Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Potatoguy

Traditions, Superstitions, Omen, and the like

I believe it is also common for Japanese to refuse politely once or twice. It might have originated with the Chinese but I think a few different ethnicities practice this

Quast said:

I may be off base, but isn't refusing gifts a certain number of times before accepting them some kind of weird yet common chinese cultural behavior?

How many times? A dozen or so seems like far too many. All the things they treated us to reminded me of fables from antiquity about showing hospitality to guests lest they turn out to be gods.

My dad seems fairly wary of anything considered occult, which is odd because he also seems to be rather interested in it. Like, he hates Ouija boards. A bunch of people have told me those things are wack, even some Wiccans. Can't say I have much faith, and rather the effects of the boards are more like paranoid feelings derived from the expectations of something bad happening.

Of course, the only one I tried to use required AA Batteries and had a Hasbro sticker on it, so maybe I just wasn't flirting with the real deal. Shrugs

Otherwise, I can't recall to many superstitions of my own. I don't think I really follow any, personally. If I do then it's so ingrained that I don't even realize it.

Quast said:

I may be off base, but isn't refusing gifts a certain number of times before accepting them some kind of weird yet common chinese cultural behavior?

Italians do this as well. Usually the person who is offering the gift must insist.

If someone is very eager to accept a gift, they are usually refereed to as a "cafone". Which translates to "uncouth person" or "low-life".

Clonehunter said:

My dad seems fairly wary of anything considered occult, which is odd because he also seems to be rather interested in it. Like, he hates Ouija boards. A bunch of people have told me those things are wack, even some Wiccans. Can't say I have much faith, and rather the effects of the boards are more like paranoid feelings derived from the expectations of something bad happening.

Of course, the only one I tried to use required AA Batteries and had a Hasbro sticker on it, so maybe I just wasn't flirting with the real deal. Shrugs

Otherwise, I can't recall to many superstitions of my own. I don't think I really follow any, personally. If I do then it's so ingrained that I don't even realize it.

Ouija boards are one of the biggest scams on this Earth. Penn & Teller did a good episode of Bullshit! on them.

My family is not superstitious at all. The closest thing that I can think of would be something my older brother always says. "Garbage in, garbage out." He said that to me years ago when I was listening to some music he didn't like (some kind of metal). My argument was, "If that's so, why do I still go to church and discuss the gospel with people instead of whatever (band) is singing about?"

He hasn't brought it up since then, but that's all I can think of.

Potatoguy said:

DEFINITELY NOT. I just wanted basic ones like punching someone when a punch buggy passes, or "quncinerras"!

The Quinceañera is a milestone in the hispanic community. I attended my first one a few months ago at the request of my girlfriend. At first I thought the idea of going nuts over a girls fifteenth birthday was kind of silly. But when I got there I realized it was nothing more than a celebration of the first fifteen years of their lives. The party is full of a whole bunch of different foods, drinks, and memories. I didn't even know the girl or her family at the one I went to, but the emotions in the room were running deep and you could feel it. Most of the night was eating and hanging out, followed by dancing and a speech from the father about his daughter. It was really a touching ceremony.

MetroidJunkie said:

Can we just go ahead and leave major modern world religions out of this discussion? That wasn't the intention behind this anyway.

Depending on your beliefs, what is being discussed *is* religion.

The energy you project and are willing to receive dictates the outcome of your circle of influence. If you project evil, or provide it a space to exist, it will exist, and affect you and those around you. And if you project good and resist evil, you positively affect the area around you. This is a power that all beings have, if they choose to believe in it. If that's not religion, I don't know what is.

It's the belief in a superstition that gives it power. It's something that people understood long ago, but it's practically lost knowledge today, in this evil age of 'do what thou wilt', where everyone is their own demigod, without a perceived responsibility for their actions. The forces are there whether you choose to believe in them or not. Step easy, and respect those elders - they've seen more, done more, and they've talked to their elders.

for many years my mom has wasted a lot of money in all sorts quack medicine, including homeopathy. she would always atribute any healing to jesus first and then to the quack medicine, even tho we were taking conventional medicine at the same time. she is now convinced she can heal things by placing two magnets she got from a steering wheel on different presure points of the body

raymoohawk said:

for many years my mom has wasted a lot of money in all sorts quack medicine, including homeopathy. she would always atribute any healing to jesus first and then to the quack medicine, even tho we were taking conventional medicine at the same time. she is now convinced she can heal things by placing two magnets she got from a steering wheel on different presure points of the body

Your mom should have come to see me. I have experience with medical herbs (As in: "stuff" that works).

Clonehunter said:

Like, he hates Ouija boards. A bunch of people have told me those things are wack, even some Wiccans. Can't say I have much faith, and rather the effects of the boards are more like paranoid feelings derived from the expectations of something bad happening.

Ouija boards are made by Hasbro now, pick one up at your local toy shop of choice.

They are ridiculous. If anyone says otherwise I would stay far away from them, because they think a piece of wood with letters, and another piece of wood with a lens can summon ghosts and demons. If you ever thought a Quija board was summoning a demon or ghost, you had some dick friends moving the piece around the board saying it wasn't them.

Jello said:

If you ever thought a Quija board was summoning a demon or ghost, you had some dick friends moving the piece around the board saying it wasn't them.

Who knows?

You shouldn't dismiss spirits as nonsense, though. You can't be sure unless you've seen for yourself.

I've been through enough paralyzing dreams, fever dreams, lucid hallucinations, dreams within a dream, within a dream. Struggling to wake up, to find myself in the same dream, over and over again. And over again.

It's all nonsense, it's an overactive brain coupled with the opening of the eyes, you're imposing fantasy over the waking world. The human mind is extremely powerful, it can create strange worlds and creatures, a composite of all your lifes experiences up to that point, and if your eyes are open when it happens, it's scary. But nothing more than the creation of a vivid imagination when your REM cycle is interrupted and you open your eyes during sleep.

Imagine it like Pokemon Go, except instead of Pokemon on your phone, it's the ghost of someone you couldn't save flying inside your body.

Sure Bowb said:

Who knows?

You shouldn't dismiss spirits as nonsense, though. You can't be sure unless you've seen for yourself.

Yes, we can be pretty sure. In a world bristling with cameras and sensors nothing shows any effect that isn't natural. The only consistency among tales of spiritual people is they repeat shit they've heard about before. The only thing you can determine by seeing for yourself is that your brain thinks you saw something. Real evidence is reproducible.

EDIT: Got ninja'd and added the quote.

Sure Bowb said:

EDIT: *badumm-tss*

I've seen that coming... Believe me, it *really does get old, but if it makes others smile, I'm OK with it. :-)

Wait, there's actually a religious thing called Mambo? I genuinely had no idea. Googling "mambo" just gives me a bunch of cafes, the aforementioned song and information about Cuban dance styles from the 1940's. I'm curious what the Mambo you're referring to is?

Sorry, I disagree with both of you.

You're welcome to consider me crazy/stupid/looney/whatever. Spirits exist, and they have an influence.

Yeah, now you're gonna say "it's all in my head, not real at all", and still I will disagree.

You're free to fire up you search engine of choice to try to convince me that I'm wrong, but you won't succeed.

Why did you come here in the first place? What was your intent? Pointing your fingers at people who openly speak their minds, and dismiss them as nonsense? Was that it?

Doomkid said:

Wait, there's actually a religious thing called Mambo? I genuinely had no idea. Googling "mambo" just gives me a bunch of cafes, the aforementioned song and information about Cuban dance styles from the 1940's. I'm curious what the Mambo you're referring to is?

Check your PMs :-)

Sure Bowb said:

You're welcome to consider me crazy/stupid/looney/whatever. Spirits exist, and they have an influence.

Yeah, now you're gonna say "it's all in my head, not real at all", and still I will disagree.

You're free to fire up you search engine of choice to try to convince me that I'm wrong, but you won't succeed.

Why did you come here in the first place? What was your intent? Pointing your fingers at people who openly speak their minds, and dismiss them as nonsense? Was that it?

Check your PMs :-)

Not at all, I would love proof. There's plenty of research out there that debunks paranormal activity, but I would love to see some proof towards the existence. I live in a family with people who think they have a paranormal connection, and they seem dead set on it. But they also have a family history of schizophrenia.

They've all lived in and slept in an old house dating to the 1890's, and have said they've seen ghosts in it. I slept in the same house from the ages of 4-9, and had no experiences. It was creepy, it creaked in the wind, it had drafts, nothing paranormal.

It would be neat if ghosts exist, but I just don't see it. I would hate to die and have myself live on pestering people for centuries or millennia. That would be a really hard pill to swallow. And if human ghosts exist, wouldn't we see them all the time? Everywhere? I mean, India and China would be crawling with billions of ghosts.

Proof would be nice.

Sure Bowb said:

More than 3 4ths of the worlds population interacts with intangible beings. The people who say they don't exist are a tiny minority. So if anything those who refuse to accept it are loony. They are a fundamental part of every major religion and it is about the only thing *every* religion pretty much agrees on, the existence of intangible beings. The people who say they don't exist (atheists), are basically saying billions upon billions of people now and throughout history are all mass hallucinating something and it wasn't until they (atheists) came along that finally the truth was found out that everyone else was wrong. You shouldn't have to defend yourself against a minority of people who don't matter. :P

People wouldn't engage in spirit related pursuits if they never gave any payoff. 99% of humanity at all times in history has engaged in some spirit related endeavor.

What you will also notice, as a tactic used by atheists, is that they will ask for proof only within the confines of their specific system (science). The problem is you are trying to prove something that cannot be observed with the 5 sense by normal means, so using a system that only accepts what can be observed with the 5 senses will not get you anywhere, hence this minority still refuses to accept. It is like trying to prove a program written in language A will work when your opponent only accepts you to use a compiler from language B. Of course it won't work, he will call you an idiot and deem you to be a loon.

Hmm, I find asking for proof somewhat questionable to begin with. But let's see where this one goes...

Jello said:

Not at all, I would love proof. There's plenty of research out there that debunks paranormal activity, but I would love to see some proof towards the existence. I live in a family with people who think they have a paranormal connection, and they seem dead set on it. But they also have a family history of schizophrenia.

When you look at how science debunks paranormal activity (though for me spirits are absolutely normal, and "everyday routine" so to speak) you'll mostly have cases of scientists checking houses with whatever equipment they have, finding nothing, basically. The same applies to people who are being checked, including brain waves, sleeping behaviour, mental illness, and so on and so forth. This "finding nothing" or being able to "explain things otherwise" is commonly perceived as a proof that spirits don't exist. Whenever scientific methods are employed with "no success", people tend to stick to that. To me it seems like the easy thing to do, the path of least resistance, if you so will. I mean no disrespect, but "easy" does not necessarily equal "right".

Jello said:

They've all lived in and slept in an old house dating to the 1890's, and have said they've seen ghosts in it. I slept in the same house from the ages of 4-9, and had no experiences. It was creepy, it creaked in the wind, it had drafts, nothing paranormal.

The way I understand "spirits" is that they are sentient beings with a will of their own. Eventhough some people are considered more sensible in regards to "sensing" these entities, spirits still have a choice of wether or not they want to interact with what you'd call "normal beings". If they chose to not interact with you, or your surroundings, it does not mean they don't exist.

I'd also like to know what reason there'd be for spirits to pose in front of a camera (an emotionless, lifeless object). Any technical stuff used to prove anything is a wasted effort when it comes to spirits. Spirits interact only if necessary in regards to their purpose. They have little regards for publicity, so to speak.

Jello said:

It would be neat if ghosts exist, but I just don't see it. I would hate to die and have myself live on pestering people for centuries or millennia. That would be a really hard pill to swallow. And if human ghosts exist, wouldn't we see them all the time? Everywhere? I mean, India and China would be crawling with billions of ghosts.

It's at this point that I have to wonder what your "concept" of "ghosts" really is, as well as your concept of life and death, for that matter.

If you think of ghosts as "things" that wonder about forever, "pestering" the living for millenia, why would it be neat if they existed, especially if there was a chance for you to end up like that?

You really should explain what you expect to "see". Colour me curious.

Jello said:

Proof would be nice.

If I could just clap my hands and make you experience what I have (Nothing frightening or painful), you'd be "dead set on it" as well. But it's not going to be that easy. I would also take you with me next time I go on a pilgrimage (I am in no way, shape or form a christian, though), but that in and off itself isn't gonna cut it.

I think it would be wise at this point, if you took a step away from the word "proof" and replace it. I am really sorry if this comes across somewhat like I was twisting words around, but maybe you'll still get the idea:
The way you function is that, when science says it did not find any evidence, you're in charge of making a choice: Which is believing it, or questioning it. Why did you choose to believe in something which is opposed to what you personally may want to believe in? You're basically saying "I'd like to see these things, and experience them for myself, but I'd rather look the other way, because someone else said I should do so".

It's up to you, really. You need to understand that the whole point of believing and the concept of your perception of "reality" is a matter of choice to begin with. If your stance in a nutshell is that you will look away until someone slaps it in your face, you won't be getting far, I'm afraid.

If science says that spirits are not a thing, because they don't have it on camera, nothing is proven (other than science does not have it on camera). If I say spirits exist, nothing is proven for you either. Why don't you try to prove it to yourself? Don't let others do "the work" for you, don't stick to hollywood, or books too much. Look for people who are willing to help you find your way, hear them out.

Mechazawa said:

More than 3 4ths of the worlds population interacts with intangible beings. The people who say they don't exist are a tiny minority.

[snip]

I could kiss you right now. :-)

Mechazawa said:

Damn, your tone is really sour. The problem is not with the fact that you believe in 'language B' as you put it, the problem is with all the oppressive legislation that's been made as a result of blindly following certain reprehensible theological teachings.

Doomkid said:

Damn, your tone is really sour. My problem is not with the fact that you believe in 'language B' as you put it, the problem is with all the oppressive legislation that's been made as a result of blindly following certain reprehensible theological teachings.

I don't think he was adressing you in particular, it was rather aimed at "Aliotroph?" and "Jello", who I disagreed with.

Mechazawa said:

More than 3 4ths of the worlds population interacts with intangible beings. The people who say they don't exist are a tiny minority. So if anything those who refuse to accept it are loony. They are a fundamental part of every major religion and it is about the only thing *every* religion pretty much agrees on, the existence of intangible beings. The people who say they don't exist (atheists), are basically saying billions upon billions of people now and throughout history are all mass hallucinating something and it wasn't until they (atheists) came along that finally the truth was found out that everyone else was wrong. You shouldn't have to defend yourself against a minority of people who don't matter. :P

People wouldn't engage in spirit related pursuits if they never gave any payoff. 99% of humanity at all times in history has engaged in some spirit related endeavor.

What you will also notice, as a tactic used by atheists, is that they will ask for proof only within the confines of their specific system (science). The problem is you are trying to prove something that cannot be observed with the 5 sense by normal means, so using a system that only accepts what can be observed with the 5 senses will not get you anywhere, hence this minority still refuses to accept. It is like trying to prove a program written in language A will work when your opponent only accepts you to use a compiler from language B. Of course it won't work, he will call you an idiot and deem you to be a loon.

This summer, in the holy places near you... Revenge of the Checkmate, Atheists: The Postening.

Also TIL if a majority is wrong, they're actually right by the power of majority. It's magic! The proofs are invisible, so stop asking to see them!

Sure Bowb said:

I see dead people.

Well fuck, that's me convinced. There can be no other explanation for these paranormal sightings and activi...

Sure Bowb said:

Your mom should have come to see me. I have experience with medical herbs (As in: "stuff" that works).

Oh. Nevermind, carry on secular universe, nothing to see here.

^You made me laugh.

Perhaps I should have been more specific. I mean herbs that were used in traditional medicine over centuries. But have it your way, I guess. ;-)

Mechazawa said:

More than 3 4ths of the worlds population interacts with intangible beings. The people who say they don't exist are a tiny minority. So if anything those who refuse to accept it are loony. They are a fundamental part of every major religion and it is about the only thing *every* religion pretty much agrees on, the existence of intangible beings.

Is it frustrating when the closest thing you can make to a logical argument defending your position is the equivalent of "50,000,000 Elvis fans can't be wrong"?

Mechazawa said:

What you will also notice, as a tactic used by atheists, is that they will ask for proof only within the confines of their specific system (science)

You'll want to look into presuppositional apologetics then - good luck with that since I'm sure you'll get all the laughter that nonsense deserves.

My extended-family usually has a big party and dinner on Christmas eve. Instead waiting till the morning, we open our gifts after 12:00 am. Usually someone dresses up like Santa Claus to give gifts to the children.

dew said:

This summer, in the holy places near you... Revenge of the Checkmate, Atheists: The Postening.

Also TIL if a majority is wrong, they're actually right by the power of majority. It's magic! The proofs are invisible, so stop asking to see them!

fraggle said:

Is it frustrating when the closest thing you can make to a logical argument defending your position is the equivalent of "50,000,000 Elvis fans can't be wrong"?

Regardless, it is majority who have positive proof of something, yet you deny. Because you may categorically deny the system for which they prove something to themselves and others is irrelevant. People still believe in things, they still have their own ways of proving them, they still convince others, and they still grow. Whether you accept it or not or those engaging in scientism accept it or not is neither here nor there. Your views really don't matter.

The reason that it would behoove you to have an open mind of course is because these people who are having the "mass hallucinations" as it is often put, are running the world. They are not going anywhere. They will *always* run the world. Scientism isn't catching on, there is actually massive growth in religiousness world wide.

Yes, if billions upon billions of people report a specific experience then it can be considered true. It isn't possible they could all have come together to orchestrate a lie. Not only that, you willingly accept other issues that are reported this way, but not religious experience, simply because you are biased. You believe Cameroon exists don't you? Have you ever been there? No (I' assuming not). You only believe it exists because a bunch of people said it exists. Or because some book (maps/geography) say it exists. Despite never having been there or experienced it, you have faith Cameroon exists.

Mechazawa said:

You believe Cameroon exists don't you?

I haven't seen a tangible, peer-reviewed proof of Cameroon's existence, so that's a resolute no. Stupid supernatural countries dreamt up by hysteria of religious sheeple.

Thanks for a great laugh.