Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MasterFuton

Futon's Maps

Hey everyone, I'm a simple noob to this community and am looking forward to playing everyone's snap maps. I'll be posting my own maps in this thread.

This first map is the first mission style map I've made. I'll definitely be paying close attention to the feedback I get on how to improve it.

Mission: Have a Nice Day
Map ID: 8QDGSAGM
A single player campaign style mission. Infinite lives & checkpoints as you progress. Enemies drop ammo and health, if you are having a hard time, you probably aren't killing fast enough. I set the speed to be similar to the 2016 main campaign, not multi-player or classic Doom; since multi-player is too slow and while I like the classic speed it takes a lot of the challenge out of some of the enemies.

I hope you all enjoy it as much I enjoyed making and testing it.

This second map is all about getting lost and turned around in the dark with limited health and ammo.

Dark Struggle
Map ID: 8BQJXMD6D
A difficult campaign style mission that can have up to 4 players. 8 lives (7 deaths) shared across all players & checkpoints as you progress.

The first half is all about surviving and trying to find your way. The second half is all about kicking ass to the exit.

I've completed testing on my newest map!

Mission: Toxic Carnage
Map ID: 9EJFALKM
1-4 player linear competitive co-op mission with a few simple puzzles. Infinite lives & Checkpoints included. Scales with player count. Players can kill each other in addition to the ai, winner is determined by points upon completion.

Brad_tilf said:

Snapmap needs more modules

More modules would be nice, but I think a higher object limit would be better. Right now you can either have a moderately long map or a shorter map with a lot of modified pieces. I get that the object limit is there so it doesn't take a half hour to load something, it already takes 2-3 minutes on my two long maps since I used 99% of the allowed objects space; I just wish we had the space. More wall pieces in for the large props, and a better texture for solid player blocking volumes would be great too.

In any event, if anyone has played my maps I would really appreciate some feedback. It's hard to get better without knowing what people like or don't like about what I'm creating. I'm having fun playing them during testing, but I'm a bit biased since they're my maps.

It's not even the modules, it's the fact that they only join through doorways. Most snapmaps are not like DooM 2016, but more like "Wolfenstein 2016": open the door, enter the room, kill all monsters, open the door, enter the next room and so on...

Anyway... I don't really like the survival-type of gameflow, so I'm not competent in giving a review. I just wanted to ask something: on the first map, Have A Nice Day, right on the start we need to find a yellow key. I cleared the surroundings, but all the other doors were locked. I couldn't get them to open. I re-loaded and replayed the map just in case, but all the same: I am stuck at the beginning, all doors are locked. Am I missing something?

Gave the run through of the first map. Odd of Mooky to mention the yellow key, cause i had no problems clearing the map. Must be a glitch i never had.

Gameplay: 3/5 – Pretty good battles, but the first lockdown lasted longer than it should, honestly. I like the speed this map had, and the sheer amount of enemies in this map. But I barely found any weapons in it, which may be intentional.
Difficulty: 2/5 – Difficulty will always be a subjective critique of mines, and it’s no different here. I ran through this map without ever dying. I think there was way too many armor pickups to keep me alive. It was still fun, don’t get me wrong, but it was easy for me.
Map Design: 5/5 - THIS MAP HAD SOME EXCELLENT PROPPING TO IT. There was a lot of hard work of mapping done in this map, and it shows! Also a lot of use of FXs. Very nice!
Sound: 3/5 – This could be just me, but Industrial 1 sounds too quiet for me to hear. Alright soundtrack.
Uniqueness: 3/5 – Its got some good action events and mapping, I’ll give it that. But it isn’t a new thing I’ve seen in other maps. It does what it does well.
Technicality: 4/5 – a yellow keycard said “POI Text”. But otherwise pretty good. Checkpoints are always lovely.

Check on that yellow keycard. Seems like its cause some issue. Otherwise good work!

Thanks alot for the replies!

Mooky said:

It's not even the modules, it's the fact that they only join through doorways. Most snapmaps are not like DooM 2016, but more like "Wolfenstein 2016": open the door, enter the room, kill all monsters, open the door, enter the next room and so on...

Ah, this is my first experience with a snapmap. Previous experience is just making multiplayer levels in Halo 3's forge and some old skateboarding games.

Mooky said:

Anyway... I don't really like the survival-type of gameflow, so I'm not competent in giving a review.

That's fine, I'm mostly interested in if people are having fun playing the maps.

Mooky said:

I just wanted to ask something: on the first map, Have A Nice Day, right on the start we need to find a yellow key. I cleared the surroundings, but all the other doors were locked. I couldn't get them to open. I re-loaded and replayed the map just in case, but all the same: I am stuck at the beginning, all doors are locked. Am I missing something?

The room with the keycard is where the cacodemon comes out. It should unlock the yellow door on the bridge if that's where you're stuck. There should be a poi highlighting it.

Potatoguy said:

Gave the run through of the first map. Odd of Mooky to mention the yellow key, cause i had no problems clearing the map. Must be a glitch i never had.

It is strange, in all of my testing I haven't had a bug involving keys not spawning or anything like that. I'm wondering if the yellow doors might look a bit too much like regular doors at a glance. I'll change the color to something more obvious just incase.

Potatoguy said:

Gameplay: 3/5 – Pretty good battles, but the first lockdown lasted longer than it should, honestly. I like the speed this map had, and the sheer amount of enemies in this map. But I barely found any weapons in it, which may be intentional.
Difficulty: 2/5 – Difficulty will always be a subjective critique of mines, and it’s no different here. I ran through this map without ever dying. I think there was way too many armor pickups to keep me alive. It was still fun, don’t get me wrong, but it was easy for me.
Map Design: 5/5 - THIS MAP HAD SOME EXCELLENT PROPPING TO IT. There was a lot of hard work of mapping done in this map, and it shows! Also a lot of use of FXs. Very nice!
Sound: 3/5 – This could be just me, but Industrial 1 sounds too quiet for me to hear. Alright soundtrack.
Uniqueness: 3/5 – Its got some good action events and mapping, I’ll give it that. But it isn’t a new thing I’ve seen in other maps. It does what it does well.
Technicality: 4/5 – a yellow keycard said “POI Text”. But otherwise pretty good. Checkpoints are always lovely.

Check on that yellow keycard. Seems like its cause some issue. Otherwise good work!

Thanks a ton for the review! I'll definitely keep what you said in mind as I move forward. Especially concerning the difficulty.

"Have a Nice Day" really is my first attempt at a snapmap, so I really focused just on getting a nice flow to it and keeping it fun. Each map I'm making focuses on an aspect of snapmap I'm trying to teach myself. "Have a Nice Day" really is the basics of what I thought all maps should have: checkpoints, be easy to understand, and be fun with minimal glitches. Dark Struggle 8BQJXMD6D is harder for the first half, but it was really an experiment in pudo-non-linear level design and due to the quantity of rooms doesn't have much propping (something I rectified in Toxic Carnage). I didn't learn how to start pushing difficulty for different skill levels of gamers until Toxic Carnage 9EJFALKM (I've got a little bit of dynamic difficulty thing tied to the conductor in that one, so it gets easier after players die and harder when they're killing more and more.) So people can expect a little more challenge after my next experiment in progress (trying to make a map with randomized rooms).

MasterFuton said:

The room with the keycard is where the cacodemon comes out. It should unlock the yellow door on the bridge if that's where you're stuck. There should be a poi highlighting it.

Strange. I cleared the room with the bridge, but there's no cacodemon. I only encounter the possessed workers/guards and the imps. Then I go to the room where the assault rifle is (there's one more possessed worker spawning and one imp waiting), and there is a door there which is locked. Then I go back to the bridge and both the yellow door and the other one are locked. There's no POI appearing.

Ok, I think I see where you're stuck. The door that was locked should have a button next to it that unlocks it, leading to the first big battle area.

Is it the door opposite the rifle...

...or the door in the room with the bridge?

They are both locked and I can't find a button next to them.