Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Touchdown

DOOM3 stuck on Low Settings [SOLVED]

I wanted to replay DOOM3 and RoE (retail, non-Steam / non-BFG Edition) but for whatever reason the game appears to be broken. What happens is that it is stuck on Low Settings no matter what I try (even the splash screen at the start is all blurry as hell). This is what I normally do:

- Install DOOM3
- Install RoE
- Launch DOOM3 to create DoomConfig
- Edit the DoomConfig to make it widescreen friendly (custom resolution, r_mode -1, r_aspectRatio 1)

Typically that does the trick. Actually I've just tested it on my Win7 rig and it works flawlessly. But on the current Win10 build it just refuses to cooperate. Any idea how to fix this? My best guess is that it's gotta do with the OS switch. If nothing else I can just play it on my old machine but still, would be nice to get it working on the current setup.

From my knowledge the config file is usually supposed to be named autoexec.cfg

Also you may want to try adding the following commands to the autoexec.cfg in addition to the ones which you already have:

seta image_downSizeLimit "0"
seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "0"
seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "0"
seta image_downSizeBump "0"
seta image_downSizeSpecular "0"
seta image_downSize "0"
seta image_forceDownSize "0"
seta image_roundDown "0"

Thanks a lot, that fixed it! Actually I had to zero some other settings such as texture compression to get the 'ultra' visuals but either way, it works. Too bad I got so used to 120+ fps in DOOM4 that 60 looks choppy as hell now but I'll just have to live with it.

I had a similar issue on my Windows 7 PC years ago when I tried to run Doom 3, it was all no thanks to most of those commands somehow being set to low quality despite picking Ultra ingame.