Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MancubusBruiser1988

Tag/slopes problem

I am trying to have slopes that are above the same section as another lower slop that is tagged but every time I do this the upper newer slope cuts out the other previous lower (or higher) slope... Trying to build with two tagged things in the exact same area (multiple stories) doesn't work.. Ideas??

I don't map for zDoom, but I know UDMF allows for sectors to share multiple tags. Maybe consider switching formats to that, just be extremly careful if you do attempt to switch formats on a map in progress.

So you want not just a regular sloped sector, but a sloped 3D floor? Sloped 3D floors only properly display in ports with an OpenGL renderer (GZDoom, Zandronum - both also have a software rendering mode, though). They will be invisible in software renderer. Their physics will still work as expected, though.

MancubusBruiser1988 said:

I am trying to have slopes that are above the same section as another lower slop that is tagged but every time I do this the upper newer slope cuts out the other previous lower (or higher) slope... Trying to build with two tagged things in the exact same area (multiple stories) doesn't work.. Ideas??

I don't know if this works in hexen format but have you tried just having multiple copies of the control sector?

In udmf if I want to have multi-story sectors I just copy one control sector multiple times and adjust their height.

Is this what you want (this is in gzdoom:hexen)?

Spoiler

Yeah that's what I want to do as in having tagged sloped above each other but the top slope will be horizontal to the bottom one...
Trying to make a multi level slope stairwell style leading upwards.

Look at map 03? Of my castleveinyeah wad.you need as many control sectors as you want stories. Say you have six slopes on top of each other. You want six control sector's linedefs all tagged the same. Go into the void and raise them to different levels.

The important part is to tag them the same.

Edit: for clarity.

Have several control sectors outside the map's bounds. These control sectors should be untagged. Make each of the control sectors sloped, however much you want, by any method you want (parallelness to the bottom-most slope would have to be ensured "manually" for each slope separately). Have each of the control sectors contain a linedef with Sector_Set3DFloor action, all affecting the same target sector (with a given tag) within the map. Make sure that the control sector is placed "parallel-ly" (in regards to the slope's direction) to the target sector in the map, and at an appropriate height. Finally, make sure that you are playing in a port with OpenGL rendering enabled.

I'm not sure if I'm doing this wrong or it's not working.. All I need is one more slope, and this slope will be above a lower one but facing sideways to it like an x.
Tagging 2 slopes the same number affects them both. no matter what I do the lower one gets affected.

Here is an example map, featuring 2 sloped 3D floors above a regular slope. Look at it in a map editor to see how it's done.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't notice/understand what you meant by "facing sideways to it like an x", so my example won't really help you.

To make slopes cross without fuss you need to use UDMF, which allows multiple tags for one sector.

In Hexen format, it is easy enough to make the wings of the slopes, tags 101 and 102, but the center sector then needs a lot of fiddling with to adjust the heights correctly, never mind sloping the center sector.

[edit]
should you want to map using UDMF and include a lot of multiple 3D sectors in your map, then you might want to consider the ThreeDFloorMode plugin for GZDoom Builder

^ Even in Hexen format, the middle sector could have its own tag, and each of the control sectors for each of the 2 sloped 3D floors could contain 2 Sector_Set3DFloor linedefs, one with the tag of the sector corresponding to one | segment of the X, and one with the middle sector's tag, so the middle sector could contain 2 slopes above each other, each naturally joining its counterpart from the surrounding sector (the | segments of the X).

That said, UDMF is universally better than Hexen format, so switch to that format would be preferable.

Kappes Buur said:

To make slopes cross without fuss you need to use UDMF, which allows multiple tags for one sector.

I just figured how to do that because of you. Thanks! That's very helpful.