Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Ave Exitium - Now on the IdGames archive.

Ave Exitium is a map I started back in May originally for MAYhem2016: I saw TMD's announcement saying that the stipulation was sticking to the 16x16 grid and started mapping something inspired by 32 Inch Nails, only for the theme to change partway through. Fast-forward a few more weeks and I hit a massive slump: you might have noticed that I've been around only sporadically over the past 2 months so if you were wondering, there it is. I picked away at the map when I could but I just wasn't feeling the stuff I was doing and some sizable portions of map were discarded. Fortunately though I finally finished it today for people to enjoy (I hope).

A quick heads-up: this map has NO difficulty settings and is VERY untested. There's most likely a lot of ammo imbalance considering half the map was made in a depressed stupor and I still continue to be Good At Doom(TM). Oh yeah, and it's Boom format but only tested in ZDoom because I'm disgusting. Be sure to leave feedback!

wheej

Those spheres look really strange, but the architecture and theme looks great. :P
I need to stop being a lazy moron and download this at some point

Tested in PrBoom+.

Great unique ideas, well suited visuals, some seriously nice wheej overall.

Some infinite height snags and archvile trying-to-work-out-where he is thing but not so bad.

The room with the raising floors at the end and the FIREBLU: If it raises up without you doing the thing you get stuck there forever, recommend a punishment of some kind and a switch to make them go down or reset somehow.

Pinchy said:

The room with the raising floors at the end and the FIREBLU: If it raises up without you doing the thing you get stuck there forever, recommend a punishment of some kind and a switch to make them go down or reset somehow.

Yeah, that room unfortunately uses "Floor Raise to 8 Below Lowest Ceiling" and there's too many adjacent ceilings to keep track of. I might have a few switches to lower them.

Gave it a try, but the map is far beyond my capabilities. I understand the tyson and infight aspect of this map, but i could not get past the second big room due to simply not having any ammo left, so i don't think i can give any constructing criticisms on this one.
Just one thing, wandering around in god mode i got seemingly stuck on a blood filled elevator immediately after i got a RL, i don't know if it is the same one Pinchy has already reported but here you go.

suprise

Updated the map with a few bugfixes. I'm looking to upload to the archives before the end of today, so speak now or forever hold your peace.

This is a cool map. The extreme ammo starvation and layout made it a real puzzle to work out a survivable route through.

Notes:
- This cacodemon is stuck in his cubby hole and harmless:
- The secret with the backpack doesn't seem to work properly. The pressable tech panel only lowers half of the plinth down leaving an untextured surface and backpack far above:
- It seemed quite easy to skip over a some linedefs, notably the one that murders all of the manc snipers at the end of the map.
- There probably isn't enough ammo to kill both cyberdemons at the end. With some tyson heavy and pretty efficient play I still ended up having one cyberdemon at around 80% health. On the other hand I wasted around 10 shells by picking up one of the boxes without a backpack and probably used buckshot on a few things I could have punched. Nevertheless, I still think it'd be very tight, especially if the final infight doesn't go well. Perhaps putting a box of shells in the lift room at the end would be a good idea unless you want a potential max player finishing with some cybie punching - which wouldn't go against the spirit of this map at all.

Cool map. Like the metal + blood theme on this one. Very tought also I'll try to complete it on uv the next days if I find a proper route^

@koren

-Fixed: guess I forgot to factor infinitely tall actors into that bit.

-Whoops, fixed. Iwas altering some sector properties and I must've taken the tag off that one by accident.

-Fixed: I'm guessing that one was due to having 3 separate linedefs there.

-Just added 2 boxes of shells and 2 boxes of rockets where the Barons are perched. Hopefully that helps with the final battle.

Thanks heaps for the feedback! I'll be sure to include you in the textfile.

Obsidian said:

PFFFT

Ahh, good ol' 56-high hitboxes. The Revenant is the same, if I remember correctly.

Hell Knight's hitbox is actually 64-high, and still not high-enough to match the sprite's height.

Revenant's hitbox is 56-high and his sprite is higher than Hell Knight's sprite.

Also, sprites in GZDoom seem to be larger than in software rendering ports, as in, actually slightly upscaled.

scifista42 said:

Hell Knight's hitbox is actually 64-high, and still not high-enough to match the sprite's height.

Revenant's hitbox is 56-high and his sprite is higher than Hell Knight's sprite.

Also, sprites in GZDoom seem to be larger than in software rendering ports, as in, actually slightly upscaled.

Hm, didn't know that. neat.