Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Things you want to do before you die?

I've always wanted to try living on a deserted island. Just for a few days or weeks, nothing permanent. I'd just love to experience the solitude and complete isolation.

I always wanted to learn to fly planes or at the very least learn how to fix them, I want to see the world from above.

Finish Zed's Quest. Or at least, get a decent playable pre-alpha demo with weapons, enemies, levels, and the gameplay features I want to go along with that.

Other than that, get in a better financial situation.

Less of a bucket list and more of a "longer-term stuff I'm currently focused on", but eh, whatever.

Leave behind a lot of money for someone I care for and trust. Be it friend(s) or relative(s).

Or if thats not possible, at least leave behind a better legacy.

If not that, then just want everyone to stop crying over my grave.

Im still young, so i dont have anything specific on this "list".

Most of my Bucket list revolves around hiking & visiting places. My top priority is to visit all high points in the US, excluding Alaska & Hawaii, as of this year I've been to 25 of them.

In conjunction with the high pointing I also want to visit the tallest waterfall in each state, this is proving to be a much more difficult task. It has a lot to do with the fact that there is no real guide as to what the tallest waterfall in each state even is. On several occasions I've had to visit up to 3 different waterfalls in a state & take a best guess as to which one is the tallest. Then there's states like Nevada that have almost zero information on waterfalls at all. Still I've managed to collect 15 waterfalls so far.

Another waterfall related goal I have is to visit every single waterfall in the state of Michigan. I don't have a hard number for this but I'm currently sitting somewhere around 250 out of approximately 350+

My final hiking related goal, for now, is to visit all 59 of the US National Parks, I haven't made much headway with this goal as I've only been to 10 of them.

As for non hiking related stuff my biggest goal would be to make a full length independent film. I attempted to do so a few years back, but it officially died in August of 2014 when I moved from Oklahoma to Michigan. The disastrous results of my filming attempt can be found here https://www.doomworld.com/vb/everything-else/68470-jaws-in-space-presents-a-movie-the-way-ed-wood-would-a-wip/

I also do have a Doom related goal, which is to finish up my first & most likely only Meagwad https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/72969-could-you-would-you-in-a-box-a-2048-wad-by-jaws-in-space-e1-coming-in-august/ it's been on hold ever since I joined TNT Revilution as project lead.

I do have a few other goals, but they're not as important to me as the ones above.

You know, I haven't really thought about it much lol

When I was a younger, the only thing I had on my bucket list was to live in Japan, and I did that in 2004. But since then? Hmm...

• I'd like to catch a tiger muskie from Gross Reservoir
  • Visit a few places: the UK, especially Wales; Russia; Germany; Norway and Sweden; Canada
  • Make a music video
  • Have my own concert

Finish the giant list of WADs to play through for my Youtube channel.

• Plant a tree(actually thinking about it, that one is so easy to do, I could've planted thousands of trees already in my 23 years of life...)
  • Leave something worthwile(not yet sure what that will be, time will tell)
  • See the Himalaya
  • Traveling places like Tibet, Canada, Egypt, Ireland, Italy(Venice to be honest, already was in Florence, Pisa and Verona)
Also this:

mrthejoshmon said:

I always wanted to learn to fly planes or at the very least learn how to fix them, I want to see the world from above.

There is but one thing in my bucket: Fulfill a promise made years ago. Whatever happens until I do, is just a part of the way that I promised I'd walk.

I never thought about it before, but now I'm actually thinking about it.

Probably try to be active in a forum of a thing or band I like, and be a admin of that forum or be a moderator. That's pretty much my internet part of it.

Then I wanna go visit some places I really wanna go to, like Japan or Germany, go hiking and pretty much traveling around the states and all that good stuff.

Oh, and I wanna get to meet Trent Reznor and Roger Waters too.

^^ You don't need to, all cops are fat.

Ok, seriously, not all, but a lot of. And not only in Amercia, but i've seen a lot of fat policemen in my country, too.

Not when they were new, they weren't...unless they were deputies, in which case you don't even need to go to the police academy to become a deputy (at least around here). Those two issues (police obesity and the deputization of untrained persons) are a couple of things I see wrong with the Police Force. I think cops should be required by law to undergo Physical Agility Exams once a year for the duration of their careers to ensure the highest quality officers are the ones who keep their jobs. As far as being able to just be appointed an officer by a county sheriff without any police training or backgound is just obnoxious. I know people who are county deputies just because their uncle is the sheriff. It's a joke.

But to clarify, my desire to lose weight and become a police officer are very loosely related, as I really just want to be healthy. Law Enforcement is just a passion I have.

TraceOfSpades said:

I think cops should be required by law to undergo Physical Agility Exams once a year for the duration of their careers to ensure the highest quality officers are the ones who keep their jobs. Law Enforcement is just a passion I have.

I agree, have you ever looked into Getting into the FBI? If you're serious it can be achieved. Back when I wanted to join that was my goal. As for my bucket list, It would be to program in C++, I think programming is a beautiful craft.

I would like to have a large collection of CDs and LPs (and even cassettes) of my favourite bands. Plus i also want to have a large collection of DVDs and BluRays of my favourite films and physical copies of my favourite games. I'm also very pationate towards various collector's editions of all this stuff.

My current collection is rather obscure: 12 CDs, 2 LPs, 1 DVD and 1 BluRay. Unfortunately, right now there're certain money problems in my family, so i'm not currently able to buy more stuff, but i hope that's not for long.

TraceOfSpades said:

Those two issues (police obesity and the deputization of untrained persons) are a couple of things I see wrong with the Police Force.

Sure, let's completely ignore the fact that people who score low on IQ tests are specifically desired to be recruited as police officers.

^That's pretty funny considering that my father (a retired cop) has an IQ above 140 and retired with the rank of sergeant.

Unless you're talking about this. (Article that discusses how applicants who scored too high on an IQ test were not hired because of their scores).

The reason given makes sense. Have you never felt "above" something so much that you moved on to something better fitting for you? That's what they're worried about. People with higher IQs have a tendency to get bored quicker if they aren't required to use their mind to their fullest potential. Being a police officer is not an inherently intellectually demanding job. In my father's case, he was also the police departments unofficial I.T. guy. He designed their associations webpage and worked on really anything that involved computers whenever there would be a problem.

I will concede to this point: People with higher IQs should not be instantly barred from hire. But I can understsnd the reluctance to hire somebody with a high IQ out of fear that they will get bored and leave the department understaffed.

Also...the hiring standards that you have an issue with have everything to do with the administration side and nothing to do with the actual police officers (just in case you were expressing contempt for the officers themselves).

That's my two cents on it anyway. You're free to your opinion and I won't condemn you for disagreeing.

complete a few game ideas i have in mind, a few of them being advanced ZDoom mods (not gameplay ones, either!), the others being full 3D RPGs with soundtracks scored by myself.

i also have a few songs i would like to make that i've had in mind for a long time, but don't have the experience to make, and some concept album ideas i definitely want to make.

i think that's it all.

What I want to do before I die?

I want to go to an Alice in Chains concert and make a full 32 map megawad by myself. That's it.

TraceOfSpades said:

^That's pretty funny considering that my father (a retired cop) has an IQ above 140 and retired with the rank of sergeant.

Unless you're talking about this. (Article that discusses how applicants who scored too high on an IQ test were not hired because of their scores).

[snip]

I will concede to this point: People with higher IQs should not be instantly barred from hire. But I can understsnd the reluctance to hire somebody with a high IQ out of fear that they will get bored and leave the department understaffed.

Also...the hiring standards that you have an issue with have everything to do with the administration side and nothing to do with the actual police officers (just in case you were expressing contempt for the officers themselves).

Well, there might be a chance that those with a higher IQ get bored, and I can definitely see why employing someone who could be considered "overqualified" by way of "nogging-processing-unit" is something people may shy away from. If they were to move on relatively quickly, there's a chance you'd not get as much "value" out of them in regards how much effort has been put in to educate and train them.

On the other hand though, the people with higher IQs can be considered a threat. I don't mean they'd do any harm out of boredom, or something along those lines. But given how these folks are most likely smarter than the rest, they may be regarded as a threat to their (still) superiors, in regards to their rank/position. Also, the smarter ones can be seen as a threat to the overall harmony in regards to other employees, since they are likely to draw contempt towards themselves, because they tend to climb the ranks quicker.

I've had many instances in which people would look at my grades and then try to pull something arbitrary out of their rear ends to convince me that they would like to employ me, but they'd rather see me doing something else, regardless of what I had in mind for myself.

I can remember a situation in which I was almost willing to accept any job because I needed the money to fund my travels across the globe, because my family did not approve of me simply going where I wanted, to learn things that I otherwise would've missed out on. They'd seen me studying and becoming god knows what they had in mind for me. "What? you're planning on going to a university in a couple years? What do you want in our bakery/supermarket/pub then?" I've had that quite a few times.