Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Most interesting universe?

Edited by Guest

Marathon's story is really intricate, dealing with rival AIs, alien slave uprisings, metaphysical themes like one of the AIs tying to "escape the universe", etc. It's far better than Halo's story, that's for sure.

Other than that, Dune is really cool too. I like how they have advanced technology but banned computers entirely, having people rely on their own biological intelligence rather than being "slaves to the machine". I don't really give a crap about the expanded universe, I like how the "jihad" against technology was left vague in the original universe.

The Quake universe, dark, creepy, obscure, wet, the creatures that live in it are deadly, lurking around the shadows and waiting for an unfortunate victim to come by, so they feast on it, with thier claws, magic and swords, these won't hesitate to attack and will do anything to make sure that any victim won't live to see another day.

I never really explored the Marathon series, so I would have to say the Halo universe is one of them in my list.

Why? This whole thing with Dr. Halsey and her "methods" for the SPARTAN-II project, Spartan Kurt's SPARTAN-IIIs on Onyx, and now the SPARTAN-IV. The whole Covenant, blindly believing their fucking Prophets, the Forerunners and their "choice" to let the humans take over, the Flood and Monitors of the Haloes.

I'm basing this on the novels, they explore more into the universe better than the games.

Sure the story has changed now, into something else (seriously, Cortana is the enemy now, and our beloved Master Chief is believed to have rogue? Hah). I still find the whole thing fascinating: Slipspace, colonization, AIs, Forerunners, Covenant, Flood, Prometheans, Spartans, UNSC, etc.

Thief universe is one of my favourites. I just like that medieval steampunk setting and the concept of mixing advanced steam technology with magic. All Thief characters, factions, creatures, locations are memorable and unique in their own way.
Afaik, Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura has similar setting, but i've never played it.

And i also like Gothic game universe. It's a typical medieval game with typical medieval stuff, but this game's world is just so detailed and memorable that it kind of stands out for me.

Also the Hunger Games universe. Holy shit, that's what I thought. A city filled with "fashionable" people that watch children murder each other in an arena as "reminder", while the rest of the people is Districts starve and suffer. And Katniss Everdeen, is one heck of a character.

Halo's story pales immensely in comparison to Marathon's. Marathon's story explores so many more themes and in more depth. The nature of the universe and how much we can rely on our perception (explored in Infinity), what it means to go beyond the physical limits of our universe (Durandal exploiting Jjaro tech to do so), questioning one's own identity (the mysterious origins of the player character).

Halo is just "look, space battles!" without much depth.

On that note, I think Star Wars is not to be taken seriously to any degree, the OT were good fantasy films, but it's not exactly a "smart" story or universe. Star Trek, on the other hand, is much more complex and explores meaningful themes in depth.

Like I said, I never really explored the Marathon series, so I can't compare it to Halo.

Honourable mention: The Terminator universe.

Uhm, anything related to Lovecraft? I love the whole Azathoth thing, where Azathoth is kinda the "highest god" and there's outer gods who keep him in a sleep by playing on flutes. Then there's gods like Yog Sothoth who's basically the keeper of time and dimensions and can be anywhere anytime.

Also the idea that we visit the dreamlands every night, but most adults forget to remember this. If you know what lucid dreaming is, you know what I'm talking about.

There's just so much to this, that I'm amazed how a single mind can even imagine all this.

Oh and lately I've been rewatching Stargate SG-1, how could I forget that? Loved those as a child, even though I barely knew what was going on. Even better that I do now.

Star Trek has an interesting premise and the themes are certainly more interesting, but the diverseness of Star Wars I still find trumps the universe of Star Trek, if only because it's fucking weird at times (Though Star Trek has some weird shit too, like the living crystal planet thing or whatever that was that sent the enterprise crew to the OK Corral). I suppose both have interesting galaxies, though. Lots of things to explore and things to try and not killed by.

The SCP Foundation series is a really good one. Some very cool and interesting ideas.

Also the Silent Hill series, at least the original games until other developers came along and started ruining it.

I really REALLY love the 'Legacy of Kain' universe.
While the Soul Reaver spinoff series is more popular, I feel like Blood Omen series added more notable landscapes and creatures while retaining the feel of a consistent and living world. Something games often lack.

I like the Quake universe, I'm talking about the original Quake. It's just dark, gloomy, and overall very atmospheric.

The Elder Scrolls. There's also the obvious Star Wars. Star Trek as well. I've always been fond of the Half-Life universe if only for it's exceptional writing and potential. Especially if the third entry in the series (if it ever comes), if it follows HL2's example, could evolve things in even more interesting ways. Then there's Lord of the Rings, which I enjoy, but haven't really delved into it to any great degree.

I guess out of all of those I enjoy TES the most, though. Just so much going on. I was fascinated to learn about the origins of Mundus, the various Daedra, Aedra, and Divines etc. And the game stories always deal with them in interesting new ways; not afraid to change the game at all.

EDIT: Oh! And the Stargate TV series! Fantastic.

Without a doubt, I could probably say I would love to be in the world of 'Full Metal Alchemist'.

I mean are you really surprised I'd pick an anime world?

Oh man, Fantastic Planet. Fuck yeah. I have always also been really into H. R. Giger's worlds. He comes closer than just about anyone else to not only suggesting truly alien environments, but also the kind of impossible, physics-defying nightmares we'd rather forget. It makes me want to see the biomechanics up close and personal, to hear and even smell the living machinery.

Dune's universe also fascinates me because it's more high concept than most sci-fi, set thousands of years into the future, where neo-feudalism is the primary form of government. I've only read the first three books (and watched the 1984 film countless times in addition to playing the excellent 1992 computer game), but a lot of ground is covered, eventually getting into self-imposed evolutionary paths and notions of actual, physical deities. Very strange.

I would have to say the Pokemon world. Its just so incredible seeing all the pokemons intergrated into society, and how 10 year olds can head into the world alone, without parenting!!

This can be my nostalgia screaming in, but i would LOVE heading to work riding a Garchomp!

deadwolves said:

The SCP Foundation series is a really good one. Some very cool and interesting ideas.

This this this. Just goes to to show to far men can go to protect humanity, even if it is unethical.

I agree the Cthulhu storyline is amazing. Basically the whole Lovecraft universe is my favorite of favorites. :>

Fallout. It is interesting because stuff like that can actually happen, and the people in this universe are the best reflection of how humanity is in general.

I've got to say Vampire hunter D. It's a very original concept and it's been around for a long time now.

For me it would have to be the universe within 1984. Considering how old it is, it's very scary how it's painted a picture that seems to show what it is like to be living in a world that we are realistically not far from. A highly watched society on the very brink of destruction where no one is to be trusted as they will use anything against you for their own gain.

I would also say Irvine Welsh's universe which is highly dark as a runner up.

Swine & Roses said:

I really REALLY love the 'Legacy of Kain' universe.
While the Soul Reaver spinoff series is more popular, I feel like Blood Omen series added more notable landscapes and creatures while retaining the feel of a consistent and living world. Something games often lack.

I love how it does time traveling and paradox-fixing, leading to interesting results such as Raziel being invisible to Moebius's abilities to see the future, i wish Crystal Dynamics was allowed to escape that spectral realm of Lara Croft and the Secret Demon Dildo of Ancient Wheat Farmers Lost to Uncharted 72.

What about The Doctor Who universe? You have everything you can possibly think about: monsters, aliens, magic, sci-fi etc...

For me, that'd have to be Star Wars. I mean they have fucking Force Lightning and lightsabers. Go figure.