Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gez

Military coup in Turkey?

You're a weak armchair terrorist if you haven't done even the most cursory research into the matter before you declared it'd be super-easy to nuke the US. Here, do some interesting reading. Skip to page 10 if you're pressed for time.

Basically, the idea is to prevent such a ground search in the first place. The US screens all cargo for radioactivity and installs portal monitors for the traffic on the US-Mexico border. This allows more detailed screening that puts a big obstacle to smuggling fissionable material and pretty much rules out sneaking in an assembled nuke. The first link also describes that assembling the nuke Stateside would require certain unique technology that would raise immediate attention by itself, so you can potentially trace a nuke by looking for the tools. So you're left with the dirty bomb option, but that has a big downside of requiring much more fissionable material, so your "mark" grows.

To look for the material that's already Stateside, the gubment would distribute detection pagers to policemen, firemen, etc and deploy portal monitors on the roads. The document says this was already done after 9/11. The tech is not expensive, hospitals use it and other even cheaper measures (like dosimeters) all the time to avoid accidental contamination. You don't conduct a search with a single device, you just confirm the presence of radiation, then start narrowing it down. I assume the risk with such a cheap, large-scale "safety net" is that it produces a lot of false positives from benign or natural sources of radioactivity, so it's unwieldy for every day global prevention. However it's definitely the way to go if you're already in a state of emergency and searching for a bomb.

When your army of cheap live detectors starts beeping more in an area with heightened radioactivity, you employ the more expensive, more precise detectors that can detect ground zero. I'm pretty convinced it would involve flying drones in this day and age. Also these guys would want to use laser scanning for it.

Basically your nuclear terrorists would have to stay below the radar the entire time from acquiring the material to planting the bomb in a chain of events where every step is high-risk. Hell, maybe even issuing threats while sitting on an armed nuke may not be a good idea, because the government might decide it's for the greater good to bomb a street block to save the city. And that's why the news are full of quickly radicalized lone wolves with AKs, nail bombs and trucks, not nuclear scientists dual-classed to jihadists.

Time for a minor update on the situation in Turkey-

Russian media continues to hint at a move away from NATO. The numbers of people caught in the anti coup round up continues to spiral upward, while Erdogan speaks of bringing back the death penalty.

EDIT:
fixing some touch-screenisms

I came here to see people's thoughts on the human rights violations in Turkey. Somewhere along the line, it turned into theorizing about ISIS smuggling a nuke.

Anyways, I feel like it's really just incredibly hard to comprehend this level of atrocity, especially with the information coming out about the torture on the prisoners. It's absolutely disgusting, false flag or not.

But honestly, it's a complex situation and I really don't know enough about it.