Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
skadoomer

A perplexing preponderance

If anyone has watched the doom III legacy video, you probabily have a visual sense of what i'm talking about.

Does anyone know how the doom sprites where created? By the looks of the video it seems it was mousedrawn (or mousecolored for that matter). But then again, i saw a cyberdemon model in there so i was guessing they used a model base and mousedrew on top of it. If you look through the wad closely, most of the sprites look really good to be mousedrawn, and then there are parts that are rather cheep (like the glare coming from the macabus guns when he shoots) Anyone have any insight to the real deal on how id created the doom sprites?

They were made with clay, maniquines with clay, hand drawn then the models of clay were done by mouse I think. Pretty sure.

WTF, mouse drawn?

SOME of the Doom monsters were built and scanned, while others were made from scratch. All, however, took a lot of hard work by the artists. I am also sure they used graphics tablets, as no computer artist would ever in a million years rely on a mouse to do work like that.

Linguica said:

SOME of the Doom monsters were built and scanned, while others were made from scratch. All, however, took a lot of hard work by the artists. I am also sure they used graphics tablets, as no computer artist would ever in a million years rely on a mouse to do work like that.

Actually some art I've seen that was done with a mouse puts any of the doom sprites textures or whatever to shame. So it is quite possible they didn't use graphic tablets.

Linguica said:

WTF, mouse drawn?

I think Kenneth Scott is the only id artist that uses a tablet. I seem to recall Adrian and Kevin draw with the mouse, or at least they used to in Quake 1/2's development.

skadoomer said:

well hot damn. i'm guessing most of the items where made from scratch. But what about the weapons?

the hands on the weapons are photographs of someone's hands at id

They might have been mouse drawn. I don't think Deluxe Paint ever had support for tablets... but then again...

Let us speculate about the weaponry a little bit.

Fists - obviously, this guy has brass knuckles, that is settled.
Chainsaw - It is yellow, dunno the make of the Chainsaw it was modled after.
Pistol - looks to be either a .38 caliber revolver or a .45 caliber revolver
Shotgun - probably a .20 gauge, dunno
Double Barrel Shotgun - it was said in the DooM 2 manual that it is sawwed off, and I judge it is a .12 gauge.
Chaingun - probably modled after a minigun or something
Rocket Laucher - seems to be a rocket launcher, any objections?
Plasma Rifle - dunno what this was modled after, if anything at all
BFG 9000 - dunno either

I read the story about the Plasma Rifle and BFG somewhere. The model for both weapons was a little toy "space gun" one of the id boys bought at a grocery store. The view of the toy gun from the top (looking down the barrel) was used for the plasma rifle, and the view from the side (like you were holding it gangsta-style ;) was mirrored and used for the BFG. If I can find the link, I'll put it up. I think the article was from some kid who won a tour of the id offices a few years back, on one of the major gaming sites.

Nuno Correia said:

They might have been mouse drawn. I don't think Deluxe Paint ever had support for tablets... but then again...

Autodesk Animator Pro had support, maybe even the first release too...

IMJack said:

If I can find the link, I'll put it up. I think the article was from some kid who won a tour of the id offices a few years back, on one of the major gaming sites.

Rellik?