Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spectre01

First Map Attempt etc.

Felt like screwing around in GZDoom Builder for a bit and made a very short map for Doom 2 map01. The map is extremely similar to the popular fy_iceworld Counter-Strike map from 15 years ago in both size and layout. Very basic visuals.

Boom compatible. High monster threat/density and micro-slaughter BFG gameplay. Designed for and meant to be played strictly from Pistol Start. All weapons are provided with enough ammo at the start, but that's because the CS map had that and they aren't very useful here. 50-something monsters on UV and almost half that on HMP.

Download

Revenants

Where's the ice?

Starting area.

Screenshots came out without the adjusted gamma. It's brighter, I swear. :P
Feedback, demos and jokes are welcome. PS: I'm not a mapper.

It's really dark, I had some troubles to understand what was going on in the first attempts. I went to clear first one of the lateral areas with the AVs then kill the revenants to get the megasphere and some cells, it seemed the best strategy to me but maybe there are better ones. Though I needed a bit of luck to not have the AVs from the other side to come behind me or having the cyberdemon to pop in front of me. I guess it's fair enough on UV, "visuals" are ass-tier.

rileymartin said:

Screenshots came out without the adjusted gamma. It's brighter, I swear. :P

Protip: Set your gamma to 1.0 to test your maps. It's the default and thus what almost everyone uses. If it's too dark with that gamma, it'll be too dark for most people.

"Iceworld" :D

Here's my second exit: http://www.mediafire.com/download/qs220aqpj50ibha/iceworld_rdwpa_pt.lmp

Yeah the presence of lots of weapons other than the BFG, with ammo for them too, is a nice comedic touch.

A light level of 128 is already dark. Going below 112 is mostly something reserved for aesthetics (shadows, fades to black, void, etc.) or for those "classic" style areas that take place in total darkness. 96 as the primary playspace ll is quite atypical.

Also, get SLADE 3 so that you can add custom music. It's quick and easy.

Unrelated to map but, what mods are you running? I see some HQ item pickups in there that look pretty nice and the HUD isn't half bad. Could you list off your mods? The port you're using is GZDoom correct?

I'm running one of the 3.0 builds of Zandronum. Here's my load order for vanilla stuff:

I edited Smooth Doom so it doesn't spawn permanent gib sprites and the "Herman Cain" part in the HUD mod is my edit to make the kill/monster counter go above 999. The HD item sprites are a .wad inside the Beautiful Doom mod which I extracted. Everything else should be the usual releases.

Zerthex said:

Nice map man! its alot better then any of my maps!

Thanks bro!