Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Track most representing of Doom?

Well, it first plays during the ending text of the first Episode where it basically explains that, after all your efforts, you're now screwed and that this is no happy ending. It's slightly morbid, anyway. XD

Damn this is a hard question. So many tracks that have such a DOOM feel, from so many variations of DOOM (PC/PSX/64/3/2016).

Gonna have to do some soul searching on this. Hmmmmmm.

I would argue that D_RUNNIN is more representative of Doom 2 specifically than Doom as a whole. Doom 2 has a major tonal change from the original; it's bigger, it's louder, the spaces are more open, and the fights are more epic. It also represents some slight changes in the music; where the first game was a fairly heterogeneous mix of driving rock and ambient, the second game covers a more diverse range of styles (including salsa!) and deviates a little from Prince's traditional chord progression-heavy composition.

The long, Megadeth-style solo in D_RUNNIN would seem out of place in Doom 1; but as the opening track to Doom 2, it's perfect. (It's also a better song than At Doom's Gate.)

E1M5's "Suspense".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMex4f8cwEY

Steady, circular, engulfing, somehow desperate feel, terminated by absolution and hopelessness. Nice harmonization. Perfect. It would never work as the opening song, and I'm not sure it belongs in E1M5, but, it's ok there.

dethtoll said:

The long, Megadeth-style solo in D_RUNNIN would seem out of place in Doom 1; but as the opening track to Doom 2, it's perfect. (It's also a better song than At Doom's Gate.)

I'm partial to Healer Stalks, myself.