Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doohnibor

Ending the Level, after dying?!? This was a first ; )

Didn't know this was possible! I'm pretty sure that I ended a map while already dead... and started the next one with 100% health ; ) I wish I had recorded a Demo.

I was at 4% health, moving towards the "end level" line, when a Revenants missile hit me.
The player went down to the ground and had still some momentum from the movement or the missile hit and while already dead, the player passed the end level line.
To my surprise the level stats were shown and I started the next map with 100% health.

I never had this happen before... on the other hand probably died a thousand times in the game just one pixel away from a health pack or megasphere, which filled up the whole screen while laying on the floor ; )

Yeah, that's how the Doom engine behaves and speedrunners even exploit it in some maps, for example killing themselves and sliding under bars or through windows which they otherwise couldn't vertically fit into, to cross the exit line.

Ha! Too bad it doesn't work with health packs.... would be fun to be resurrected and stand up again ; )

In fact, depending on which map sets you've played, you very well might have gone through death exits before without noticing it! They're commonly used to force an inventory reset between "episodes". Valiant and Ancient Aliens are two recent examples, but there are many others.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Suicide_exit

My personal favourite is the 3 linedef map from Slaughterfest 3. There's a Romero head shielded by a stack of several stuck masterminds, but sometimes that isn't enough...

It's quite impressive to see what kind of bugs people are able to exploit in order to get Vanilla compatible effects achieved. Personally, my lowest level of compatibility when I was Doom modding was ZDoom (And most of them were GZDoom level) but this is a pretty neat trick for someone who wants to have it all. XD

It's pretty fun, ain't it? Dying and respawning in the next level with a fresh start, if you will.

MFG38 said:

It's pretty fun, ain't it? Dying and respawning in the next level with a fresh start, if you will.

Then again, that sort of phenomena is technically "canon" to the game since that's exactly what happens between E1M8 and E2M1. You seem to die at the end and, at the beginning of the next since you have to start over from the menu, you're suddenly at full health and with only your pistol.

i wonder if graf zahl the killjoy will complain about speedrunners having fun with bugs like he always does

^ I don't think he's against enforced pistol start when a level is exited after the player is dead, because ZDoom specifically changes the E1M8 death exit sector effect to do just what's described in the previous sentence, instead of the vanilla behavior of this sector effect that makes you appear in the next level with low health and keeping your weapons.

I made a map where when you step on the exit pedestal, you're teleported into some barrels, die and slowly scroll into your coffin at a funeral where several marines pay you respect.

joe-ilya said:

I made a map where when you step on the exit pedestal, you're teleported into some barrels, die and slowly scroll into your coffin at a funeral where several marines pay you respect.

Press F to pay respects

scifista42 said:

ZDoom specifically changes the E1M8 death exit sector effect

No, or at least it didn't last time I tried.

joe-ilya said:

And then you start the next level in Hell?

Scythe and Scythe 2 do this a lot. One that stands out is late into Scythe 2, where you need to kill yourself with a rocket to slide into the exit portal, as you're too tall to just walk in there.