Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deadwolves

Old games that should be remade

So I was thinking at work today, what are your thoughts about old games from your generation that you'd like to see remade? Whether they're handheld, DOS or console games, anything that you think would be interesting.

Here's what I think:

Afterlife

Old Lucasarts sim, kind of like Sim City except you build Heaven and Hell. Doesn't take itself seriously and very quirky about itself (think of Terry Pratchet) but interesting ideas about resource management.

Super Probotector

Some games are more about the protagonist. This game is 100% all about the enemies. They are as creative as they are endless. You and a helicopter on a ruined earth versus hordes of surreal aliens, robots, improbable alien-robots, whatever the hell they are. Huge enemies, massive explosions, and amazing boss fights.

Hardwar

Interesting flight sim in which you play as a lone pilot on an abandoned moon base. Society has turned corrupt and you trade, scavenge, and fight your way out. Really great game and would probably have had a cult following like original Doom if the source code had ever been released, a massive shame that it never was.

SimAnt, where the goal is to build an ant colony, defeat the red ants and take over the garden, then invade the house and kick out the human owners.

Blake Stone: AOG

Gargoyles Quest

Commander Keen

Jazz Jackra.... well, lets not get carried away.

I'd like to see the original Blood get a proper working port with major bug fixes and optional extra eye candy, much like Strife Veteran Edition. I then would like to see either a proper Blood 3 or Blood Remake. It would be cool to see a fuller story behind Caleb. Start him off before his cult days where he was just a rowdy criminal gunslinger, then show him finding his wife, Ophelia, in the burned ruins of her home. After which she introduces him to the cult that would end up betraying him and her.

Make the combat feel thrilling and alive. Gore, glass bottles, dust clouds, a nice physics engine. Imagine popping down cultists one after the other with a single action revolver, or blowing a gargoyles head clean off with a double barrel shotgun. Setting a cultist on fire with the flare gun and looking on in awe as they run around screaming. Just like I did as a kid when I first played Blood. Such a wickedly dark fucked up game! Don't skip out on the humor though, we need lots of horror refs and witty dialogue from the one and only Stephan Weyte.

Speaking of Monolith games, I think the first F.E.A.R. deserves at least some tuning up. Fix the annoying Logitech bug, maybe fix up any other bugs, fix the small subtitles, maybe spruce up the lighting and textures a little bit?

Blake Stone would be cool to see remade, since it basically feels like a cheesy British sci-fi b-movie. How many games with that theme do you see? NOLF comes the closest probably, just lacking the sci-fi part.

Other than that, I would say Dungeon Keeper but I hear War of the Overlord fixed that. So I'll just say Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn and Tiberian Sun in a newer engine would be almost a dream come true.

Unreal 1 remade in UE4, would die happier if it ever happened.

Proper port of Blood 1 ditto, with extra optional features to make it nicer.

PowerSlave and Blake Stone either revitalized in a similar fashion to ROTT '13 (minus lack of polish) or even almost entirely reinvented like Shadow Warrior '13 would be pretty dope as they are underrated.

I'd like to see Red Faction rebooted, I like the original setting and story, but if it had fuller, more realized destruction, gory and flashy combat, and Mick Gordon on the soundtrack, it'd be a helluva return to form. A darker tone with some good humor here and there.

And I'd also love to see Diablo 1 remastered.

Cyanosis said:

Unreal 1 remade in UE4, would die happier if it ever happened.

I just started playing Unreal Gold yesterday for the first time. Really loving the environments, weapons, pacing, and enemy behaviour. Leaving everything else in the game intact, I'd be all over a UE4 graphical upgrade like a fat man at a buffet.

Wow, Hardwar sounds interesting.

Road Rash 2

California Speed, a Sprint racing game.

F-22 Interceptor

Ajora said:

I just started playing Unreal Gold yesterday for the first time. Really loving the environments, weapons, pacing, and enemy behaviour. Leaving everything else in the game intact, I'd be all over a UE4 graphical upgrade like a fat man at a buffet.

It's a beautiful journey through one of the coolest alien worlds I've seen in a game. Funny story, I actually avoided the single player for a very long time because I thought it was boring when I was younger! I was captivated by the game's Bot Match and didn't have UT yet so I had more fun with that. It wasn't until much later on I decided to give it another go and on Hard. And oh boy, I did not regret that experience.

Hopefully we see something with the original Quake. They already have the basis with DOOM '16.

It would have been cool to see Interceptor's Duke 3D remake. I wonder if that possibility is dead in the water?

Wargasm: http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/wargasm

Half RTS Half Action-Sim. Explosions. Gunfire. Classical Music. This on a modern engine with expanded mechanics and more classical music would be pretty cool to see.

Voros said:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/300380/

Is that a Road Rash clone?

I know another clone : Jacked (PS2)

Unfortunately, i cant find the store link to the PC version, and i have the PC version on a CD.

Sword Master, a highly difficult platformer for the NES.

Holy Diver, another NES Platformer, not as difficult as Sword Master imo.

Brave Fencer Musashi, i sank like 400 hours into this game.

I'd love to see these 3 remade, specially Sword Master and Holy Diver which could work with a Dark Souls-styled reboot.

I would like to see Zax: The Alien Hunter remade or at least just remastered with more resolution selections.

Rush 2 for N64 and Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 for PC. Both of these games are fantastic, I'd love to see these games with updated graphics, but keeping the gameplay identical. That would be awesome.

How about Jill of the Jungle? It seems to be a game held in high regard, imagine a 2.5-D remake with full 3D graphics. Or even just souped up 2D graphics. That game is one of the staples of my childhood.

Doomkid said:

Rush 2 for N64 and Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 for PC. Both of these games are fantastic, I'd love to see these games with updated graphics, but keeping the gameplay identical. That would be awesome.

Rush 2 USA, right? That was amazing! Too bad Midway is dead now.

I'd LOVE to see Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime remade/remastered/updated.

Oh, just thinking about brings me tears of joy! I can never forget that epic boss battle!

Just to explain whats going on in the screenshots: the first shot is showing a tank battle, the very beginning part of the battle
The second shot shows that my (blue one) tabk has lost all HP, and is now vulnerable. One of my crewmen is in the enemy tank, and another is about to enter. The yellow heart you see, shows that its unguarded. Once the enemy leaves his tank to enter mine, he races to the heart and hit it, thus i will lose. He could achieve this by either walking all the way to my tank, or shoot himself from his tank to enter mine.

In alphabetical order:

Blackthorne

Bushido Blade

PowerSlave (console version)

Warhawk

+1 to Sim Ant.

Also;

Crusader: No Remorse
Battle zone
Blood
Gladius
Deathrow
Giants: Citizen Kabuto

-Super Mario 64, if Nintendo doesn't just use the same graphics like the 3DS port of Majora's Mask.

-Someone else said Unreal 1 on UE4. I would pay so much for that if it's done correctly.

-Not a big fan of the original game or Bond, but there should definitely be a Goldeneye remake.

-Doom 64 and a Quake 2 remake on idTech6 (Quake 1 would be better with a full reboot).

Heretic!!

While I loved Unreal a lot, I think another sequel would be better (in the vein of the original with a silent protaganist) since I want to see them expand the universe and include some of the lore the first Unreal Tournament added, it'd be really cool to include stand off against the Necris into the stranded scenario of the original where you fight not with the purpose to decimate a particular race into extinction but for your survival... where you have to overcome obstacles to find a way off an alien planet with temples, Nali, Skaarj and stuff... and maybe have to hijack a Necris ship. Damn the Unreal universe is cool. :P

The problem for me is that Unreal 2 kind of sucked, the "story" of Unreal Tournement 3 felt tacked on, and the main protagonist of both was an unlikeable douche in both. I'd die happy if there was a sequel that did it "right".