Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom_Dude1278

map making and custom weapons

Firstly Map making.

How do you guys come up with a map as for me i just open doom builder 2 and have trouble as for me its like trying to paint/draw a picture which is 100% orignal of something. if you see what i mean. i got the tools but what do i make with them. do you guys do something random as long as it works because I really have trouble with that part of it.

As for the custom weapon question I have seen a tutorial of how to make a very basic custom tutorial and have found out how the sequance of the frames are usually a to a letter depending upon how many frames there are and some other things what i would like to know is that when it says how to put the attack sound it says:

AttackSound "weapons/shotgf"

I get that the attack sound is whats called uppon by default by

A_FireBullets

however when i look amongst the files from doom 2 there is not one sound file named shotgf.

so how is the file selected because as said there is now file named shotgf

Thanks once again for your help guys.

Doom_Dude1278 said:

Firstly Map making.

How do you guys come up with a map as for me i just open doom builder 2 and have trouble as for me its like trying to paint/draw a picture which is 100% orignal of something. if you see what i mean. i got the tools but what do i make with them. do you guys do something random as long as it works because I really have trouble with that part of it.

As for the custom weapon question I have seen a tutorial of how to make a very basic custom tutorial and have found out how the sequance of the frames are usually a to a letter depending upon how many frames there are and some other things what i would like to know is that when it says how to put the attack sound it says:

AttackSound "weapons/shotgf"

I get that the attack sound is whats called uppon by default by

A_FireBullets

however when i look amongst the files from doom 2 there is not one sound file named shotgf.

so how is the file selected because as said there is now file named shotgf

Thanks once again for your help guys.

Welcome to the forums!

First, you should probably have posted this section in the Doom Editing forums. :)

Second, "weapons/shotgf" is the logical name assigned by ZDoom's SNDINFO lump to "DSSHOTGF" (or something like that, I forgot it's name).

Thirdly, you don't need the lumpname to play a sound using any DECORATE code pointer; you only need the logical name for convenience! :)

Last, see the wiki for reference before posting! It'll have you learn more. :D

Last fourth month I was noob doom builder. Here is my council

1. You need have Doom Builder and SLADE3. SLADE3 able you add new texture, new level, custom waepons/monsters, music, hack (parametrization) and many thing.

2. Your first map. Make dublikat of DOOM2.WAD, connect this with doom builder and you can reconstruct map level 1 :) Texture are included. That is first way to learn something.

3.After some knowlege you learn use SLADE3. You can copy your first MAP1 from DOOM2.WAD and paste on your serious new WAD.

I find it very hard to start from scratch on Doom Builder, but on a piece of paper with a big fat sharpie it's somehow easier.

Just start drawing in straight lines and see where you end up!

Bauul said:

I find it very hard to start from scratch on Doom Builder, but on a piece of paper with a big fat sharpie it's somehow easier.

It's the general process for any kind of level design.

I'd suggest following some tutorials, just build what they tell you so you get the basic understanding of how things work and what kind of limits you have(depends if you want to map for vanilla or not).

Once you feel like you got the hang of it, start with drawing some sketches as a rough idea.

And another tip: Play levels from other people. Atleast this helps me a lot to get any inspiration.

Bauul said:

Just start drawing in straight lines and see where you end up!

I don't really understand that...making rooms in Doom Builder is just like drawing on paper anyway.

As for the details, instead of drawing awkward wobbly lines on paper I just go into 3D mode and imagine the detail...then make it. If it isn't right...change it...I find that much easier and quicker than going back to consult the paper then do a lot of rubbing out/redrawing every time I want to change anything.

Xegethra said:

making rooms in Doom Builder is just like drawing on paper anyway.

Except that it lacks some creative flexibility: You can't draw true curves, you can't always draw overlapping geometry, you have to be careful when deleting linedefs to not create unclosed sectors (that is, you should always join or merge sectors before deleting a 2-sided linedef between them), etc. On the other hand, you can use Undo and Redo buttons, easily copy-paste / resize / rotate / delete elaborate geometry, etc.

If you can't draw true curves in Doom Builder..but can on paper...that just creates another reason to not do it on paper if it'll never really ever look like the paper drawing anyway.

I dunno, I just tend to keep the loose design, then later more complex design in my mind....I have tried doing it on paper first but I end up forgetting about the paper pretty quickly, just don't get along with it.

If it helps others then yeah they should do it, I'll just never quite understand it.

For me it just depends. Sometimes I get a map idea in my head and draw it out first on paper. Sometimes I just starting drawing crap in the editor and then I start working with what I randomly drew and build onto it and turn that into a level. Usually at that point I'd get an idea on how to finish the map if I didn't have one when I started it.