Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gothic Box

Forgotten multiplayer FPSes

Dragonfly said:

The list is missing a couple of fun games. Red Faction / Red Faction 2, codeImp's Bloodmasters (albeit not a FPS) is also missing, if it counts.

Seeing Urban Terror and OpenArena on your list takes me back! Great fun. I preferred Q3A but getting my friends to pay for a game back then was nearly impossible.

Urban Terror still has a surprisingly high amount of players considering its age.

I used to play the shit out of it. Good times.

Hellgate: London.. if FPS RPGs count.
Not a great game, still had lots of fun with it. One of the better game communities I've seen.

Until Flagship Studios imploded and servers were shut down, of course.

PS: might be good material for a Doom mod *wink wink* *nudge nudge*

TheMightyHeracross said:

Jedi Outcast. :(

It was active just a few years ago, I remember being a very active member. Now there's very few players.

I thought there was no community anymore at all because it used Gamespy servers (which are now all shut down).

MusicallyInspired said:

I thought there was no community anymore at all because it used Gamespy servers (which are now all shut down).

I'm not sure if it ever used Gamespy, but server setup was a massive hassle if you wanted to play with friends, I remember that. Sort of made a lot of the custom maps useless since the majority of indie server all played that ffa_bespin map on constant rotation, which got old fast.

I never dabbled in the MP much for that game, and I don't have a lot of memories, but I DO remember the Bespin map. It's the only MP map I can recall. I guess it's not surprising considering.

Clonehunter said:

PowerSlave became a new favorite and I've been trying to find a legit copy for both the PSX and PC (Though I did grab PSEX when it was out briefly)

And then Chasm: The Rift looked good enough for me to buy a legit copy over downloading it. It's since become a close favorite and I like to mention it a lot.

Discs for the DOS version of Powerslave seem to be super rare, from what I've observed. You might have better luck getting one of Exhumed (the European version).

Also, Chasm! Was just playing through this recently. Really cool and underrated game (albeit with some bad level design here and there). Never tried it in MP but I'd probably be game to sometime (I assume the mission pack patch fixes the issues you mention, since it says something about TCP/IP as well?)

Corridor 7 apparently had a multiplayer mode that I wouldn't mind trying some time, either. Seems like an unusual feature for a Wolf-alike, ROTT notwithstanding. Supposedly you could choose to play as the different aliens in addition to the marine. (And one of the MP maps has an... interestingly familiar design, heh.) Likewise Witchaven would be interesting too, I guess had some sort of CTF mode, unfortunately the Witchaven games are a bit of a pain to get running nicely in DOSBox because of some stupid ways certain things were programmed.

GoatLord said:

You forgot Gore: Ultimate Soldier.

I remember being curious about this one back in the day just because of the funny title. It made it sound like something that was unapologetically a kill-a-thon in an era when FPS games were expected to be like Half-Life. Whether that's the case or if it's actually any good as such, well... I've never tried it. I wouldn't go by what magazines said, though.

There was also a wizard based FPS called Magestorm. Don't remember much about it though. Only that there were 3 teams in a Match.