occupation)

I would gladly, if I could. It seems like twitch didn't bother saving my stream past the first few minutes where I was having frame drop issues. I'll record next time alongside so I can have a hard copy of it.

I've tried to do that and I've died in the first level lol
Today I'll have more time and I'll play more patiently.

I've never played this wad and 99% of the time I've spent on doom was in a different sourceport... so I'm happy with making it to map 24.

It's a really stupid death, shame I had to waste it like I did. I grabbed the red key and I got blocked by a couple of hell knights I left alive from below, followed by some mancubus projectiles and I decided to look around to see if I could avoid jumping down... didn't work out too well.

Also please don't watch, it's 5 hours and I play like shit for most of it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7nk1efbjti27rq/jenesis-map24-ZM.lmp?dl=0

This was a lot of fun!

argggg stop beating me zeromaster010.

"hangs head in shame, turns on dead by daylight"

DEAD on MAP03... I am just pleased I didn't go on the first map. Annoyingly it was quite a pedestrian place to die after having cheesed scenarios that had more potential for danger. A clumsy rev one-two without armour and the credits were up!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0srxv14zbdgkvw3/IMJen.lmp?dl=0

These first three levels certainly employ plenty of ledgemonsters. I play for an hour to die where I did. I would normally try to rush past non-threatening monsters but I have only played this once when the DWMC did and I didn't dare do that in case it bit me on the arse (and it would have done in a couple of spots). This did mean that in the places I needlessly cleared the ledges I ended up a little short on ammo. Based on the little I saw (and what I remember first time I played) I imagine this one being much faster to get through if you know it well enough to properly risk assess.

I really like the idea of this by the way. I enjoyed playing with a genuine consequences for death. If Sunlust is next... I might as well not bother. No way will I even clear MAP01 on UV with no deaths.

There's only 5 days remaining in this first ever instalment of Suicide Shot-put. Who will stand up to the bloodied plate and go the distance? Will koren take home the chocolates and be crowned King of Dying-later-than-everyone-else? Can Alfonzo remain in the top 10 despite a frankly shithouse performance on opening night?

Play Live To Win!

Good luck to any new entrants!

Is there perhaps going to be a vote for what the next month's mapset will be or have you made up your mind already Alfonzo? :)

I'd like to make a practice of busting out the surprise package on the 1st and then unceremoniously cutting the red tape...

...with my corpse.

This is an amazing idea! Never played this wad before, so will record a demo now and will get back to you all soon. But hopefully not too soon! (I'm totally dying on the first map, I can feel it).

PrBoom-plus 2.5.1.3 -complevel 9

http://www.mediafire.com/download/y5l4u8l0986vb5a/dwironman-cnr_jenesis.zip

This actually is a lower time commitment than attempting to record a speedrun so I gave it a try. Sure hope the demo doesn't desync or something stupid like setting the wrong difficulty at the command line.

The demo is 1152 KB and I only made it to Map 06.! It's raining revenant missiles and I forgot to bring an umbrella.

Welp. I decided to give this a go and died in the first area of MAP01 :|

I'm not even going to disgrace myself by posting a demo. I'm not usually THAT bad at this game....

It's the last day of the month, and that means it's time for the 1st Monthly Screen Actors Doom Awards, or SADs! :((

Outstanding Performance in a Leading Role: Demon of the Well
Outstanding Performance in a Supporting Role: koren
Outstanding Performance by a Level Designer: n/a*
Most Final Destination starring roles: TheMionicDonut
Most ignoble undoing: WH_Wilou84
Most principled suicide: n/a
Hubris Award: TheMionicDonut
Darwin Award: Rayzik
DFD candidate: TheMionicDonut

Most dangerous monster: Revenant
Most dangerous texture: NUKAGE1
Most dangerous keycard: Red
Tallest marine mountain constructed: Mt. 02, 8,000 ft
Greatest mountain range constructed: Jenesis National Park (Mt. 02 - 04)
Number of GADs: not nearly enough
Number of spiderdemons ignored: 1
Number of great communications: 0
Number of pelicans spotted: 0
* :))

I said I would, and so I did. It's about 4AM July 31st in my timezone, something I always totally fail to account for. Late or not, this was quite the experience, I haven't played Doom quite like that in years.

Here is my shot at it: Avert thine eyes.

This is a hideous and misshapen winning run that also visits map 31, buoyed by intel gained from my having played Jenesis in the past and also the attempts of all those iron men who went before me. I don't recommend anyone actually watch it, mind, as it's over 6 hours long and surely becomes unbearable to spectate somewhere around map 24/25 or so, when my gunhand was cramping up and the fear was like a living thing.

No GADs that I recall, but I did catastrophically fail an easy 2-shot dance in map 20. :D

I look forward to being unceremoniously buried in the soil of ???.

You're telling me, man. By the end my reflexes were shot and I reckon I was playing about how I did back in the 90s. Stuff that's easy when you're fresh suddenly becomes strangely complicated when you're 5 hours in.

No, my tenuous grasp on the top 10! /me melts

EDIT: That is a phenomenal performance, DotW. Obviously I didn't watch the vast majority of it; I was mostly skipping ahead and stopping every other second to see if Doomguy's stoic visage was beginning to look more like a raw hamburger. Jimmy will be so pleased!... I think.

Well played, and so too to koren and Anima. Thankfully the guys backstage haven't started etching the winner's name into the plinth.

Excuse the epic bump, but you guys mentioned a problem with tag 667 in MAP07 here and I just encountered that one by myself. Is that a map bug and if so, was it ever fixed? The map is not included in Jimmy's fix file (jenefix.wad), so I was wondering if anybody ever looked into it.