Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CrazyDoomguy

Linedef block player

If you were mapping in Hexen format or in UDMF, "Block Players" would be available as a linedef flag. But if you are mapping in Doom format, you can't have linedefs that block players but not other things.

scifista42 said:

If you were mapping in Hexen format or in UDMF, "Block Players" would be available as a linedef flag. But if you are mapping in Doom format, you can't have linedefs that block players but not other things.

If I create it in hexen or in UDMF, will this linedef work on Zdoom?

In vanilla doom you can have linedef actions that shut doors. If you need monsters to use a path but no players, you could have a linedef action that shuts a door in the players face as he tries to get to an area you don't want him in (107 WR Door Close Stay,) and open up (106 WR Door Open Stay) as he walks away. Monsters can't activate most linedef actions so the monsters will be able to pass through without shutting the door, but you have to make sure the door opens when the player walks away, so the monsters can continue coming through.

Depending on the way your map is designed or the circumstances that you need that particular line for, this might not work for you, but it's a potential solution.

yaqxsw said:

I havent this option in my doom builder, but I need this. Which action-number it is?

The reason that you do not find this linedef flag in DOOM format is that it was added
specifically to ZDoom by Graf Zahl in Nov. 2009.

Now you have to make a choice:
Either redo your map in UDMF or Hexen format, which may or may not be feasible,
depending on how much work you have put into the map.

Or, convert your map from DOOM format to one of the advanced ZDoom formats.
To do this have a look here http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=52726

yaqxsw said:

If I create it in hexen or in UDMF, will this linedef work on Zdoom?

Given that ZDoom supports both Hexen format and UDMF - yes, sure. The respective editor config's name is even "ZDoom:Hexen" and "ZDoom:UDMF" or something along those lines.

There is a possibility to use the extended flags in Doom format, but it requires changing the flag mappings through an XLAT lump. But this is only advisable if upgrading the map format is unfeasible.

Another potential way round this in vanilla is to have a barrier such as a cage that is impassable but monsters can get 'past' it using Monster-only teleport lines.