Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiGHTMARE

If there had been more monsters in Doom...

If ID had decided to add a tonne more monsters to Doom (2) when they were making it, what kinds of creatures do you think they would have made/would you have liked them to have made?

Personally I think a few more types of former humans would have been good, especially a Rocket Launcher guy (as in ObTiC), a Plasma Gun guy (who would have to be even tougher looking than the HWD) and of course a chainsaw wielding one ;)

I'd have liked to have seen a boss level Imp. It would have to be somewhat bigger and slightly slower than a regular Imp, a lot tougher, and through something like five fireballs at a time.

An even tougher relative of the Hell Knight and Baron would have been great too. A Lord of Hell or something :) Dark red skin, throws two fireballs at a time (one from each hand), which could even be a different colour.

A flying Arachnotron might also have worked well. Imagine running around map12 (The Factory) dodging plasma from up in the sky as well as the ground.

How about another in the Caco series? A dark reddish caco which is tougher than the caco.

A large, flying gargoyle type enemy would have been nice. He could shoot huge fireballs at you from far away, and use a sword (obviously bloody) for melee attacks.
A chainsaw guy would have been nice, but he would have to be either very fast or very tough for him to be effective.
Or maybe a different kind of imp or Hell Knight. Instead of throwing fireballs, some kind of tentacle or something comes out of his hands and goes into the ground. About a second later very large and very sharp spikes shoot up from the ground right about where you are.

A RL guy? Nah, not unless his rockets were weak. A plasma guy would have been alright for DooM but for DooM 2 it would have been gay. A chainsaw zombie and "berserk fist" zombie (I know NiGHTMARE didn't mention a berserk zombie) would have added to the tension in dark areas IF they were fast! Super Imps? How about translucent Imps (like in DooM 64) that tosses two fireballs? That would have been cool. A flying Arachnatron would have fucking ruled.

The monster from forbidden planet, sort of like the stealth demon but 4x as large. Also a flamethrower zombie would be cool.

I think there should have been 2 types of Lost Souls, one from the DooM we all know and love and the one from the press release beta, with the telepathic attack!

Something similar to the Stalkers in Hexen, except he would be like some kind of lava beast. When he pokes his head up from under the lava, he breathes a continuous stream of fire like a flamethrower. Of course, the range would be fairly short.

A small boss enemy. Weaker than the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind but more powerful than any of the regular enemies. In DOOM II it could've functioned as the Barons did in DOOM's later episodes as a monster much tougher than any other. This enemy should've resembled a Demon or Baron of Hell for the looks, and preferrably have a very close-range (but powerful) attack.

Fredrik said:
A small boss enemy. Weaker than the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind but more powerful than any of the regular enemies. In DOOM II it could've functioned as the Barons did in DOOM's later episodes as a monster much tougher than any other. This enemy should've resembled a Demon or Baron of Hell for the looks, and preferrably have a very close-range (but powerful) attack.

umm... that's sounds like a discription of a hell knight.

Ct_red_pants said:

umm... that's sounds like a discription of a hell knight.

No, when I said regular enemies, I meant all but the Cyberdemon and the Spider Mastermind.

Hmm....well, I would've left those blasted Chaingunners out and put some more demonic enemies in, in their place:
1. Death Elemental: Kinda like a Caco, only bigger, transparent, and can spit 4 fireballs at once, plus it has twice the original Caco's HP.
2. Phantasm: Transparent Lost Soul, only bigger, stronger and faster. These guys could be nightmares in close quarters, as they have about 80 to 90 HP more than the Lost Soul. They would have two attacks, the classic "telepathic attack" and of course, the screaming head-on collision.
3. Nightmare: A new and improved Spectre, almost completely transparent, a little faster than the Demon, but not too much, and his melee attack is stronger.
4. Hell Lord: The CyberDemon, only not Cyber-ized. The exact same height, speed, and HP of the original CyberDemon, only his attacks are demonized. He could throw giant balls of fire or lightning at you, and if you got close enough he could haul off and knock the crap out of you, knocking you back 200 or better feet.
There are probably more enemies I could come up with, but I'm out of ideas for the time being.

A RL guy? Nah, not unless his rockets were weak.

Go play ObTiC. The RL guy in that (using new, ID quality sprites) is very fun to run away from ;)

1)The Baphomet as a giant, erm, goat demon that stomps about da place.
2)'Civvie' zombies that charge towards you in droves and chew on your ears.
3)A winged demon with a deaths-had face.
4)Something similar to Clive Barker's Cenobites.

Spike said:

2)'Civvie' zombies that charge towards you in droves and chew on your ears.

Let me guess, these'd be called "Tysons"?:p

Personally, I think there could have been more cybernetic enemies. A flying Mastermind might've been interesting, and possibly a cyber-zombie...he could be the plasmagun guy :p

I just realized that there are going to be melee zombies in Doom III and there were no such thing in Doom / Doom 2. Hmm.

Some sort of liquid based creture that would form and respawn out of the waste pits and another monster that wouldn't really be an enemy, it would feed off the flesh of Demons, kinda like a Pred for Doom. :/

i'd like to see a series on the archvile if nothing else. Different types of demons would have also been spooky. And a non tech verson of the cyberdemon would also have been cool(no mecanical legs arm, stomic...) like a super baron or something.

A flying Arachnatron as has been suggested before, possibly with twin plasma cannons like the Arachnatron in Doom 64.

Maybe a hideous combined demon that is meshed with a human via cybernetics, with a medium-long range telepathic attack and a powerful melee swipe using its claw/human hand.

A hidden headless John Romero in map31 that's only purpouse is to find his head. Genious isn't it?

Remember that old Picture of the Day we had a few months ago. The caption was something like "what happens just after you beat map 30". It was a picture of the marine that looked no bigger than an ant, and an enormous demon around 50 feet tall, and his head was that of the old Icon of Sin you just destroyed. That sort of enemy would give anyone nightmares for weeks.

Devils from various mythologies, ie Baal, Beelzebub, Lucifer and so on.

Base em on mythological texts, but give em cybernetic implants to make them look more fearsome.

More beasts such as gargoyles, variations of Hell Knights and 'Pinky' Demons and other very tall huge monsters.

The only decent suggestions in here are the ones Nick stated at the top of the thread. The rest don't really keep to Doom's quite exacting feel. I also thought about a Lord of Hell. I nicknamed it the Hell Prince, or Prince of Hell. It would be dark blue upper body, no taller than a Baron but even more well-developed musculature, twice as tough as a Baron, and it's fireballs would be blue and do exactly double the damage with the same % variables as the Barons. The hands would be the same glowing blue as the blue torches.

I liked the imp idea to, maybe a Queen imp or something, heh.

And yeah a human like the chaingunner but with something like a less powerful plasma gun and at least 100 health and maybe armour like Doomguy would've been cool; if used sparingly. They could have been traitors from UAC or something..

And finally the Nightmare Spectre from PSX Doom, that would be a great addition.

Instead of traitors .. they could be they dead UAC marines (like in "Hanger" s first room / hallway that have been ressurected by an archvile or something and given a plasma rifle .. they could be all torn apart and bloody cool.

Ichor said:

Remember that old Picture of the Day we had a few months ago. The caption was something like "what happens just after you beat map 30". It was a picture of the marine that looked no bigger than an ant, and an enormous demon around 50 feet tall, and his head was that of the old Icon of Sin you just destroyed. That sort of enemy would give anyone nightmares for weeks.

Sounds interesting...I'll go back through the POTD archives (assuming they're still up) and I'll link the image to this thread if it's ok to do that.

a heresiarch.
a big cyborg with rocket launchers and chainguns.
a dude with dbl shotgun.
a demon with bfg blobs coming out of his hands.
a sausage with magical powers.
a swamp enemy.