Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kontra Kommando

Daesh [ISIS] Murders Crowd of People in France

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/07/14/dozens-dead-nice-france-after-truck-plows-into-crowd-mayor-says/87101850/

Thus far the reports say 73 are dead, 100 injured. The French police are initially investigating this as a terrorist attack.

Edit: arms and grenades found in the truck, it is surely terrorism.

EDIT 2:

80 dead, 18 critically hurt.

Edit 3:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/nice-attack-latest-prosecutors-planned-months-accomplices-france-paris-a7148841.html

Five suspects arrested in relation to the terrorist attack in Nice.

What a fucking worthless loser. Insanity, just sheer insanity.. Hopefully the residents of Nice will be able to pick up the pieces.

With the other attack still in recent memory, I wonder if France is anywhere close to some sort of declaration of war, if they can actually target something. I imagine ISIS since they're already supporting the attack, but I don't know how exactly that would pan out.

I doubt any kind of negotiations would do any good.

Another attack? Geez, when are the French gonna catch a break?

Keep this thread on topic please. This is a horrible tragedy and not the place for you to be pushing your political agendas.

I agree, now's not the time for squabbles. What we need right now is unity against this violent ideology that continues to make victims out of innocent people. Least we forget the previous Paris attack as well as the attack on the Pulse Nightclub. Unless we can stand firm against this menace, stories like these will continue to pop up.

MetroidJunkie said:

What we need right now is unity against this violent ideology that continues to make victims out of innocent people. Least we forget the previous Paris attack as well as the attack on the Pulse Nightclub. Unless we can stand firm against this menace, stories like these will continue to pop up.

This needs to be repeated:

fraggle said:

This is a horrible tragedy and not the place for you to be pushing your political agendas.

It's a political agenda to want these attacks to stop? I'm sick of turning on my Computer or TV and having to hear that yet another dozens of people are now dead. I had hoped that the belief that this ideology is deadly and should be stopped wasn't a polarizing position.

MetroidJunkie said:

It's a political agenda to want these attacks to stop? I'm sick of turning on my Computer or TV and having to hear that yet another dozens of people are now dead. I had hoped that the belief that this ideology is deadly and should be stopped wasn't a polarizing position.

Everyone here wants to see a stop to these attacks. The staff here also, however, want to see a stop to threads invariably devolving into the toxic waste that was just split out of this one.

I get where you're coming from, essel, that there are people who would take what I said and use it to justify some very toxic and hateful viewpoints but that wasn't my intention.

Also, sorry for being vague with my wording. When I'm talking about this dangerous ideology, I'm talking about ISIS specifically. My intention wasn't and isn't to demonize everyone who follows the Islamic faith.

No, we've got plenty of people here who do that already.

I think it's a fair cop to say that "religion of peace" is inherently an oxymoron but that doesn't make a majority of Muslims bad people. Most of them are just ordinary folks who just want to get through their day without being blown up (either by the West, or by terrorists in their own backyard) or being used as a scapegoat.

Terrible events. It also gives fuel to ignorant hate mongers like one of my relatives (who I won't name) who want to point the finger to the one faith or certain peoples.

I am curious what would happen if these events keep happening in France. Do a people reach a breaking point until rash decisions are made?

I know extremist Leaders would love it. Seeing some sort of pseudo religious war started by their exploitation of broken people sacrificing their lives to kill many innocents. They would love to see Nationalism occur with innocent Muslim people getting attacked or kicked out of Western countries. This would align more Muslim people to their goals. As a result, everyone would be a victim of their terrorism, whether they know it or not.

dethtoll said:

I think it's a fair cop to say that "religion of peace" is inherently an oxymoron

Wait, what are you suggesting? That all religions are inherently against peace?

What is this, a Metal Gear Solid game? You don't need to repeat what I just said.

MetroidJunkie said:

Then I think you have a profound misunderstanding of what religion is.

If you're so fucking smart, why don't you explain to the class how I'm wrong.

dethtoll said:

If you're so fucking smart, why don't you explain to the class how I'm wrong.

You can easily look it up. "The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods". How is that inherently against peace? Unless you're implying that believing in God prevents you from peace because I've experienced the exact opposite.

Pretty much every religious book is full of some pretty ridiculous stuff. If there was a world wide movement of radical Christianity it'd be pretty ridiculous to call Christianity a 'religion of peace' what with all the calls for stoning and death in the Bible.

And just to be fair so you don't think I'm picking on "poor defenseless endlessly persecuted Christians" the usual atheist "but the world would be so much better if everyone was an atheist" is equally shit. 4 of the top 5 biggest murders in human history were atheists with the 5th actively hating organized religion. Humans are perfectly capable of being outstandingly shitty to each other without religion.

dethtoll said:

That gif

That sure is a gif

Tarnsman said:

If there was a world wide movement of radical Christianity it'd be pretty ridiculous to call Christianity a 'religion of peace' what with all the calls for stoning and death in the Bible.

If they completely ignored the New Testament, including everything Jesus (Slightly important considering the entire faith is built around him) has said and done. The stoning part of the bible only applied to Israel and was fulfilled with Christ, he even prevented a woman from being stoned to death. Christianity was built around the willingness to die for our faith, not the willingness to kill for it.

Well, at least you're more fair about it and acknowledge that people being shitty to each other doesn't require a religion, religion often just gives them self-justification for it. XD

MetroidJunkie said:

If they completely ignored the New Testament, including everything Jesus (Slightly important considering the entire faith is built around him) has said and done. The stoning part of the bible only applied to Israel and was fulfilled with Christ, he even prevented a woman from being stoned to death. Christianity was built around the willingness to die for our faith, not the willingness to kill for it.

There are enough contradictory things in the Quran to make an argument that it both justifies and condemns the actions of people like ISIS. Religious extremists only care that the book has anything, regardless of the rest of the content, that justifies their actions. You can claim all you want that Christianity doesn't have that, but it does. You have plenty of hate preachers (not just the ones that every makes fun of like Westboro) that would claim the bible says different than your interpretation. Thankfully they're not a large scale military force outside the occasional rural militia. That doesn't change the fact that Christianity under the wrong circumstances could be applied just as insanely. (Hell one need only look at all the terrible things done to people with Christianity as the justification in the times of early America and Imperialism such as Slave Owners in the South using it to justify slavery or just all the crap England and France did to Africa)

Religious books are written by men and they've been changed (always laugh at how the word of God can apparently be amended) through out the years. They've still carried enough baggage from the times they were written (when things like stoning people and cutting off hands was just what we did) that some crazy assholes could use pretty much any one of them to justify some crazy shit.

Context is important, though, and actually the bible is over 95% consistent in all versions of it, only differing in very small ways such as spelling since translations aren't going to be 100% accurate. From what I understand, the bible is more consistent between its different translations than any other book in history. As for people misusing the Bible and Quran, all I have to say is look at what kind of person the religion's founder was to help you determine the faith. Jesus, while unafraid to speak his mind and even a bit aggressive (Flipping tables and all that), never harmed a person and even got upset with Peter for doing so. As for Mohammad, I won't go into that.

Of course, this subject isn't about Christianity, it's about the unfortunate attack that occurred in France.

Except, you know, nobody who wrote the bible ever met Jesus, so they basically made it all up. So there is really nothing to look at. The author of the bible is anonymous as well.

The moral of this story is Nice isn't so nice I guess. Zing.

Except Roman documents specifically mention Jesus' execution so it's kind of hard to say he didn't exist. The bones of the High Priest who sentenced him were also discovered, as were secular records pertaining specifically to Jesus. Sorry but even Atheist Scholars acknowledge the existence of him as a person. Please quit using this thread as an excuse to attack the Christian faith. The mods don't want the thread being used to attack Islam so don't use it to attack Christianity either.

Mechazawa said:

Except, you know, nobody who wrote the bible ever met Jesus, so they basically made it all up. So there is really nothing to look at. The author of the bible is anonymous as well.

The moral of this story is Nice isn't so nice I guess. Zing.

The whole Gospel was written by people who met Jesus, who was proven to have existed (see MetroidJunkie's post). The Bible also mentions each writer by name.

Religion's a two-sided coin. To me how you act with religion in mind is based on how you interpret it. That's why there are different branches of Islam and Christianity. Islam terrorists and radicals' act violently because they interpreted the Quran in a certain way. Hate preachers stir up hatred to others and Crusaders slaughtered because that's what they think/thought was right. However, religious people can also be peaceful and contributing member of society.

VonHootie02 said:

religious people can also be peaceful and contributing member of society.

You don't need religion for that. You need education and culture.

Zed said:

You don't need religion for that. You need education and culture.

Religion is part of culture and made up a huge chunk of the foundation of our culture for the majority of human history. Also plenty of non-educated people throughout history had no problem not being massive shitheads.