Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
droscoe

Need Help with Item Pickup Range

Item pickup range, can this be modified?

If not, then is there a line special that blocks item pickups?

I have a storage locker I've made, but every thing I put inside of it can be 'picked up' without having to open the door. Blocking flags don't do anything, do you have any suggestions? Making the storage locker bigger than the items pickup range obviously means....you can't pick up the item once you have the door open...

Please watch the 18 second YouTube clip of me testing this. I grab the item through the wall at first. (the number art is mostly placeholder, redoing the 'press event' art)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSBXQRf6EQc&feature=youtu.be

Reduce the items' radii.

Or, y'know, make it so that the storage locker is actually large enough to hold them. Since this is ZDoom-based, you shouldn't be able to do the "plasma bump" to get items you shouldn't. So in this case, the player SHOULD be able to get the items - after all, their hitboxes are, presumably, extending outside of the locker.

I edited my OP right when you replied, I think.

making the locker bigger than the item pickup range means you can't pick up the item after the door is open.

How do you alter an item's radii? I assume you mean via decorate file. I'll look into that.

If you can't grab items while the closet is opened, then you need to allow the player to go deeper into the closet.

Picking up an item is done whenever a player tries to move and collides with an item, so if the player can't move into the item's hitbox, they can't pick it up.

You just have to accept that item bumping is a phenomenon in the Doom engine and cannot be prevented in any way other than putting the items far enough from walls, above/below the player, or make them spawn only after they are supposed to be picked up.

Well shucks, I knew about item bumping from playing experience, but didn't know it had a name.

Well, I suppose I'll have to make an actual closet that the player can walk in to. It just looked a lot cooler with the Doom 3 style lockers :P

I appreciate your time.

scifista42 said:

You just have to accept that item bumping is a phenomenon in the Doom engine and cannot be prevented in any way other than putting the items far enough from walls, above/below the player, or make them spawn only after they are supposed to be picked up.

In ZDoom, it's disabled by default, only turned on if you turn the compatibility flag for it on.

Which is pretty important to note, since he's making a GZDoom mod.

Arctangent said:

In ZDoom, it's disabled by default, only turned on if you turn the compatibility flag for it on.

What?! Wow. Another ZDoom's stealthy change of default game behavior. Aren't there wads that might depend on item bumping being possible, either by the player himself or conveyor belt propelled voodoo dolls? As a player, don't you think it's fun to do deliberately? Also, which compatibility flag is the one for this? I couldn't find it.

Regardless, if the item's hitbox sticks through and out of the wall/door, the item would be picked up through the wall/door anyway (right?), so it doesn't help that much in this case.

Actually, I'm mistaken - it's only Zandronum, apparently, that has the compatibility flag for item bump, probably added for the sake of MAP01 deathmatch.

As for why it isn't in ZDoom itself, it's likely because there hasn't been a bug report of any actual maps this lack of compatibility option breaks. Though given that you can enable some pretty specific quirks of the Doom engine, compatibility options can be forcibly enabled through MAPINFO, and there's an internal lump that flat-out automatically enables compatibility options ( some of which are strictly only allowed to be enabled by said lump, due to being highly specific quirks that're likely to only be relied on for one in a billion maps ) for older maps that couldn't have guessed the changes ZDoom would make to the physics ... including some older ZDoom maps, it really is likely just a bug report of this actually being used away from getting added, plus made so that the option will automatically be enabled for that map.