http://download847.mediafire.com/xrwanvl8q8gg/nct5dhusrs1jk77/EARTH+FINAL_8.rar

MAP01: Outskirts
MAP02: Server Warehouse
MAP03: Processing Plant
MAP04: Hybrid Breeding Facility
MAP05: Terror Ducts
MAP06: Close Quarters
MAP07: Union Aerospace Complex

Should be a good challenge on Watch me Die difficulty.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Note that these maps are not supposed to be played with jumping, and pistol start is possible. Auto-aim friendly, and can be played without mouselook.

As someone who has also been working on a few Doom64 maps for a few months the lack of replies isn't really encouraging!!!

I'll be checking these out soon. I wish Doom64 modding were more popular but I guess the smaller bestiary and having to get the ROM really discourages people.

I love me a bit of doom64, but I've never played a PWAD with it. How do you run it?

dt_ said:

I love me a bit of doom64, but I've never played a PWAD with it. How do you run it?

Just drop the WAD into the exe and it'll start.

Tritnew said:

Just drop the WAD into the exe and it'll start.

You use the launcher and in the command box at the bottom type -file ****.wad to run custom content.

Huh, I usually just drop the WAD into the launcher, but that sounds a little more useful for sure.

The more you know, I suppose.

Good luck with your mapping MrSkeletal!

I've been working on the 3rd map for this project today. I worked out how doom64 does "floating" type 3d floor sectors so putting that to good use. Turns out you can just have the sky lowered and it wont render the sky at all

This example is from the Doom64 Techbible (find a copy of the PDF online - well worth checking out)

Spoiler

Sorry again for the noob question, but is there a DB plugin for this or is it a totally separate program? A (brief) search hasn't thrown up a definitive answer

edit- I've sorted this

dt_ said:

Sorry again for the noob question, but is there a DB plugin for this or is it a totally separate program? A (brief) search hasn't thrown up a definitive answer

edit- I've sorted this

Yeah Doom64 Builder is what you want. Best of luck! The colors can be set in the sector properties, you'll see the usual Properties tab, and also a "Lights" tab where you can set the colors.

Any questions feel free to ask!

Cool, cheers. Yeah got it, will have a go at mapping. Are there any 'classic' megawads for ex, something like it's version of alien vendetta?

In the second map I'd tell you to move up the switch you have to shoot at the beginning (right after the two small crushers). I have auto aim enabled with mouse look off (to simulate the original Doom 64) and was stuck there for a while until I tried enabling it and shooting it.
Right at the end of the same map if you happen to fall into the pit there doesn't seem to be a way out. Likewise, if you fall into the small blood pools there's no way to get back up unless you enable jumping.

HexenMapper said:

I've been working on the 3rd map for this project today. I worked out how doom64 does "floating" type 3d floor sectors so putting that to good use. Turns out you can just have the sky lowered and it wont render the sky at all

This example is from the Doom64 Techbible (find a copy of the PDF online - well worth checking out)

That should be stickied or something. I tried to map for D64 and didn't have anything to reference so quickly gave up.

MrSkeltal said:

In the second map I'd tell you to move up the switch you have to shoot at the beginning (right after the two small crushers). I have auto aim enabled with mouse look off (to simulate the original Doom 64) and was stuck there for a while until I tried enabling it and shooting it.
Right at the end of the same map if you happen to fall into the pit there doesn't seem to be a way out. Likewise, if you fall into the small blood pools there's no way to get back up unless you enable jumping.

Ah shit I forgot people tend to play this with auto-aim. I'll rectify that so the switch is the right height.

As for the pits at the end and the blood pools, both were supposed to be fatal. But I'll throw in a teleporter at the bottom in case anyone actually survives!

Do people generally play d64 with jumping enabled? When I last played it on the N64 and completed 'hectic' I was allowed this option throughout the game and found it useful. It was possible to break the game however on a couple of maps by skipping linedefs

dt_ said:

Do people generally play d64 with jumping enabled? When I last played it on the N64 and completed 'hectic' I was allowed this option throughout the game and found it useful. It was possible to break the game however on a couple of maps by skipping linedefs

I never play with jumping, and I think the game is made with that in mind. I did disable auto-aim though, just for a bit more of a challenge using a mouse.

In doom64 supposedly you can only enable jumping by completing one of the secret levels "the hard way" whatever that means!

There's no fall damage in Doom 64 as far as I know. The two times I fell into the pit I took none whatsoever.

MrSkeltal said:

There's no fall damage in Doom 64 as far as I know. The two times I fell into the pit I took none whatsoever.

Ah, good to know. I'm used to hexen and doom1/2 where falling a certain amount will outright kill you. In that case the room at the end with the conveyor belts doesn't need to be anywhere as high, and I'll add a teleporter at the bottom so players can try again.

EDIT - Teleporters added, switch height changed for auto-aim friendliness. OP link updated.

'The hard way' means pretty much a full day of cursing, trial and error and a shit ton of luck (especially on the console) It's not fun, but it had to be done

HexenMapper said:

In PC Doom this results in "columns of sky" hiding what stands behind them -- all the stuff that is covered by the red and green textures in the editor shot becomes sky and do not allow to see what's behind them; but in Doom 64 the sky doesn't hide what's behind it.

Gez said:

In PC Doom this results in "columns of sky" hiding what stands behind them -- all the stuff that is covered by the red and green textures in the editor shot becomes sky and do not allow to see what's behind them; but in Doom 64 the sky doesn't hide what's behind it.

Why is this exactly? The way the engine renders it? I've wondered if it's possible for PC Doom to use this same behavior because it would be extremely useful in some situations.

Nevander said:

Why is this exactly? The way the engine renders it? I've wondered if it's possible for PC Doom to use this same behavior because it would be extremely useful in some situations.

Just use 3d floors. Bonus is you can actually stand on them. Unless you're aiming for vanilla compatibility, in which case working around "columns of sky" is part of the parcel :)

Another noob question, sorry, in DB64, is there any other way at all to see how intense the coloured lighting is other than using that preview box- I find that it's really hard to tell; the box looks really dark after about 5 or 6 clicks yet the lighting is still really bright. A numerical value a la regular doom instead of the colour preview box would be great, do you know if this is an option somewhere?

dt_ said:

Another noob question, sorry, in DB64, is there any other way at all to see how intense the coloured lighting is other than using that preview box- I find that it's really hard to tell; the box looks really dark after about 5 or 6 clicks yet the lighting is still really bright. A numerical value a la regular doom instead of the colour preview box would be great, do you know if this is an option somewhere?

You should be able to see the colors in visual mode, just press B to enable brightness / colors. They will be less accentuated in-game. So make a dark area darker than you think it should be, and a light area slightly brighter. That way when you playtest the brightness should be about right.

I dont really use the color preview mode, prefer to see the colors and the textures together as a "final package"

Awesome, thanks, will try that. Managed to work out the scripting system (that'll make for some good encounters) but stumbled a bit on the lighting somehow. Will draw a map up in the next couple of days and get to work

dt_ said:

Awesome, thanks, will try that. Managed to work out the scripting system (that'll make for some good encounters) but stumbled a bit on the lighting somehow. Will draw a map up in the next couple of days and get to work

Nice, yeah the scripting took me a while, having to include the exact directory your compiler is in was a bit fiddly. I'm still only using it for VERY basic scripts, but at least I can teleport in some stuff when a player hits a switch or opens a door, which is handy to keep the pressure on the player.

The lighting does kind of slow down the process, but its well worth it. And once you have one room set up, each new room you connect to it will automatically have the same lighting, so that helps speed things up a bit.

I really wish there was a way to copy lights from one sector to another more easily in the editor. Would be a handy feature.

There's a cheat code for Turok called tutti-fruitti. The lighting in these levels really reminds me of play with that cheat enabled. It was interesting.

sudo459 said:

There's a cheat code for Turok called tutti-fruitti. The lighting in these levels really reminds me of play with that cheat enabled. It was interesting.

Heh It seems to be a trap for new mappers to doom64 - maximum saturation reds. I need to learn to tone things down a bit, desaturate, be more subtle... Supposedly the level designers in doom64 tried to avoid red and green because it was too "Christmas like". I like the contrast of red and light blue, but I may have overdone the ole max saturation red in these maps. Hopefully my lighting will mellow as I go on.

I'm already getting there I hope:

Spoiler

Wih regards to colour again, doom64 tends to look a bit too gloomy sometimes. Can repallette existing textures to be a flat colour, similar to the blue carpet used in the OG doom which seems to give a kind of fresh feel to the game and cheers it up a bit. Only thing it misses are a couple of decent light textures... What's the crack with adding custom textures?

dt_ said:

Wih regards to colour again, doom64 tends to look a bit too gloomy sometimes. Can repallette existing textures to be a flat colour, similar to the blue carpet used in the OG doom which seems to give a kind of fresh feel to the game and cheers it up a bit. Only thing it misses are a couple of decent light textures... What's the crack with adding custom textures?

It looks like custom textures are supported, I haven't tried it out though

http://doom64ex.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Adding_New_Textures

EDIT: I tried this out and it seems to work at long as you stick to the rules. I made a PNG that was 64 X 128 in size, put it between TT_START and TT_END in slade and it works pretty well:

Spoiler

dont ask... this is for a hybrid breeding facility after all!