Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Would you play a Doom strategy game?

Do you think Doom could be interesting material for a strategy game? I mean the demons have a lot of different types of monsters to choose from and the marines could be represented as your typical human/terran rts faction.

Do you think a Doom RTS or some kind of strategy game could work?

There have been classic 2D RTS based on Doom for some time now. Check out Doom Wars (based on Stratagus engine) and Doom: Hell Commander.

I think there was Doom campaign/strategy for Civ 2 that was included in the "Gold edition" box but I might be mis-remembering.

I think the ones that are out in the market right now are interesting, but in my opinion a high budget Doom strategy game could be good but at the same time not appealing to the audience.

Well, it gets based on Doom 3 or Doom 2016 instead, that's another story. But I think Starcraft has already been made ;-)

Maes said:

There have been classic 2D RTS based on Doom for some time now. Check out Doom Wars (based on Stratagus engine) and Doom: Hell Commander.

I haven't had any luck finding a live link to the Doom: Hell Commander file. Looks like Beta 3 was the last release, but maybe I haven't looked hard enough yet.

Maes said:

Hell Commander is 3D though. Either way, it is a shame that neither will get completed...

dethtoll said:

An XCOM-style Doom game would be the cat's ass.

That would be interesting.

dethtoll said:

Too complex?

If I guessed you right: that was a flamboyant way to replace "great" adjective.

shotfan said:

Actually, "cat's paw" is my favourite, but I think your version works too.

The old saying is "cat's pajamas."

The only RTS I played to any real degree (By that, I mean obsessively) is Age of Empires: Rise of Rome. That could actually work if you factor Doom 2016's lore into the main story, it could start out like it did with Doom Slayer's ancestors, with medieval fights between pure demons and sword carrying bloodknights and then you work your way through the technological age as the cybernetics and weapons get more and more sophisticated. Also, upgrading individual units like, say, you could have Shotgun Marines that you upgrade to Super Shotgun Marines or Hell Knights that upgrade to Barons.

Well...if you think about it Doom is also a strategy game. With some extreme forms of speedrunning/slaughter, movement, route planning and position matter much more than being able to shoot straight at an enemy. So a specialized RTS, in some ways, would be an oversimplification.