Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoirSuede

DOOM 4 makes me want to quit gaming - DWTerminator

@Jaxxoon R, I think this man has some type of sensory disorder to be honest, He seems quite hung up on alot of the small details that didn't make his expectations.

Jaxxoon R said:

Holy shit I just read the comments, this guy has literally no idea there's a separation between his beliefs and actual fact. He's going around acting like how mad he got over some personal gripes is an objective measurement of how objectively bad the game is ("Doom 4 is a fairly crappy FPS on its own, objectively around a 2/5 or if I'm being extremely generous a 2.5/5."). He also responds to almost every single comment on the video with some "snarky comments" (all direct quotes, by the way). He also says Brutal Doom is better than 4, thinks the soundtrack is dubstep, and hates Dark Souls.

He's literally the worst.

I am not a fan of Brutal Doom at all :(

Wow, this is more boring than i thought, well damn, this guy's got some anger issues, saying that DOOM sucks and all that, typical of someone who expected DOOM to be like the classic Doom.

He don't like Doom because it's too mainstream.... Just listen to way he says 00:50-00:56. He also see small things, like the "Doom Lore".... hell the game doesn't force you to read any of the data you pick in the game... If you wish you can avoid them at all...

Just i couldn't care less about what this guy said.

When I read the title I had to double check if I was in Steam forums.

why does this even matter at all to you and why should it affect what anybody else thinks about the game?

Chezza said:

When I read the title I had to double check if I was in Steam forums.

The funny part is that the thread title a quote from the video in question.

Meh, everyone has their own opinion. Not everyone is going to like this game.

I personally love it.

Heh... "my childhood reviewer".

This guy is so much alike all the other unprofessional & generically amateur (oops, I mean independent) reviewers out there, that I could have literally googled "DOOM 2016 youtube reviews" and this particular one would have probably been nestled 18 pages down amongst other crapshoot wannabe-critic videos that nobody would give much of a fuck about, lol. I think you're fibbing, OP.

Pulling our chain, methinks.

Almonds said:

why does this even matter at all to you and why should it affect what anybody else thinks about the game?

Think of it like "My girlfriend left me, And i cannot carry on without her", Which is kinda stupid in gaming .

Despite his plea at the end, the dude sounds like he wanted to hate on Doom ever since the beta. He acts like he logically separated his cynicism from the game before diving in, but the way he constantly compares it to old Doom and walks away disappointed makes me think he would've loathed "Doom 2016" whether it's a COD clone or Serious Sam clone, due entirely to legacy alone. I do agree with some of his complaints but a couple of others are just silly, many of which the footage refutes.

For instance, he complains about the game being slow while showing either 1) reasonably snappy gameplay (even compared to classic Doom) or 2) himself purposefully playing cautiously by staying at a distance/behind cover. He complains about the repetition of the glory kills while later showing footage of himself glory killing the lower tier enemies for no reason (oh sorry, for 3 health I mean). He complains about the enemies being bullet sponges while constantly killing them in 1-3 shots (does he not remember the durability of Doom 2's bestiary?) And he complains how easy UV is and how hard Nightmare is despite not having beat the game on either setting (he could've simply played on UV and not put himself through with those "mandatory upgrade hunts" he loathed so much). It's not like there's this massive gulf between the difficulties anyway.

It's fine not to like the game. It's fine if a couple of aspects turn you away from it too. Hell, I think the game has its fare share of problems that drag it down. But criticizing the game for its "slowness" seems entirely backwards and reads to me like the guy can't even come to grips with the core principles of what people like about this game (not metal enough? Really?). Sometimes, I suppose, disappointment is just such a bitter toxin that you start to imagine the weirdest things in order to justify your raging scorn.

Ugh, When are people gonna stop comparing Doom '16 to Classic Doom, They're completely different .

Jesus Christ, I had to stop watching after a few minutes. His use of the word boring is a good way to describe him! To me he comes across as a bit of a c**t, just wants to be different and deliberately awkward for the sake of it, like some have said he already made his mind up before playing it.

I couldn't care what anyone says, I love the game, end of and I know I'm part of the majority who thinks the same.

DWTerminator can stay in his basement drinking mountain drew and combing his neckbeard, hating on good games for all I care.

edit - before anyone says I must care to comment! I am because I'm shocked that the OP would base his decisions on listening to that tool on youtube. learn to use your brain and form your own opinion. If you like something in life and it makes you happy then all is good, just don't stop liking it because others think differently.

The guy lost all credibility when he called the OST Dubstep and stubbornly refuses to admit he's wrong....

I actually kinda agree with some of his points, but I think he's overly exaggerating on everything, it almost feels like he tried his hardest to find every single tiny little thing he didn't like.

I (kind of) agree with:

Spoiler

-Sound design is lacking. The only weapons I really like are the Gauss Cannon, BFG and Chainsaw when it comes to sound design.

-UV too easy, NM too hard. ...Kind of. There's a huge difficulty gap between the two, and I think there should be an in-between, but honestly, NM isn't that bad once you get good enough at the game, and further into the game with all the guns, upgrades and runes you'll be wrecking everything, even on NM.

-Unskippable cutscenes are bad. I think they were interesting the first time, but I don't want to listen to Hayden for the 47th time when I'm doing UNM runs.

-Rune trials ruin the pacing. The loading screens kind of make me feel that as well, and they just feel so disconnected from the rest of the single-player campaign.

-The HAR crosshair sucks. Just, yeah.

I disagree with:
Spoiler

-The lore gets in the way. Seriously, just turn off the notifications!

-Secrets are necessary. If you aren't good enough, but honestly, going through Doom II without getting any secrets on UV probably aint easy either.

-Glory kills are repetitive. I dunno, I never got tired of ripping imps in half.

-Player is too slow. Eh, it's fine. I would love an option to increase the player base speed though. A difficulty customizer would be pretty neat actually, where you could tweak all kinds of settings.

-The music is bad. I kinda liked it. Not the type of stuff I would or headbang to or whatever, but it's certainly not bad. It's also not dubstep.

-The MP is bad. I actually thought it was okay. Definitely not anything particularly great, and it certainly failed to keep me any longer than until Overwatch came out. Also, please stop using "It's DOOM" as an argument for everything.

Also if you keep blowing yourself up, consider firing at longer ranges and buy the god damn upgrade to decrease weapon self damage!

Even I got quite a few gripes with the game, but I still hella enjoyed it! Easily one of the best single-player FPS to come out in a long time.

@dobu gabu maru, I doubt thats him playing in all of the clips, his steam profile said he only had like 6 hours into the game.

This guy seems like the worst kind of purist: The game isn't a carbon copy of DOOM and DOOM II, therefore it sucks.

I don't care about his opinion, or anyone's negative opinion on the game.

If it brings me some joy (since that's what a game is for), then it's a great game to me.

I'll ignore all his dumb bullshit about what a Doom game 'should' be, but this bit at 23:35 stuck out to me.

He complains that when he died on Nightmare it wasn't his fault but the game. A rocket explosion too close. A barrel he didn't see. An enemy spawning behind him.

So basically "I have bad situational awareness and that's the fault of the game!" is what I hear.

ReFracture said:

I'll ignore all his dumb bullshit about what a Doom game 'should' be, but this bit at 23:35 stuck out to me.

He complains that when he died on Nightmare it wasn't his fault but the game. A rocket explosion too close. A barrel he didn't see. An enemy spawning behind him.

So basically "I have bad situational awareness and that's the fault of the game!" is what I hear.

Truth.

to be fair, the sound mixing in the game makes it pretty much impossible to tell when an Imp IS behind you or not. you could argue it has more to do with you having to keep track of the enemy's movements than sound-cues, but i think the existence of both things aren't mutually exclusive in a game like this.

Nah, im not buyin it. Funny guy tho. So much vile and bitterness im pretty sure guys covered with sores and mucus...

chubz said:

This guy seems like the worst kind of purist: The game isn't a carbon copy of DOOM and DOOM II, therefore it sucks.

And then you've got another Classic Doom fan, Markiplier, who had the time of his life with this game so I guess it depends on how much of a scrutinizing cynic you want to be.

MetroidJunkie said:

And then you've got another Classic Doom fan, Markiplier, who had the time of his life with this game so I guess it depends on how much of a scrutinizing cynic you want to be.

Yeah, but for as annoying as Markiplier can get on a bad day, he's generally in a joyus mood and even if he's having not enjoying a game, he still tries to keep his attitude positive and at least semi-constructive, which is what makes him a joy to listen to sometimes.

This guy is a shithead.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Ugh, When are people gonna stop comparing Doom '16 to Classic Doom, They're completely different .

Never, and why would they, exactly? They're not exactly completely different. They're both Doom games, with some similar core ideas, enemy roster, weapons... It's the same franchise, OF COURSE you'll compare them. That's perfectly valid.

His conclusions are, however, totally wank.

This is coming from someone who has been playing Doom for going on over two decades now, since I was 7. I love OG Doom. Doom 2016 could have been SO much more shitty, and it's actually a fairly clever reinvention of the franchise, and goddamnit, the most important thing of all... FUN.

Bah, even Derek Alexander called the OST "Dubstep". Uneducated peasants, the very lot of them XD .

Isn't that the Stop Skeletons From Fighting guy?

I loved his Doom 64/Parasite Eve series reviews. Too bad he's given in to the random buzzword referring to something he doesn't quite like.

Yup, that's him. He did like the soundtrack, he just had no clue what genre to put it into. And to be fair, though, most folks couldn't tell dubstep from breakcore or witch house, or whatever sub-subgenre you presented them with, if you forced them at gunpoint. You're either a fan, or you're not.

OpenMaw said:

Never, and why would they, exactly?

A Game on same franchise doesn't necessarily have to be an exact remake of it's predecessors (Like some Mario games that don't play like the first one), That's my point .

Because it wouldn't work fine most times just like what happened with Doom 3, Some people (and i don't understand why) are disappointed because the New game somehow doesn't play like the Older Dooms, But you know all i gotta tell them is "You want something that you already have" .

OpenMaw said:

Yeah, but for as annoying as Markiplier can get on a bad day, he's generally in a joyus mood and even if he's having not enjoying a game, he still tries to keep his attitude positive and at least semi-constructive, which is what makes him a joy to listen to sometimes.

This guy is a shithead.

True, I think the most criticizing I've seen Markiplier get (Aside from just being angry in the heat of the moment in the middle of playing a rage game) was this game someone threw together incredibly half-assedly that was supposed to be a horror game but Mark couldn't even pretend to be shocked by anything in it, it even had Slenderman appear for absolutely no reason other than just to be there, and Mark was still far less harsh about that than DWTerminator was about Doom 2016. XD

I know I kind of harped on the Classic levels being completely devoid of any kind of lighting (Irritates the Hell out of me because, in my opinion, many of those Classic levels built most of their atmosphere around the innovative at the time ability to create different levels of brightness) but, overall, the game looks incredibly awesome and turned out far better than Duke Nukem Forever did, at least in terms of its Single Player.