Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
waverider

Strange crash bug in my Vanilla map (help still needed, please)

Hello.

I'm having a problem with a crash in my vanilla map. I'm building this large map that really taxes the engine in regards to segs and visplanes. But the bug I've encountered is something else. Basically, in a few of the latest rooms I've created, both Chocolate Doom and renderlimits bombs out to the desktop with no error message whatsoever. The bugs occur at several spots in the rooms in front of the player start.

What could possibly be wrong? Have I ran into a map size/sidedef limit or so? The map is 1.15 mb big.

Help is greatly appreciated. I'm somewhat of a vanilla mapping noob so there's many limitations and possible bugs I don't know about. If anyone needs the map, it's here. Sorry about the big file size. Oh and it's map slot is 26.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/b31bjxo47iis92z/Bleedingsea.zip

Regards /Waverider

A frequent cause of vanilla/Choco crashing without error message is when the map uses multipatch textures as midtextures on 2-sided linedefs. Therefore, find all midtextures on 2-sided lines in your map, check their entries in TEXTURE1 in SLADE3 to see if they consist of multiple patches that vertically overlap each other (being next to each other horizontally is OK), then modify your map to not use such textures as midtextures on 2-sided lines.

Another possible cause is when you are using F_SKY1 on both the floor and a ceiling of the same sector, unless the sector is bordered by another sector from all sides (or something like that).

scifista42 said:

A frequent cause of vanilla/Choco crashing without error message is when the map uses multipatch textures as midtextures on 2-sided linedefs. Therefore, find all midtextures on 2-sided lines in your map, check their entries in TEXTURE1 in SLADE3 to see if they consist of multiple patches that vertically overlap each other (being next to each other horizontally is OK), then modify your map to not use such textures as midtextures on 2-sided lines.

Another possible cause is when you are using F_SKY1 on both the floor and a ceiling of the same sector, unless the sector is bordered by another sector from all sides (or something like that).

I tried checking both these things you mentioned, but unfortunately the problem still persists. :( All the 2-sided midtextures I use all over the map are single patch only except for one instance, but those only overlap horizontally.

Also I only have the sky texture on the ceiling.

Do you have any other idea to why this is happening?

Cheers.

waverider said:

those only overlap horizontally.

I'm not sure if we both mean the same thing when we say "overlap horizontally", so just in case, which texture is that? Identify it so that I can find its TEXTURE1 entry and check.

I remember another case of a crash that we weren't able to identify why it happens, I know it's not helpful directly, but if the cause was indeed the same as in your case, somebody (probably not me) could in theory find out what the 2 maps have in common and that could be the cause.

In the meantime, check the map in Chocorenderlimits and see if any of the displayed limits is being close to overflow right before the crash happens.

scifista42 said:

I'm not sure if we both mean the same thing when we say "overlap horizontally", so just in case, which texture is that? Identify it so that I can find its TEXTURE1 entry and check.

I remember another case of a crash that we weren't able to identify why it happens, I know it's not helpful directly, but if the cause was indeed the same as in your case, somebody (probably not me) could in theory find out what the 2 maps have in common and that could be the cause.

In the meantime, check the map in Chocorenderlimits and see if any of the displayed limits is being close to overflow right before the crash happens.

The textures A_DMACE1 + 2 show up at linedefs 8210, 8215 and two more linedefs, which is nearby to the area that crashes Choco. Those textures have three patches each, but they overlap from left to right and not from up to down.

None of the displayed limits are close to maxing out when Renderlimits crashes. There are a couple of places where the program crashes, sector 1070 and sector 1098 are two of them, but it can also crash in sector 1078. It's all very weird indeed. :/

waverider said:

The textures A_DMACE1 + 2

I checked them out in your texture pack. Their patches are indeed overlapping in the bad way. Do not use them as midtextures on 2-sided lines.

scifista42 said:

I checked them out in your texture pack. Their patches are indeed overlapping in the bad way. Do not use them as midtextures on 2-sided lines.

Just to clarify, if two patches are lined up next to each other, it's ok, but not if they're overlapping? That is, as 2-sided midtextures, and horizontal? Is two or more vertical patches always a no-no when it comes to 2-sided midtextures?

By the way, it seems those textures I mentioned aren't midtextures but upper textures, so they wouldn't cause trouble there. Sorry my bad.

Thanks for trying to help anyway. :)

Here is a picture of possible relative positions of 2 patches within a multipatch midtexture. Only textures whose all patches are relatively positioned as in the pictured position labeled as OK can be safely used on 2-sided midtextures.

In the 2 top positions, the patches may touch (the gap between them can be 0 pixels wide), but not overlap. In the bottom 2 positions, they overlap.

scifista42 said:

Here is a picture of possible relative positions of 2 patches within a multipatch midtexture. Only textures whose all patches are relatively positioned as in the pictured position labeled as OK can be safely used on 2-sided midtextures.

http://i.imgur.com/Q6Z3z2K.png

In the 2 top positions, the patches may touch (the gap between them can be 0 pixels wide), but not overlap. In the bottom 2 positions, they overlap.

Ok, got it. Thanks! :)

I still need help with the crash bug please. Does anyone else have a clue to what could be causing this? Thanks. :)

The only other idea I have is that your map is just so large and/or elaborate that it exceeds some of the less notorious vanilla engine limits. A possible candidate is the blockmap overflow or map size in blocks, but it could be something else as well. I've noticed collision detection problems with the black pillar in the north-eastern-most corridor, and that firing certain weapons in certain sectors under certain angles causes a crash too. Anyway, if the map's complexity was indeed the cause, you'd have to either give up vanilla/Choco compatibility or shrink/simplify the map.