Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Paul977

Change the map name

Yes another question: how to change the name of the automap from entryway to (the name I've in mind) for a Boom compatible level ? (so finally I can post it..)
Regards

Via a DEHACKED/BEX patch. Download and install WhackEd4, make a new BEX patch, go to Strings table, find the string corresponding to MAP01's name, change it, then import the BEX patch into your wad as a lump, and name the lump "DEHACKED".

I'm not sure if the OP was asking about the intermission map names. But just in case, if you want to replace those, you need to replace the CWILV* graphics. They start at CWILV00 and go to CWILV31 with the number representing the map slot.

Or make the definition for the map in MAPINFO, with the first line holding the map's nice name. This will even override CWILVxx graphics if there's not one set up inside the MAPINFO definition.

So as an example:

map MAP01 "Your Map Name"
{
[map definition stuff]
}

Boom levels work fine with MAPINFO though? Or is he talking about the actual Boom port and having a level meant for that? Bit ambiguous to say Boom compatible level, to me that could mean a Boom format level or a level meant for only Boom (the port).

It means a level playable in any port that fully supports Boom features, even the simplest one that supports nothing else than Boom features, or one that supports ZDoom and/or other features too. MAPINFO is not a Boom feature, therefore Boom compatible ports are not obligated to support it, even though some of them do. Nowadays, though, Boom compatibility is practically synonymous with PrBoom-plus compatibility with -complevel 9 parameter, because this port is widely used by not only speedrunners and it could be said that it renders all less-advanced Boom compatible ports obsolete.

Somewhat off topic question but speaking about complevels... say I'm making a map using Boom format and extended nodes and testing with ZDoom. Is there a way to tell if that level will work correctly in other Boom compatible ports without using them? Just the level in this case, ignoring other lumps in the WAD.

I've set the compatibility options in ZDoom to Boom (Strict) but I feel like that's not a good enough measure.

Of course, the only reliable way to know is to test in PrBoom-plus on -complevel 9. Otherwise, you have to know all the possible types of zdoomisms and avoid them while mapping or editing lumps in the wad.

I know one zdoomism is doors and lifts with no tags. I've since starting tagging doors and lifts even if the linedef to use it is right there. Is there like a list of all the zdoomisms somewhere so I can make sure I don't make a noob mistake?

I don't know of such a list, here is just a recap of the most common cases that I remember off the top of my head:

-Make your map in Doom respectively Boom format, not in Hexen format or in UDMF.
-Don't make your map rely on effects defined in MAPINFO, ANIMDEFS, DECORATE, ACS, etc.
-S1/SR/W1/WR/G1/GR linedef actions should always be used with a non-zero tag.
-However, D1/DR linedef actions are the exact opposite - they should be used with tag 0, affecting the sector on the back side of the respective linedef.
-Any linedef with a special action, even a walkover or scrolling wall or any other one, blocks player's attempts to press use through it. If there's a switch-activated linedef behind such a linedef, the player will be unable to press the switch-activated one.
-All solid things are infinitely tall when testing collisions against each other. Particularly beware using solid hanging bodies as ceiling decorations in the middle of rooms, because players and monsters will be unable to walk below them.
-If your wad uses a custom TEXTURE1/PNAMES lumps with custom textures/patches, these lumps should contain entries for all textures/patches from the IWAD too (and if there are previously loaded texture packs, then the new TEXTURE1/PNAMES should contain textures/patches from the previous texture packs too), because any textures not defined in the very last loaded TEXTURE1 would be overriden and couldn't be used in the maps, respectively the port would crash upon loading the maps. And even if you didn't intend to use skies in your maps, all of the hardcoded sky textures must be defined in the last TEXTURE1.
-Custom flats should be put either between FF_START and FF_END markers, or between FF_START and F_END markers. Note the number of Fs. There should NOT be a F_START marker. I think at least vanilla also requires the F_END marker specifically.
-Custom sprites should be put between SS_START and S_END markers, or between S_START and S_END markers. Note the number of Ss. I didn't make a typo, it's really different than with the flat markers. There SHOULD be a S_END marker. I think at least vanilla also requires NOT to use the S_START marker specifically.
(Note: The FF_ and SS_ markers don't have any meaning to vanilla and classic ports, but they do to other ports, and I know for sure that the combinations FF_START - F_END and SS_START - S_END works properly in any port, so I tend to use that.)

scifista42 said:

Via a DEHACKED/BEX patch. Download and install WhackEd4, make a new BEX patch, go to Strings table, find the string corresponding to MAP01's name, change it, then import the BEX patch into your wad as a lump, and name the lump "DEHACKED".

Thanks scifista42 that worked.

@Mechadon

Yes, definitly would be nice to change the intermission screen as well. Let's see if I can do what you wrote