Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geekmarine

Gibbing (needs clearing up)

Okay, I have a slight problem. My little brother claims that while he was playing Doom, he shot a zombie with his pistol and it did the whole turning inside out thing. I have tried to convince him that no, this is impossible, and that there must have been some projectile monster nearby that took the zombie out at the exact time he fired, but he's convinced that there were no projectile monsters in the area. Of course, I'm certain that it is physically impossible to gib a monster with a pistol, because the game was designed that way. Anyone willing to offer any proof about this, or better yet, actually show the gibbing code itself (which I've always been curious about anyways)?

No it is not possible to gib an enemy with the pistol, EVER. You CAN gib a zombie with the plasma rifle sometimes though.

After looking at the code, I discovered that it isn't possible to gib a zombie with a pistol, or even shotgun, super shotgun, or chaingun.

The gib code is this:

if (target->health < -target->info->spawnhealth
&& target->info->xdeathstate)
{
P_SetMobjState (target, target->info->xdeathstate);
}
else
P_SetMobjState (target, target->info->deathstate);

In the first line, it says that you would have to cause enough damage equal or greater than twice his original HP in order to gib the enemy. The enemy also needs a gib frame.
Now then, the zomebie has a mere 20 health, and the damage for the pistol is:

damage = ((P_Random()%5)+1)*3;

This means that it does between 5 and 15 damage, which is not enough to gib the zombie. Since shotgun and super shotgun shots are just a bunch of pistol shots all clumped together, they cannot gib zombies either. Even if you take them down to 1 health, your next shot would not gib him.

only way he couldve gibbed the zombie with the pistol would be if he had the doomsphere(the quad damage of doom :) ) in skull tag

I have seen a zombie gib another zombie in PSX Doom, and I've seen an imp gib a zombie in Doom.

IIRC imps can dish out 21 hit points of damage max., and as a zombies health is 20 if it's less than half of that it gets gibbed by 21 or more or something like that..

he said turn inside out, not necessarily "gib". thus he could have shot him with the pistol at extremly close range and seen red pixels and got confused

Heh.

If the condition to gib a monster is to provide it with more damage than the hitpoints it has in a single gametic then it's possible - I think I've done it to a Former Human with the shotgun, you just have to be precise.

Nope, it's impossible to do it with a bullet-based weapon. You cn do it with non-berserk fist though iirc.

I've gibbed a pistol zombie with the shotgun, and I think you can gib an enemy with the pistol if said enemy has fewer than 5 hit points as its maximum health. (DeHackEd can do amazing things)

I once screwed with DeHackEd and made a weird marine-killer patch. I unintentionally screwed up the patch so that the changed enemies would die at the start of the level and spring to life when you bumped into their corpses. I am much better at editing with DeHackEd now.

I remember I once gibbed a zombie with the SSG in Doom2. It was up close though.

Woolie Wool said:

I once screwed with DeHackEd and made a weird marine-killer patch. I unintentionally screwed up the patch so that the changed enemies would die at the start of the level and spring to life when you bumped into their corpses.

Now that would be fun. Throw in a few dummy corpses and you wouldn't know what was what. :)

I then tried to increase the rate of fire of the shotgun with DeHackEd, but it caused DOOM to bomb whenever I fired a weapon. Only the fist and chainsaw would work. I've learned how to change frame durations properly and one of my patches has a working, rapid-fire pistol. :)

Woolie Wool said:

I then tried to increase the rate of fire of the shotgun with DeHackEd, but it caused DOOM to bomb whenever I fired a weapon. Only the fist and chainsaw would work. I've learned how to change frame durations properly and one of my patches has a working, rapid-fire pistol. :)

ever look at suprwep8, which ships with dehacked?

Another possibility could be that there was a explosive barrel next to the trooper, and that another monster could have shot something that bade the barrel explode at the same time as he shot.

I've seen Barons/Hell Knights, Mancubi, Imps, Demons, Cacos, Archviles and Cyberdemons gib zombiemen and sergeants.

It's impossible to gib monster with bullet weapons, plain and simple.

Woolie Wool said:

I've gibbed a pistol zombie with the shotgun

WRONG

DooMBoy said:

I remember I once gibbed a zombie with the SSG in Doom2. It was up close though.

WRONG

It is IMPOSSIBLE to gib any Doom enemy with any hitscan weapon. It will simply never happen.

the bullets are processed one at a time. so unless one bullet had enough damage to gib someone (and it doesnt) it will never happen, because even if you unload all 20 pellets from an ssg, which typically does ~200dmg, onto a single trooper at point blank range, the first two or 3 will be calculated to hit him and kill him, and the remaining ones will simply go through and hit something else.

pritch said:

Nope, it's impossible to do it with a bullet-based weapon. You cn do it with non-berserk fist though iirc.

If I'm not mistaken the fist inflicts the same amount of damage as the pistol (5-15)... so I doubt it (never ever seen it happen either).

Mr. Chris said:

I've seen Barons/Hell Knights, Mancubi, Imps, Demons, Cacos, Archviles and Cyberdemons gib zombiemen and sergeants.

It's impossible to gib monster with bullet weapons, plain and simple.

Umm...the Baron hit does enough damage to do so, and its fireball is as powerful as a blast from the plasma gun. Same with the Demon's bite. Same with the Caco's fireball. And goddammit, the Cyberdemon fires the same missiles YOU do, of course it'll gib the fuckers. And have you ANY inkling as to how powerful the Archvile's fire is? I think somebody's been playing with too much godmode.

And your fist actually does do more damage, it does, 4 - 20, or something like that, so it's very possible with the fist. With a pistol, no. At least not in the PC version. And certainly not with EDGE, which HAS the damage values right there in front of your face if you care to look at the DDFs.

The kid was probably (as in definitely) full of shit.

Linguica said:

WRONGWRONG

It is IMPOSSIBLE to gib any Doom enemy with any hitscan weapon. It will simply never happen.

Make a DeHackEd Patch and set the Trooper's max HP to 1. I think it will gib.

Nevermind, I stand corrected.

[16:53] <Linguica> bbg yes you can gib things with the pistol if you set their hp to 1

Woolie Wool said:

Make a DeHackEd Patch and set the Trooper's max HP to 1. I think it will gib.

Yes, if you set an enemy's HP to 1 then anything will gib it. Of course that was not the point. Like I said, no Doom enemy can be gibbed from a hitscan weapon.

Woolie Wool said:

I would tell you to prove it with the source code if I wasn't totally unable to read C++ code.

doom is in C not C++ :)

RailGunner said:

your right. but has anybody tried adding missle damage to the bullet puff in dehacked?

Railgunner in the tomato ketchup factory.

RailGunner said:

your right. but has anybody tried adding missle damage to the bullet puff in dehacked?

I can assure you it does nothing. The puff is a dummy sprite and dosn't have any link to the missle damage factor. Only perjectiles (and the zdoom railgun) take advantage of the missle damage.

Although, you could give the puff a radius explosion codepointer (or bex alais) and spice things up. Zan Zan did something to that effect with the fire orbs (which is one of the best weapons i've ever seen in doom)

Heh, half the people in this thread actually know what they're talking about, the others of you should go read the Hank Leukart Doom FAQ or something before guessing away.

Fancy saying the pistol and fist do the same amount of damage, ewwww.