Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raymoohawk

post overpowered but fun monster ideas

me first

a monster with an archvile style attack that when killed mass resurrects all other monsters except archviles spiderdemons or cybers

A monster who revives itself when killed, unless gibbed or crushed.
A monster who crawls on walls and ceilings (possibly but not necessarily fast).
A monster who drains your health and/or slows you down while you're looking at it.

A support-type monster that has a projectile attack that freezes the player and prevents him/her from moving. The player can still shoot the surround monsters and the attack itself does not deliver any damage. Might be a cool idea but also kinda frustrating I guess since movement is a critical factor in Doom's gameplay.

A monster who actively dodges projectiles that fly towards it or near it, tries to move unpredictably to dodge your aim while you're holding a hitscan weapon, and avoids explosives such as barrels.

Uni said:

A support-type monster that has a projectile attack that freezes the player and prevents him/her from moving.

As someone who identifies as gender neutral I take offense to your comment.

I think a monster that can no clip would be cool. With thing hate. Maybe something not to threatening - like an imp.

A monster whose attack completely obscures your view for a couple of seconds.

Or a Pain Elemental that spawns other Pain Elementals. Which spawn even more.
Eventually your framerate will collapse and the game crashes to desktop.

scifista42 said:

A monster who drains your health and/or slows you down while you're looking at it.

I think I remember an old commercial Q1 mod - with all these things plus there was a weapon that inflated enemies and then you would "burst" them with a railgun or similar (and the final boss had to be killed this way.)

Anyone else remember this or am I dreaming? (IIRC it was actually pretty good.)

Berzerk Demon, makes all enemies in area "Fast". kamakazi caco, a caco that flays at you with melee only and explodes when in melee distance or when killed, Ram Caco, a caco that acts like a lost soul. pain preist, has attack that makes you walk instead of run. a nightmare pinky with fast on and 300hp.

fraggle said:

Zombieman with a BFG

:( you are better than this ):

scifista42 said:

as usual i like you ideas scifitsa :)

banishdemons said:

I think I remember an old commercial Q1 mod - with all these things plus there was a weapon that inflated enemies and then you would "burst" them with a railgun or similar (and the final boss had to be killed this way.)

Anyone else remember this or am I dreaming? (IIRC it was actually pretty good.)

i dont remember a commercial like that, but i think i've heard romero describe similar concepts. i think i heard something kinda like the line of sight idea in the play trough that romero did with jpl

everennui said:

I think a monster that can no clip would be cool. With thing hate. Maybe something not to threatening - like an imp.

that would be great, i'm the type of weak player who frequently retreats from fights and hides behind a door or wall, something like this would totally shit my pants XD

Swine & Roses said:

A monster whose attack completely obscures your view for a couple of seconds.

i like this idea. i think a nice compromise would be to have it obscure your view constantly, except for when you look at it, so as to force you to take it out quckly

MrGlide said:

Berzerk Demon, makes all enemies in area "Fast". kamakazi caco, a caco that flays at you with melee only and explodes when in melee distance or when killed, Ram Caco, a caco that acts like a lost soul. pain preist, has attack that makes you walk instead of run. a nightmare pinky with fast on and 300hp.

that pain priest sounds like pure evil!

also a combination of your berserk demon with the everunui noclip demon would be great. basically the berserk demon would not be able to noclip, but it would allow other demons to noclip :)

A beefed up Cyberdemon that shoots 3 rockets at a time, with one flying straight and the other two at an angle, creating a cone shape. Here's the catch, one of the rockets from each shot will be homing like the Revenant missile.

Spider Mastermind that shoots rockets at the speed of chaingun, 3 at the time and each of them is launched at random angle. Srsly, somebody should make this. That should've been the real final boss of Doom.

Also, would be nice to see a monster that can pickup weapons/powerups and use the weapons against the player and get buffed by the powerups. And upon getting killed, this monster would drop all weapons/powerups it picked up.

a monster that "possesses" other monsters, buffing them with stuff like strength, speed, or no pain chance, moving from shell to shell on death and only becoming vulnerable when there are no potential hosts in range / in view / whatever

An archvile that can radius resurrect/heal any enemies and its attack always connects, regardless of line of sight or distance, as long as the flame shows on your screen.

A Revenant that has the behaviour of a Chaingunner: it won't stop firing those fireballs unless it gets hurt. And for the sake of overpowering it, the fireballs will only be homing fireballs and shoots two at a time every second.

I'd love to fight this thing.

cross post from zdoom

Ethril said:

Rocket-jumping Cyberdemon (I actually made one of these some time ago... although it uses ThrustThing instead of "real" rocketjumping)

A weak monster that duplicates itself if you kill it without gibbing (or maybe the other way around?).
A slow-moving, unkillable melee monster with +NOCLIP. It'll stalk you anywhere in the map and force you to stay on the move.

i quite like the weak monster idea. if you know what you are doing than you can avoid a big hustle, but get careless or be distracted by other baddies and a simple treath could easely escalate

Voros said:

A Revenant that has the behaviour of a Chaingunner: it won't stop firing those fireballs unless it gets hurt.

Hm, i'm actually now tempted to make a decorate wad that makes all monsters attack non-stop and see how it turns out. It's now really that difficult to make if you think about it..

Voros said:

A Revenant that has the behaviour of a Chaingunner: it won't stop firing those fireballs unless it gets hurt. And for the sake of overpowering it, the fireballs will only be homing fireballs and shoots two at a time every second.

I'd love to fight this thing.

that is good boss material right there, would love to see the bruiser bros replaced with that ;)

kmxexii said:

a monster that "possesses" other monsters, buffing them with stuff like strength, speed, or no pain chance, moving from shell to shell on death and only becoming vulnerable when there are no potential hosts in range / in view / whatever

love this concept, it is a good foil for woosie players like me that usually dont kill monsters unless neccesary :) the no pain chance part is a must

Job said:

An archvile that can radius resurrect/heal any enemies and its attack always connects, regardless of line of sight or distance, as long as the flame shows on your screen.

the second part sounds way to op even for op, tho i guess if you get it to infight it would be less of a problem

ChekaAgent said:

Spider Mastermind that shoots rockets at the speed of chaingun, 3 at the time and each of them is launched at random angle. Srsly, somebody should make this. That should've been the real final boss of Doom.

much better than regular spider i think

joe-ilya said:

An invulnerable chaingunner that moves quick.

chaingunner that moves quick is a simple but efective idea, i think the invulneravility should only activate when it stops to shoot, it would be killable, but only when moving at doomguy like speeds

An archvile that can resurrect ANY monster, including cyberdemons, spider masterminds, and even other archviles.

Imagine a cross between a Pain Elemental and Archvile that, after reviving an enemy, somehow remembers the last enemy it revived it just spits out that kind of enemy until it finds a new dead enemy to revive and then the cycle continues.

DaIcemann76 said:

An archvile that can resurrect ANY monster, including cyberdemons, spider masterminds, and even other archviles.

it would be cool i think to have a sort of drum orc that looks like the ones that summoned the eye in the gba lotr games. when present it would unlock secondary abilities on all monster. i think your suggestion could work as the archaviles' unlocked behaviour :)

MetroidJunkie said:

Imagine a cross between a Pain Elemental and Archvile that, after reviving an enemy, somehow remembers the last enemy it revived it just spits out that kind of enemy until it finds a new dead enemy to revive and then the cycle continues.

oh man i can already imagine it. it would fly into a corpse, pick it up, devour it, and then a mini factory contraption straped to its back would "poop" out a shiny newly assembled demon of watever species it just ate!

raymoohawk said:

:( you are better than this ):

how about:

A revenant that can punch the projectiles in the air and send them back at you

An archvile that resurrects monsters but also makes them more challenging each time they're resurrected. More hitpoints, and weapon upgrades - imagine that Arachnotron you just killed being brought back but even tougher and with a BFG this time. If a super-archvile revives another super-archvile, the revived archvile grants even more extra hitpoints and upgrades. By convention they will always appear in levels in pairs.