Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrGamer

Uptade on Progress (and lack thereof)

Hi all! Things have been SERIOUSLY delayed for me due to several factors, one being the complete migration from Windows to Linux, I will now only use Windows for gaming, and nothing else. :)

How far have I come on the front of effects and music?

Well, I already have a small collection of "standard" sounds, mixed and modified to perfection. A small FX-Pack will come out, but I don't know when.

Also, I have made a PRE-WIP (Pre-Work In Progress) and that means it is not fit for release..

It is several small tunes in one, and I can't release it as-is, since for starters, effects are not reset between "songs" and mess up sounds they where not supposed to

Secondly, and this is the whooper - I have not made any "note-off/kill-commands" on the final note of most looped samples or synths.

And the final note just keeps on playing unless it encounters an end-key or a volume kill command, another note, etc etc.

I think you guys get it...

But fear not! As soon as a few things are taken care of, progress will go at a rockets pace!

Cheers! :D

Good to hear MrGamer! :) Thanks for the progress report, I'm looking forward to hear your music and sounds!
Judging from your past music, I'm sure it'll be a pleasure! ;)

And as I said before, don't worry about taking your time.
Quality is more imporant than quantity, so no need to rush.

I should probably also introduce you to Björn soon, may I suggest a Skype conversation some day?

I'm sure we'll talk soon my friend, until then, take care! :D

Eric

Zerthex said:

there needs to be new pistol and shotgun sound efx

No, it doesnt need it.

But you know what we need? DSBOSPN (final boss/ IoS pain sound)

I'm not crazy about the shotgun sound, either, but I'm fine with the pistol sound. I definitely think new fonts are in order: the current ones are a bit of a strain to read.

I LOVE the graphical updates since the last two versions, though, and I hope some of those "lost" critters in the other thread get used, like the squiddie archvile. The HUD is really slick as well.

Some of the music is still pretty bad though. E1M2 is a bunch of random notes that don't match the tone of the rest of the soundtrack.

Impie said:

I definitely think new fonts are in order: the current ones are a bit of a strain to read.

You mean the big menu font or the small one? 'Cause I think everyone agreed that the small font (courtesy of Mechadon IIRC) was a definite improvement.

I mean both. The new small one is still kind of an eyestrain to me, and I don't recall the old one, so I'm going purely off of what it is rather than what it used to be.

I'm not sure if it's the shape, or just the way they're shaded. It's hard to pinpoint at the moment.

The small one as in the one on the automap? Well maybe its the shape, how its not exactly curvy, like the new status bar font.

No, I mean all the red fonts. Sorry, forgot there were several small fonts.

The fonts used for menus and for intermission text is what I mean.

Impie said:

No, I mean all the red fonts. Sorry, forgot there were several small fonts.

The fonts used for menus and for intermission text is what I mean.

Ahh, those fonts! I agree, they should be replaced with the font in the status bar. Including the font the white fonts for level names.

Let me try something.

Edit: nope, my phone can't view PCX files.

Cire said:

Good to hear MrGamer! :) Thanks for the progress report, I'm looking forward to hear your music and sounds!
Judging from your past music, I'm sure it'll be a pleasure! ;)

And as I said before, don't worry about taking your time.
Quality is more imporant than quantity, so no need to rush.

I should probably also introduce you to Björn soon, may I suggest a Skype conversation some day?

I'm sure we'll talk soon my friend, until then, take care! :D

Eric

Sure thing! Things are FINALLY starting to get ordered! Although I am moving today, I will bring ALL my computers and parts to the new place.

I have run Linux now for a LONG time, >not even having Windows installed!< Man am I glad I switched

I will also build a completely NEW new Hybrid Gaming/Music rig, dual-booting Windows 10 / Ubuntu Studio 64.

my skypename is gamermachine or just "Andreas Rohdin" - Brastad, Västra Götalands Län and a funny doodle made in MSPAINT back in 2008 :P Can't miss it!

Zerthex said:

there needs to be new pistol and shotgun sound efx

My favorite sounds to mix ARE gun-sounds, so that can be arranged VERY quickly and I promise you, it will be 100% legal and professional enough for AAA-Release.

I want to be able to compress and use my FX in OGG or FLAC-format, of course 16Bit, and 48000Khz if it is POSSIBLE, (44100) IS OK.

Impie said:

I'm not crazy about the shotgun sound, either, but I'm fine with the pistol sound. I definitely think new fonts are in order: the current ones are a bit of a strain to read.

I LOVE the graphical updates since the last two versions, though, and I hope some of those "lost" critters in the other thread get used, like the squiddie archvile. The HUD is really slick as well.

Some of the music is still pretty bad though. E1M2 is a bunch of random notes that don't match the tone of the rest of the soundtrack.

I made music for free for a pal of mine, they where used in 3D-Movies and presentations for government and city events and other things. 5 to be exact, and they loved my music according to my pal, and he never lies.

So, it is easy to say he owes me a favor or two ;) I can hire him to make/remake the font, also, he can make textures like a mother-frakker!

So, either point me to the most important to be replaced, and I will hand them over to him, also, I need the resolution of course as well as what format it can handle.

Becase he CAN make - for example - a 3D-Object in whatever progam(s) he use(s) with VERY advanced texture effects, Bump-Mapping is just one.

And, I am fairly certain that he could build 3D-Models! Enemies, objecs, whatever! It will be a HUGE task for HIM since he does not have that much free time, but I will try to get "as muc has I can" and who knows? In the end, he might have made the frame for every object and enemy in the game...

Also, the map-maker is feeling better, I will drop him a line and see if he's still on, he's been in the hospital ;-/

Oh well, I have resources. And soon I will PERSONALLY study programming, then I can help with that part as well! :D

Sounds like you can provide high quality stuff! Can't wait to find out what you'll show us!

Yeah, I know MrGamer IRL (he lives in the neiboughring Town from me). Besides being a generally nice guy, he surely can do HQ stuff. I recommend checking out his website @ soundcloud to get just a small taste of what he can do. :)

MrGamer said:

My favorite sounds to mix ARE gun-sounds, so that can be arranged VERY quickly and I promise you, it will be 100% legal and professional enough for AAA-Release.

I want to be able to compress and use my FX in OGG or FLAC-format, of course 16Bit, and 48000Khz if it is POSSIBLE, (44100) IS OK.

im thinking the pistol sound effects needs to be a mix of the railgun pistol from TFC and the default pistol sound effect from freedoom. because the new pistol sprite looks like it could be some sort of lazer pistol..