Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paul977

Change the sky texture in map 01 slot

Basically I want to use the third episode sky texture of Doom 2 on my map 01. Is it possible with Slade 3 ?
(I did some research: this has been asked several time, I've read many threads but still can't understand how to do it step by step..)
Regards

In the past people would make their maps on MAP21-MAP32 to get the third sky they wanted. I wouldn't advise doing that, though.

You can use Slade to open up DOOM2.WAD, and export the sky image (it should be called RSKY3) to a .bmp bitmap image. Then open up your wad with Slade. You have to first create "marker" lumps to tell doom where to get it's patch graphics from. Create two new lumps, named "PP_START" and "PP_END" inside your wad file. Now import a new lump from file, and import the RSKY3.bmp image into your wad. Rename the RSKY3 lump to RSKY1 (so that "patches" over the sky from episode 1.) and move the RSKY1 lump so that it is in between PP_START and PP_END, in such a way that PP_START is on top, RSKY1 is in the middle, and PP_END is below. Then save your wad. It should work after that.

There is also a vanilla-compatible way that doesn't involve reincluding the graphic (although it involves reincluding TEXTURE1/PNAMES): Open Doom2.wad, select lumps named "TEXTURE1" and "PNAMES", copy them into your wad, double-click TEXTURE1 to open it, find texture entry named "SKY1", click its patch ("RSKY1") in the window on the right, and replace it with "RSKY3". This method would probably only be worthy if you were reincluding TEXTURE1/PNAMES into your wad anyway, for other purposes than just to replace a sky texture.

40oz said:

You can use Slade to open up DOOM2.WAD, and export the sky image (it should be called RSKY3) to a .bmp bitmap image. Then open up your wad with Slade. You have to first create "marker" lumps to tell doom where to get it's patch graphics from. Create two new lumps, named "PP_START" and "PP_END" inside your wad file. Now import a new lump from file, and import the RSKY3.bmp image into your wad. Rename the RSKY3 lump to RSKY1 (so that "patches" over the sky from episode 1.) and move the RSKY1 lump so that it is in between PP_START and PP_END, in such a way that PP_START is on top, RSKY1 is in the middle, and PP_END is below. Then save your wad. It should work after that.

Somehow I've done it, thanks. Thanks also to yaqxsw and scifista42 for the answers

Why not just rewrite the MAPINFO map01 definition and change the sky1 property to SKY3? You can get the default definitions out of zdoom.pk3 or gzdoom.pk3.

Nevander said:

Why not just rewrite the MAPINFO map01 definition and change the sky1 property to SKY3? You can get the default definitions out of zdoom.pk3 or gzdoom.pk3.

Because that only works with ZDoom compatible ports, maybe? Quite a solution if the target is something different...

Some people here seem to forget that not every map is intended to be used with ZDoom only.

Don't Boom maps allow you to use sky transfer to use essentially whatever sky you want? It sounds like a much simpler option than messing around in MAPINFO or changing the mapslot to get the proper sky.

Boom does not. MBF does. But there's nothing 'simple' about it, because the feature depends on sector tags, it is not possible to just declare one sky as the default for the entire level.

So you have to add a sky transfer for every single sector tag that is being used on a sky sector.

Graf Zahl said:

Because that only works with ZDoom compatible ports, maybe? Quite a solution if the target is something different...

Some people here seem to forget that not every map is intended to be used with ZDoom only.

He never said what port he was doing it for, so I offered up the quickest and easiest solution using the ZDoom method.