Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coopersville

Doom 3 ~flying rocket-propelled head~ Art ;)

That's not a lost soul! It's one of these flying rocket-propelled head but definitely not a lost soul - the Doom 3 lost souls are the ghostly skulls who possess the guards.

This is rather Doom 3 related, but oh well:
In the E3 presentation the lost souls slam into the guards, lifting them off their feet, making the victim reel like a drunkard. While the guard is reeling, the fiery, transparent skull slowly moves into the head of the guard - the guard's head begins to shake violently, he suddenly lets out an otherworldly yell and his own soul flies out.

The one you've drawn is a new creature, performing the role of the old lost soul: Propelling itself at the player with a high-pitched scream that'll make your blood freeze in your veins and ramming into the player, causing damage to the player's health.

But calling this head a "lost soul" is ridiculous - an evil spirit with a rocket engine in the back of its head?

Now, I'm probably bound to be misunderstood by someone, just like it happened the last time I argued against calling this critter "lost soul".

No, it's off the net now.
Wait till Doom 3's out, then you'll see what I mean.

To me, the Lost Souls are just the souls of those who have been in Hell all this time, and were released when the invasion began. Thousands of years of torment have completely destroyed their sanity. Now they float around, seeking any body that they may possess, turning that body into a wild, mindless zombie.

A cybernetic lost soul just doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of Doom, unless they call it something else.

Ichor said:

A cybernetic lost soul just doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of Doom, unless they call it something else.

Which is exactly my point.

The only way it might is if some scientists managed to capture one and experimented with it. This...thing could be the result. Not really a lost soul, and not really a machine either.

dsm said:

That's not a lost soul! It's one of these flying rocket-propelled head but definitely not a lost soul - the Doom 3 lost souls are the ghostly skulls who possess the guards.

How can you know for sure? I personally believe the lost souls in the shacky cam video are only a part of the cinematics and wont be used as real enemies in the game. Why? It's obvious the thing is an actual soul so you won't be able to shoot it with a gun, and if you can it would probably look retarded. The one he has in the pic is made of material, can be shot, and therefore can be an enemy.

I remember soo many people said 'doom III' won't be the name of the next doom, and they were getting soo pissed off when someone called it that. Well now what? it's called Doom III. Besides the lost souls in the shackycam look too plain, they're not cool enough for the enviroment. Maybe in hell they could be used in more cinematics, or to just spook the player and make him waste some ammo.

Ichor said:

Well, the pinky has mechanical legs now, I do recall carmack calling him a pinky, and I never recall him saying anything about there being two different pinkies, unless one is a spectre of course. And even then I doubt it, they're not going to make two different demons look too closely to each other. Just like the Baron and Hell knight wont only be set apart by only skin color.

orion said:
How can you know for sure? I personally believe the lost souls in the shacky cam video are only a part of the cinematics and wont be used as real enemies in the game. Why? It's obvious the thing is an actual soul so you won't be able to shoot it with a gun, and if you can it would probably look retarded. The one he has in the pic is made of material, can be shot, and therefore can be an enemy.

I remember soo many people said 'doom III' won't be the name of the next doom, and they were getting soo pissed off when someone called it that. Well now what? it's called Doom III. Besides the lost souls in the shackycam look too plain, they're not cool enough for the enviroment. Maybe in hell they could be used in more cinematics, or to just spook the player and make him waste some ammo.

I KNEW it! Someone was bound to misunderstand my comment. Orion, read my posts again - this time CAREFULLY.

I'm just saying that the flying head wont be CALLED a lost soul, but it will be "the same" enemy as in the old game, get it? The lost souls in Doom 3 will NOT be an enemy you can shoot (I never said a word about the lost souls being shootable enemies), but ghosts that will either show up only at the beginning or show up in certain situations later (maybe the new pain elemental shoots these at you).
Do you understand what I mean? Or do I need to explain further?

Well, the pinky has mechanical legs now, I do recall carmack calling him a pinky, and I never recall him saying anything about there being two different pinkies, unless one is a spectre of course. And even then I doubt it, they're not going to make two different demons look too closely to each other. Just like the Baron and Hell knight wont only be set apart by only skin color.

The pinky is something entirely different y'know.

dsm said:

I KNEW it! Someone was bound to misunderstand my comment. Orion, read my posts again - this time CAREFULLY.

I'm just saying that the flying head wont be CALLED a lost soul, but it will be "the same" enemy as in the old game, get it?

Ok, I'm reading the post again.

dsm said:

I read it, and now I'm just wondering how in hell could you expect a person to think of any other translation to your post. You specificly said 'That's not a lost soul!' and that 'the Doom 3 lost souls are the ghostly skulls who possess the guards.' And now you're trieing to make me think you said that they are indeed lost souls, but just wont have the same name? You didn't even mention the name part in that post. I didn't misunderstand anything, and I think that it's YOU who should look at YOUR post again.

You focus too damn much on the name and too much on my first post in this thread.
It can't be that hard to understand that I'm just saying that the new "lost soul" is not an evil spirit, but a biomechanical head with a rocket engine in the back of its head. And if you had had the patience to read my other replies, you'd have seen that I had explained before (for about the 666th time now) that this biomechanical head REPLACES the ROLE of the original Doom's lost souls (the role of the original lost soul being a floating head that launches itself at the player with a screech and which can be shot).

Now, all I'm saying is that Doom 3 has REAL spirits that can't be shot and that these are the conceptual translation of the old lost souls - but this head is a new enemy called something different, but which acts in a similar fashion to the old lost soul. Get it?

I can't see why you get so worked up over that.

Meh, I guess I just got a flashback of how you alweys used to act so sure of yourself when you said the transparent souls are the real lost souls and the mechanical ones are a new enemy. I would have gotten this out of my system then... except I was banned. Seeing it again just brought it all back up to my throat and then to the keyboard. Well, I'll be moving on now. =]