Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brad_tilf

Descent into Darknes (pics).

I'm really proud of how this one came out. I spent ALOT of time on the atmospherics and gameplay on this one and used dozens of backups to ensure if any snags occurred, I had a good version to go back to. This one is difficult but very doable and has one checkpoint just in case. :-)

ID is "JMV2PDG3"

I'd really like feedback on this one if you guys don't mind.

Darkness has two (s)'s, GOD DAMN IT.

Will give this map a shot! I'll edit this post once i've given a roll!

Potatoguy said:

Darkness has two (s)'s, GOD DAMN IT.

Will give this map a shot! I'll edit this post once i've given a roll!

Woops - typo. lol

It not half bad! Still got some issues, but it's relatively a good map.

Gameplay: 3/5 – It ain’t boring! The enemies weren’t to difficult to kill, unless they were Spectres, which really spike the difficulty to ludicrous degrees… I’m surprised I got spooked! Didn’t expect a snapmap to spook me a bit!
Difficulty: 3/5 – Manageable. Although the spectres in a dark room is a bit unfair. Pinkies were still a challenge even in the darkness!
Map Design: 3/5 – Looks like the maps were all block-shape rooms, but that can go with the theme this map is going: claustrophobic. Got that feel playing it.
Sound: 2/5 – Sorry. One track songs will never be my thing. Other idle songs after the teleporter or just pure atmospheric noises could have worked.
Uniqueness: 3/5 – Gameplay isn’t new, but isn’t offensive. I had some fun, especially with the unexpected pinkies! Keep more of that surprises throughout this map!
Technicality: 4/5 – Enemies keep respawning, which I don’t know if that’s intentional. Otherwise no bugs. Checkpoints are always a plus!

Darkness, my old friend....
Jokes aside, not bad. :)

Potatoguy said:

It not half bad! Still got some issues, but it's relatively a good map.

Gameplay: 3/5 – It ain’t boring! The enemies weren’t to difficult to kill, unless they were Spectres, which really spike the difficulty to ludicrous degrees… I’m surprised I got spooked! Didn’t expect a snapmap to spook me a bit!

Difficulty: 3/5 – Manageable. Although the spectres in a dark room is a bit unfair. Pinkies were still a challenge even in the darkness!

It was intentional. I actually kept a version that is harder and another that is easier. I figured I'd go down the middle on this one since you are fighting in a dark map. So I actually toned it down (a little)

Map Design: 3/5 – Looks like the maps were all block-shape rooms, but that can go with the theme this map is going: claustrophobic. Got that feel playing it.

Funny you should mention that since I was basing this off of my Doom 2 map - Claustrophobia - which was darker, and tighter. But, this was the closest I could come considering the limitations of working with the modules.
You also didn't mention any of the (what I consider) unusual things I attempted, like "windows" in the floor and ceiling (did you notice them?) or placing steam/plasma, etc... on walls and ceilings to add to the atmospherics - which I thought came out really good and immersed you in the environment. (should get extra points for the environment - lol)

Sound: 2/5 – Sorry. One track songs will never be my thing. Other idle songs after the teleporter or just pure atmospheric noises could have worked.

eh. Maybe I'm just used to Doom/Doom 2 so much that I don't pay that much attention to it.

Uniqueness: 3/5 – Gameplay isn’t new, but isn’t offensive. I had some fun, especially with the unexpected pinkies! Keep more of that surprises throughout this map!

Still trying to keep that classic feel in the new game. I have always enjoyed the original games and the way they flowed without having to lead a player by the nose or give him directions to everything.

Technicality: 4/5 – Enemies keep respawning, which I don’t know if that’s intentional. Otherwise no bugs. Checkpoints are always a plus!

Totally intentional. It came about because of the triggers that I used and I chose to keep them that way because it made it more interesting/challenging

Darkness, my old friend....
Jokes aside, not bad. :)

Thanks. Personally I would have given it higher marks I think but then again, I'm not unbiased. lol Thanks for playing.

Just finished it. I really enjoyed it, you really maximized the atmosphere a lot more than I did on my own dark map (8BQJXMD6D).

Gameplay: 4/5 I may be a little biased but I really enjoyed the heck out of it. I got turned around and lost a few times, but that's part of the fun of dark maps. Could have used a more distinguishing landmark or setpiece every now and again to keep the players from getting too lost, but too many and it'd loose its appeal.

Difficulty: 3/5 Wasn't ever overly challenging, but the constant stream of enemies keeps it from getting boring.

Sound: 2/5 Could have used more music or sound effects. Sound can make or break a map. After the nice groove at the start the lack of music really made the map seem like it was dragging. You could tie the music to intensity changes to keep it going for most of the map: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGi3YomJE90

Style: 5/5 Again I really love dark maps, but the fire and smoke really added something to the atmosphere of this one. I also really loved the windows in the long corridor at the beginning, makes a simple and sometimes boring map piece interesting.

Overall: 4/5 Could use a little improvement, but overall a fun map to play.

MasterFuton said:

Just finished it. I really enjoyed it, you really maximized the atmosphere a lot more than I did on my own dark map (8BQJXMD6D).

Gameplay: 4/5 I may be a little biased but I really enjoyed the heck out of it. I got turned around and lost a few times, but that's part of the fun of dark maps. Could have used a more distinguishing landmark or setpiece every now and again to keep the players from getting too lost, but too many and it'd loose its appeal.

Difficulty: 3/5 Wasn't ever overly challenging, but the constant stream of enemies keeps it from getting boring.

Sound: 2/5 Could have used more music or sound effects. Sound can make or break a map. After the nice groove at the start the lack of music really made the map seem like it was dragging. You could tie the music to intensity changes to keep it going for most of the map: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGi3YomJE90

Style: 5/5 Again I really love dark maps, but the fire and smoke really added something to the atmosphere of this one. I also really loved the windows in the long corridor at the beginning, makes a simple and sometimes boring map piece interesting.

Overall: 4/5 Could use a little improvement, but overall a fun map to play.

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :-)

Cacockcansukmycok said:

noice

Thanks man. I hope you upvoted it. :-)
nuther 100k and maybe it'll get noticed. lol