Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aca

Weird flashes in deth/zeth?

Anyone getting weird flashes in Deth/Zeth whenever you insert a vertex or linedef? I just got a new geforce2 so I know its not my graphics card. Could it be this shitty monitor?

and what was the old graphics card?
Old DOS programs + Windows 95 + newer video cards == teh suck (usually)

lithium` said:

Anyone getting weird flashes in Deth/Zeth whenever you insert a vertex or linedef? I just got a new geforce2 so I know its not my graphics card. Could it be this shitty monitor?

The reason for the flash in Deth/Zeth is the way it updates the screen. Every little action rewrites the WHOLE screen (esp annoying when dragging lines). So when a vertex is inserted, the whole screen gets redrawn.

The flash/flicker is caused by the method used to update the screen. Individual graphic calls draw directly to the card screen buffer vs blasting the whole composed screen at once to the screen buffer. The latter is called double buffering. Upping the refresh to 100 or more reduces the flash a bit.

Some people don't notice the flash/flicker since they get used to it, but it's there for everyone:)

deep said:

The flash/flicker is caused by the method used to update the screen. Individual graphic calls draw directly to the card screen buffer vs blasting the whole composed screen at once to the screen buffer. The latter is called double buffering. Upping the refresh to 100 or more reduces the flash a bit.

So someone should just go thru and convert everything to use page flipping. Also anyone ported deth to win32 like WinDEU?