Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

Nintendo is releasing a new mini NES console

Mattfrie1 said:

I guess Nintendo is jumping on the nostalgia bandwagon.

Talk about a line anyone could say any given year, heh.

Anyway the thing looks um cute?

This news somehow caught me off guard.

I also like how they managed to keep the packaging just like the old one from the good ol' days!

The tiny NES can't play NES cartridges, but the reproduction Sega Genesis can play Genesis cartridges. Once again Sega does what Nintendon't

I would prefer a mini gamecube honestly.

Mr. Freeze said:

The tiny NES can't play NES cartridges, but the reproduction Sega Genesis can play Genesis cartridges.

But it has the games pre-installed so what point is there in using the original cartridges?

Mr. Freeze said:

Once again Sega does what Nintendon't

Yeah, like go bankrupt. :P

Wao, it has Super C but not classic Contra, dealbreaker 0/10 worst console.

I wouldn't pay more than 10 dollars for this honestly :V

It's like the world's most boring multicart, but it's authentic

The bootleggers had me covered on this device (except a better version) like 10 years ago but it's still a nice nod to the ol' classics.

EDIT: Holy fuckballs, they want $80 AU for this thing? Good joke

Avoozl said:

But it has the games pre-installed so what point is there in using the original cartridges?

I want more than 30 games. Repro consoles are a step forward in retro gaming, they will get people into the hobby by being affordable

I've gone through a fuckton of pirate/bootleg games for various systems over the past too many years, and that includes a myriad of different kinds of consoles with built-in games. So I guess it's no surprise that this miniature NES is underwhelming. Plus it doesn't help that Nintendo has been re-releasing many of the same games on the Virtual Console for every new system they've been coming out with.

The only thing that makes it stick out is, as Doomkid said, it being authentic. Though based on the articles, those pirates got this thing beat when it comes to features.

Avoozl said:

It doesn't come with every NES game ever released, it only includes 30. Although they might come out with some way to buy more in the future, who knows.

Mr. Freeze said:

The tiny NES can't play NES cartridges, but the reproduction Sega Genesis can play Genesis cartridges. Once again Sega does what Nintendon't

Yeah, but those consoles were made by Atpunk, not Sega, and they were also pretty cheaply made. I have one and I haven't played it in a while but I remember the music was lower-pitched than it should be and the games were also darker than usual. To be fair though Nintendo also has a pretty notorious issue of darkening their games on Virtual Console.

I see a lot of people complaining about this, saying stuff like "only 30 games? what a piece of trash" or "i could make something better than this with a raspberry pi"

And while you may not be entirely wrong, you're missing the point. This thing isn't being made for people who've been playing games for 20+ years. It's not being made for serious retro gamers who already own an NES and all the well-known titles for it. It's being made to appeal to people who played NES as a kid and never moved on from that. It's being made for people who too easily buy into their nostalgia. It's being made for people who think playing Pokemon Blue once makes them some sort of hardcore retro gamer. I hate to sound negative but this thing is obviously being made to appeal to hipsters and older people who don't know any better.

I mean, come on, if they were trying to sell the NES Mini to retro gamers, they wouldn't have made it an emulation box. They would have used real NES hardware. Either that or they would have included a lot more features than just save states and 30 pre-installed games. The fact that it only comes with 30 of the most common NES games ever and, as far as we know, there's no way to add any more makes it blatantly obvious they're trying to cash in on less game-savvy people. Nintendo has been catering to the casual gamer/family audience since the Wii came out. Every once in a while they might throw more serious gamers a bone but this is not one of those times.

Also, I really wish there was a term we could use in place of "gamer." I cringe every time I have to type that out. Same goes for "hipster," I hate using that word, but I couldn't think of a better one.

Doomkid said:

EDIT: Holy fuckballs, they want $80 AU for this thing? Good joke

I wouldn't pay over 30 for what's essentially a shelf piece and a glorified emulator box. Come on, Nintendo. Jeez.

This is pretty lame, honestly. They really should be promoting the Virtual Console instead. Hell, what about having the Virtual Console for Android and iOS?

I'm honestly quite interested in this.

No thanks, I still got my NES and it works great .
(Nothing special about it, It won't connect internet or get any new titles) .

And once again, in some countries, it doesnt come with the power adaptor

Whole thing is useless really, same olf high-profile games that get rereleased all the time on digital download services, while forgotten games or licensed games forever remain lost. Emulation will always do things better, this seems to just be for the non-tech savvy types looking to relive some memories

Sodaholic said:

This is pretty lame, honestly. They really should be promoting the Virtual Console instead. Hell, what about having the Virtual Console for Android and iOS?

Sounds like you were born in the wrong decade, son.

I cant wait till someone figures out how to load roms on it. Does it have an hdmi port?

MrGlide said:

I cant wait till someone figures out how to load roms on it. Does it have an hdmi port?

Ya

HavoX said:

Sounds like you were born in the wrong decade, son.

I was born in 93, is that too late? I don't think an emulation based NES rerelease is a bad idea at all, but it really would've been nice had they included a cartridge slot. Without it, it's little more than a novelty item.

Sodaholic said:

I was born in 93, is that too late?

'fraid so... the NES was still popular, but not as popular as the SNES and Genesis... and Wolf3D! ;)

First of all, saying a new NES console that plays the classic NES games sucks because you can pirate them for free is a ridiculous argument.

That said, Nintendo is a weird company. Everything they make seems to be a tremendous risk and is either an amazing hit or a flop and they seem like they don't do any research on current trends. My Nintendo Wii was one of the best Nintendo purchases I've ever made, which is tough to say because every game I ever bought for it had pretty much no replay value save for new super mario brothers and house of the dead 2, both inherently remakes of classics. I got my money's worth from it by using it as a netflix box. (especially because I bought a refurbished one in a black friday sale for $30.00) This particular thing seems really weird. I've seen modern versions of Sega Genesis and Atari consoles come packaged with 90% of the hit classics already inside + the ability to run the original cartridges that you can buy in local retailers for pretty affordable prices. I don't know if I've seen a nintendo or super nintendo version, and this is probably why.

Forgive me for not really taking the time to do much research so what I'm saying may be irrelevant, but rereleasing a console for the purpose of giving people a physical medium to play old classics again seems kinda lame. In a market where consoles have basically become multi-purpose home media centers with their own operating systems that happens to be operated with a two-handed controller and can play video games on the side, it seems like a huge missed opportunity to take gaming back to its roots.

There are plenty indie games with booming fanbases that ride on the coat tails of the niche of classic/retro games with vintage grainy sounds and pixelated graphics. Stuff like Retro City Rampage, Hotline Miami, Super Meat Boy, even Minecraft. These games are played on powerful PC's and nextgen consoles which, to me, seems like untapped potential. What a console like this needs to be is a machine with memory and a strong (enough) processor to support fast and efficient engines with high frame rates, while limited to 8-bit or 16-bit graphics and audio, creating system restraints that developers would enjoy working within. So instead of rereleasing "classics," pump out a bunch of new games that appear as though you may have been able to play them back in 1984 had they even existed. It would be like going back in a time machine except you don't have to deal with the hassle of blowing into cartridges, games freezing, breaking, or having to remember passwords or any of that annoying shit. And the games would be able to utilize the best features of 30 years of modern game design evolution in their new old games.

If they learned anything from Super Mario Maker, developer kits would be nice for wannabe programmers to design new games by themselves without having to be too concerned with competing with the superior graphics of the modern video game market, and instead seek to push the barriers of limits they are given through imaginative innovation.

Meh. $60 is too expensive for what is nothing but a gadget.

Im literally the guy with the beard, except Nintendo 64 ROMs for me.

$60 seems a bit too pricey if you ask me.

Why cant Sega make a mini Genesis console? I prefer Sega Genesis over NES.

Nintendo really overestimates the value of their own games, in my opinion. When you can buy an Xbox 360 era game from Steam for the same price as Nintendo charges for a NES game, something's off here.

Wow that comic was cringeworthy.

Nintendo is hopelessly stuck in the past. I don't think they're ever going to wake up; they're just going to dig in their heels and whine "our customers are confused about what our product is" when people don't buy their next previous-gen console.

Interesting. I wonder if the controller is an accurate reproduction of the original. The port looks kinda the same, to my untrained eyes. It's a bit of a shame they didn't do one of either make it a wireless controller for convenience, or use USB (and as a side-effect you could buy an official Nintendo replica USB gamepad for use on other systems as as side-effect).

The very-niche 8bitdo Retro Receiver is now several notches less niche I guess! http://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-nes/

BTW, how much does a regular NES system cost now, including handpicked game cartridges?

Voros said:

BTW, how much does a regular NES system cost now, including handpicked game cartridges?

A fortune and a half.

Mostly because of the collector's value. Something being currently mass produced commercially is going to be worth far less than something that you can ONLY find on eBay because then eBay goers decide the price. It's sort of like a legalized Monopoly.