Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HavoX

For those of you that want to play Doom 2016 with old-school controls...

Now you can.
My brother wrote a simple program that addresses my biggest gripe with the game... you couldn't turn left or right with the left/right keys. You do need to have the program running while playing Doom however.

Get it here if you need it, and let him know of any bugs you encounter!

EDIT: Forgot to mention. If your anti-virus goes off when you use it, disregard it; that's a false positive.

Excellent, if i ever get a better PC, then i won't have to worry about playing DOOM with not being able to turn left or right with keyboard.
But still sucks that in modern games you can't use keyboard exclusivly, i really like the challenge that keyboard provides.

Keyboard look is more or less the same as gamepad/joystick look just without the acceleration. I don't see why removing keyboard look would be a thing.

I remember when I first played Quake 2 MP at a computer show I attended with my dad once. I used keyboard exclusively and failed miserably. I was quite taken aback because I'm a monster with keyboard controls on classic FPS games. It took a friend to introduce me to Half-Life and the world of mouse-look and numpad gaming that leveled me up. I still use keyboard only for classic FPS games (in their original engines, not source ports).

MusicallyInspired said:

Keyboard look is more or less the same as gamepad/joystick look just without the acceleration. I don't see why removing keyboard look would be a thing.

Because they aren't the same thing at all. They are functionally different, one being an analogue input and the other binary. Analogue stick input internally functions much closer to mouse input than keyboard.

MusicallyInspired said:

Modern games don't support keyboard look anymore? Wow.

Why would they support keyboard look?
Fps pre 1995 didn't have the need of Vertical Aim.
Games from and after 1996 like Quake, Duke3d, etc had keyboard look because not everyone had a mouse back then, hell some people was still refusing to use Windows 95....

But now? Everyone has a mouse or a trackpad, YES you can fully control Windows with a Keyboard, but is not something the average user does.

Like I said, I just don't see the reason to remove it completely. IT doesn't seem like the type of thing to cut for budget or time restraint reasons. It's just a control. Some people might use it.

Nobody removed it. It didn't exist to start with. Modern engines have stopped adding in keyboard control translations that become obsolete.

MusicallyInspired said:

Like I said, I just don't see the reason to remove it completely. IT doesn't seem like the type of thing to cut for budget or time restraint reasons. It's just a control. Some people might use it.

That's where you are mistaken, they didn't remove it, they didn't add it at all. Why waste time adding something that less than the 1% of the players will use?

MusicallyInspired said:

And then be unable to progress once they encounter the incredibly rare twist of fate of an enemy being above or below them.

I know nothing technically exists until it's implemented. That's a given. I meant why remove it as a standard control binding that's been around for ages when it doesn't take any time at all to throw it in?

I understand why I just don't really agree with it.

MusicallyInspired said:

I meant why remove it as a standard control binding that's been around for ages when it doesn't take any time at all to throw it in?

Mostly because you got one essential detail wrong:

MusicallyInspired said:

when it doesn't take any time at all to throw it in?

MusicallyInspired said:

I know nothing technically exists until it's implemented. That's a given. I meant why remove it as a standard control binding that's been around for ages when it doesn't take any time at all to throw it in?

The reason why it used to exist is because it used to be a keyboard designed control. Looking up and down wasn't tied to an analogue control but a binary switch checking if it should pan the camera up and down. When it got turned into a proper camera angle control from Quake styled engines onwards, it suddenly became a klutch feature where it needed to create an approximate speed, however as games added more and more vertical control, the keyboard control became too imprecise to be remotely viable.
Short version; Keyboards no longer have look up/down keys because gameplay demands more situational angles that you'd have no chance in hell providing on a keyboard with simple binary input. As such, engines have stopped pretending that you could. For the same reason, you'll also find games and engines haven't provided look left/right keys for a while either.

Its not implemented because nobody wants to stop, use page up and try to aim at a target while they're running all over the place.

There is absolutely no point in playing 3D FPS with oldschool controls

and yes it would cost additional ressources to make a game playable with oldschool controls.. another reason nobody implements it

kinda reminds me of this

That's pretty damn cool and I'm glad your friend could do something to let the older guys have their nostalgia and the hipsters pretend they're cool. More options are great for everybody so they can play how they like and I think that goes a long way to helping a game's longevity.

That being said, why would you want to? Sure, the challenge I understand. Putting yourself at a disadvantage and learning to cope can only improve you in the long run.

But as a guy still kicking myself for being impatient and buying a PS4 instead of saving up for a PC, I would kill to have true K/M support on consoles (the adaptor kits still have to contend against built in input code IIRC). I do pretty damn good with a controller but I miss that precision and speed only mouse look can offer. It's a night and day difference, sure, you can be good at both but I'm always constantly aware that if I wasn't using the Dualshock 4 I'd be playing a hell of a lot better.

That's just me though. People that have used controllers their whole career would probably not care for K/M at all.

Not trying to be a negative nanny. I really think it's a cool program. After all, we have vanilla source ports for purists, so this makes complete sense to me.

I always found it weird that Doom 3 allowed the player to aim with Pg Up and Pg Down and trying to play with those controls just make the game unfun.

When I first played through Doom 3, I used keyboard only. At the time, I was too used to playing other FPS games with a keyboard, and I wanted to keep the same controls when I started Doom 3.

To be fair, the new DOOM at least does lend itself remarkably well to pad controls, due to the way it handles momentum. Again, strong Metroid Prime feel. That said, rudimentary mouse controls have existed in FPS games since Catacomb 3D, so keyboard steering was really only the more popular choice, not the only one.

You know what, fuck this.

Since none of you have been helpful or willing to help out on contributing to this project, I'm closing this thread.

...chains this thread up and secures it tightly...

EDIT: Oh and whoever sent me that unsolicited PM, I've deleted it without reading it.