Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Nintendo NX discussion

What are your thoughts of their upcoming console? Personally, I'm skeptical.

During a recent interview with Reggie, he trotted out the same old tired line of "it's about the games, not the hardware". That's all fine and dandy for first party games, but weaker hardware is not going to cut it for AAA 3rd party games. With the likes of Scorpio and Neo in the works, I'm worried that Nintendo will once again be a generation behind in horsepower and be abandoned by 3rd parties yet again.

I wish the best for Nintendo, but I hope that they're willing to become 3rd party and not go completely under if things don't work out for them this time around.

Though not directly related to the NX, here are my thoughts on the two Wii consoles:

I consider the Wii to have been more of a negative thing for Nintendo than a positive. Sure, it was financially successful at first due to an (at the time) appealing gimmick and aggressive marketing, but it's what put them in the situation where 3rd parties don't take them seriously. Sure, the N64 and Gamecube were like that to an extent, but not nearly as badly as the Wii and Wii U.

They really fucked up on the Wii U's marketing. The name was unclear to average consumers (many thought it to be a tablet controller for the original Wii), and they almost barely advertised it. With the Wii, you couldn't walk two feet without seeing an ad for it. With the Wii U, you had to hear news about them making an ad and then seek it out yourself. That's not how advertising is meant to work.

I like how adement nintendos been about backwards compatability. I feel like I should buy the nx if it provides this for virtual console alone, and of course smash bros.

MrGlide said:

I like how adement nintendos been about backwards compatability.

They're not perfect on that front. The Wii U was perfectly capable of running Gamecube games, but for whatever reason they chose not to support it. The Wii U supported Wii games, and the Wii was quite literally a reskinned Gamecube for the most part.

The original DS supported GBA games, but subsequent revisions dropped that feature.

MrGlide said:

I feel like I should buy the nx if it provides this for virtual console alone, and of course smash bros.

They would be fools not to include the VC on the NX. While I think they've been quite foolish over the last decade, I don't believe that they're that foolish.

Nintendo's problem with third party support isn't just a lack of hardware. Nobody's buying third party titles on the systems, probably because they can just get superior versions on other consoles. If they sold like hotcakes on the system, third parties would have a justifiable reason to water them down to Nintendo levels but that's just not what's happening here.

Aside from the hardware, one thing Nintendo desperately needs to do is loosen up their rules concerning their community because they're chasing their own fans away. They can start by letting Let's Players keep all of the revenue because they're neglecting a very powerful market that gives them free advertising.

MetroidJunkie said:

Nintendo's problem with third party support isn't just a lack of hardware. Nobody's buying third party titles on the systems, probably because they can just get superior versions on other consoles.

I'd say the latter is the exact same reason as the former. The other versions are superior precisely because of better hardware.

Comparable hardware power is what Nintendo needs to stay competitive. They're pushing themselves into their own corner, where only the most hardcore fans are willing to buy Nintendo's hardware for the 1st party exclusives.

MetroidJunkie said:

Aside from the hardware, one thing Nintendo desperately needs to do is loosen up their rules concerning their community because they're chasing their own fans away.

I'm in total agreement. They really need to go with the flow of modern trends, not against.

At the very least, Nintendo could provide a hardware incentive to get people to play on their system like having a superior control scheme for certain games than what dual analog can provide. They could always just work with Third Party companies to provide exclusive content on their version of certain games, I recall an NBA game that released in the Ps2/Gamecube/Xbox era that had Mario characters exclusively in the Gamecube version. Heck, since Nintendo's the only one that said yes to funding Bayonetta 2, it's exclusively on the Wii U so Bayonetta fans need to have Nintendo's system if they want to get their fix.

One thing that annoyed me about their tendencies is they struck down a fan who made a remake of the Original Zelda to celebrate the Anniversary. Are they really that greedy? I understand wanting to protect the IP but he was trying to honor a game series that he clearly loves. If Nintendo's that threatened by the superior graphical quality of his remake, why not offer to sell the game on their own stores and give this guy a cut of the profit? Then Nintendo makes money for doing next to nothing (Save for maybe making sure the game works on their system and hosting it) and the creator gets a little money for his troubles too. Win-win.