Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
baja blast rd.

The Official 'Recommend a Demo' Thread

Is there a demo that you enjoyed or found quirky and want more people to watch? Link to it here and tell us what makes it so good or noteworthy, like j4rio did in this thread, for instance.

(Feel free to recommend your own runs, but at least mix in some other people's stuff too instead of using the thread as a "Pimp My DSDA" sort of thing. :P)

Anyway, I'll post some recs when I think of them.

First of all, I'd like to state that I enjoy nearly everything and that sometimes I like non-perfect demos over perfect ones... I also don't take notes and tend to forget some runs... anyway:

doom e3m8 tyson 1:28 by Joe Abene
You know, Compet-N records have Radek Pecka, Xit Vono, Anders Johnsen names repeated all over the place. Some names are only listed once, twice, few times, which I find interesting. Steffen "Rini" Udluft has one demo, he's from the oldest generation of speedrunners and filled in one of the last "optimal" times available, E3M6 NM Speed in 0:06. We have Jonathan Rimmer doing E1M1 UV Max, very ugly according to himself, Jan "Doomgeek" Vida with Doom2 Episode 3 NM100 record... and [RIP] Joe Abene with two records if I remember, including this ultra-lucky pistol run.

2002ado e2m4 UV Max 9:52 by stx-Vile
Kind of inefficient, slower than two other runs, one must note that Krypto has a ZDoom demo which kills all lost souls and is faster. But it's a typical highly enjoyable Vile smooth run, with moments like 0:39, punching distracted Baron which almost retaliates, 0:55 collecting shotguns while shooting in a superb smooth manner and a triple sergeant kill at 3:15.

Plutonia reality Speed and MMH 0:37 by kunkun
Recorded by coincidence as a part of "D2ALL" runs, this is one of the luckiest demos ever recorded as he's not hit even once.

Kristian Ronge's assisted run
which finishes both E1M1 of Doom and MAP01 of Doom2. The link is dead, so this one is attached below. This one inspired me to make a DemWAD01 map later.

e1m1lv01.zip

I really recommend Yousuf Anik's AR08-948 -- outstandingly aggressive, precise, stylish fighting from beginning to end. It's certainly a lot stronger (harder to beat) than most Compet-N/DSDA records of similar length (even though I don't find sub-9 too difficult with some ammo management tweaks and even more aggression, more monster-skipping in a few parts).

Also, Veinen did a great job of bringing the Hellbound UV Max records to a more modern standard.

Graim's Doom2 map02 nomo. It has couple very crude mistakes (easy to fix), but he still made it in 25.91. He used SR50 in a surprisingly good success in such tight corridors. It would have been 24s without the obvious mistakes but it looks like he was a bit lazy(?).

SAV88 said:

I really recommend Yousuf Anik's AR08-948 -- outstandingly aggressive, precise, stylish fighting from beginning to end. It's certainly a lot stronger (harder to beat) than most Compet-N/DSDA records of similar length (even though I don't find sub-9 too difficult with some ammo management tweaks and even more aggression, more monster-skipping in a few parts).

This one is ... O_o

Keep it up Yousuf, you should be widely known as an elite player eventually. :)